Help with Speak (TTS) or any other method in order to redirect audio to the caller.

Massimo Boz

Jun 13, 2024, 8:27:28 AMJun 13
to Automate for Android
Hi, I tried several apps (and Automate seems the most powerful one) in order to create a anti SPAM automation that when I receive an unknown caller (someone not from my phonebook) the app will pick up the call, reply with a preformed audio (TTS will be fine) with a message like: "Due to several spam calls I will reply only to known callers, please leave a message to this number with whatsapp or leave me an email".

So if the caller is a spammer, it will desist and if it is a real person that needs me he can leave me a SMS, WA message, or an email since probably he already have my email.

In any case I can modify and improve the message in future.

But the problem is that any app (Automate too) cannot send audio directly to the caller like I'm talking to the mic.

In the case of Automate i create a flow like this:

Flow beginning
When ringing in-call (10)
Delay
Answer call
Delay
Speak
Delay
End call -> (GOTO 10)

The problem is that if I set Speak as "When completed" . the flow stuck on Speak without speaking and it will not proceed until the caller will not close the call, then after the "End call" the TTS will speak the text.

If i set it as "Immediately" the flow will proceed (with any delay I will try to set) but the audio will be played again only after the "End call"

To me seems that there is some system block that will prevent to send any audio during a call that is not from the mic.

I also tried with some other app (Macrodoid) to do the same like someone suggested to capture a loud audio from notification to the mic, but that seem this wil not work with Automate, since no audio cannot be played until a call end

Can you give me some hint on this to solve it in Automate?

Thank you in advance

Henrik "The Developer" Lindqvist

Jun 13, 2024, 2:06:22 PMJun 13
to Automate for Android
Not possible. Regular apps are not allowed/able to play sound upstream in a phone call, as the documentation say, "Note! Few devices support playback in phone calls through the Voice call audio stream."