Autokey is doing nothing--silly title.

John Kane

Jun 22, 2022, 1:02:33 PM6/22/22
to autokey-users
I have had to reinstall Ubuntu 22.04 and am trying to get things back to a usefull condition. I installed Autokey from the Ubuntu repository  and the abbreviation method of inserting did not seem to work.  It loads and I can enter a phrase, etc., but so far whet I use in in LibreOffice Write, gedit, and R it will not expand.  I have even tried a "purge" and re-installation to little effect. At one point when I click on "Show main Windo I got some weird link to an AutoHotKey pdf!

Rememebering some helpful advice from   sebasti...@gmail.com in                https://groups.google.com/g/autokey-users/c/VzfCqLb028Y/m/_eLnle6cHwAJ
last year I have switched from Wayland to xorg and I am now getting the main window appearing but otherwise I have not a clue on how to approach the problem.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.
thanks.

jos...@main.nc.us

Jun 23, 2022, 1:58:45 AM6/23/22
to autoke...@googlegroups.com
This could be caused by a number of things.

Did you save all your old phrases and scripts and restore them after your
reinstall? If you did, then the first thing to check is whether you saved
and restored the hidden metadata sidecar files that accompany each event
(script or phrase). (As of 0.96.0, they're not hidden any more to help
avoid such problems.)

Did you create the phrase after your reinstall? If so, the above will not
apply to that phrase. In this case, the first thing to try is to open a
very simple application window like a text editor and type your trigger
abbreviation there. If that works, then check any window filters defined
for your phrase. If it doesn't work, then select the Show in notification
icon menu option and save your changes. With the same text editor window
active, right click on the AutoKey icon in your panel and then click on
your phrase in the context menu to run it. If that works, then you issue
is with your trigger abbreviation. If it doesn't work, then do this again
while running an AutoKey trace and see what that shows you. For
instructions on how to run a trace and how to report problems in general,
see
https://github.com/autokey/autokey-python2/wiki/Problem-Reporting-Guide .

We are missing something basic here, so we have to try things one at a
time until the actual problem reveals itself.

Joe
an email to autokey-user...@googlegroups.com.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/autokey-users/a8374c6b-3395-4b53-ab25-fb206a2fa4edn%40googlegroups.com

> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/autokey-users/a8374c6b-3395-4b53-ab25-fb206a2fa4edn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

John Kane

Jun 24, 2022, 10:36:39 AM6/24/22
to autokey-users
Thanks Joe.
I have a Dropbox backup from 2019 but I have not tried to restore it. If I have a look at the Autokey/data/MyPhrases directory I contains a sett of .txt files and a bathing set of hidden .json files.  I have no idea of how to do a restore.

“Did you create the phrase after your reinstall?”
Yes.

“ In this case, the first thing to try is to open a
very simple application window like a text editor and type your trigger
abbreviation there.”

Nothing using gedit

“select the Show in notification
icon menu option and save your changes. “

Done

“With the same text editor window
active, right click on the AutoKey icon in your panel and then click on
your phrase in the context menu to run it.”

Sorry, I do not understand this.  I have tried a right-click on the small ‘A’ icon atthe top of the screen and on tho icon on the sidebar and see nothing that looks like a context menu.

Anyway I loaded autokey from the terminal “-L430:~$ autokey-gtk -l” and after what appears to be standard output, when I tried to insert a phrase in gedit I get

2022-06-24 10:31:30,310 DEBUG - service - Raw key: <Key.ENTER: '<enter>'>, modifiers: [], Key: Key.ENTER
2022-06-24 10:31:30,310 DEBUG - service - Window visible title: '*Untitled Document 1 - gedit', Window class: 'gedit.Gedit'
2022-06-24 10:31:30,311 DEBUG - service - Input queue at end of handle_keypress: deque(['\n'], maxlen=150)
2022-06-24 10:31:30,469 DEBUG - service - Raw key: <Key.ENTER: '<enter>'>, modifiers: [], Key: Key.ENTER
2022-06-24 10:31:30,469 DEBUG - service - Window visible title: '*Untitled Document 1 - gedit', Window class: 'gedit.Gedit'
2022-06-24 10:31:30,470 DEBUG - service - Input queue at end of handle_keypress: deque(['\n', '\n'], maxlen=150)
2022-06-24 10:31:32,747 DEBUG - service - Raw key: '[', modifiers: [], Key: [
2022-06-24 10:31:32,748 DEBUG - service - Window visible title: '*Untitled Document 1 - gedit', Window class: 'gedit.Gedit'
2022-06-24 10:31:32,748 DEBUG - service - Input queue at end of handle_keypress: deque(['\n', '\n', '['], maxlen=150)
2022-06-24 10:31:33,343 DEBUG - service - Raw key: ';', modifiers: [], Key: ;
2022-06-24 10:31:33,343 DEBUG - service - Window visible title: '*Untitled Document 1 - gedit', Window class: 'gedit.Gedit'
2022-06-24 10:31:33,344 DEBUG - service - Input queue at end of handle_keypress: deque(['\n', '\n', '[', ';'], maxlen=150)
2022-06-24 10:31:34,434 DEBUG - service - Raw key: 'l', modifiers: [], Key: l
2022-06-24 10:31:34,434 DEBUG - service - Window visible title: '*Untitled Document 1 - gedit', Window class: 'gedit.Gedit'
2022-06-24 10:31:34,435 DEBUG - service - Input queue at end of handle_keypress: deque(['\n', '\n', '[', ';', 'l'], maxlen=150)
2022-06-24 10:31:34,767 DEBUG - service - Raw key: ' ', modifiers: [], Key:
2022-06-24 10:31:34,767 DEBUG - service - Window visible title: '*Untitled Document 1 - gedit', Window class: 'gedit.Gedit'
2022-06-24 10:31:34,768 DEBUG - service - Input queue at end of handle_keypress: deque(['\n', '\n', '[', ';', 'l', ' '], maxlen=150)

“We are missing something basic here, so we have to try things one at a
time until the actual problem reveals itself. “

Exactly and currently I do not have a clue on how to approach it.

Thanks for all the help so far.

John Kane

Jun 25, 2022, 11:14:42 AM6/25/22
to autokey-users
I finally decided that between mucking around with trying to install Autokey and Joplin that I mad probably mangled the OS beyond my limitet ability to cure so I wiped and reinstalled Ubuntu 22.04 and then rearized tha Autokey was awailable there. So being a bit old fashioned I fired up Synaptic and installed it from there.  So far it works in R but not OpenOffice Writer or gedit.  I just have to remember how to revert to Xorg from Wayland  and thing shoul be okay.

However I see no way to restore my files from Bropbox. Any suggestions?

Thanks

jack

Jun 25, 2022, 11:19:53 AM6/25/22
to autokey-users
If you have 0.95 installed from Ubuntu, get rid of it and install 0.96:

There have been many changes for the better since 0.95.

Jack

jos...@main.nc.us

Jun 25, 2022, 5:27:12 PM6/25/22
to AutoKey List
I would still like to figure out why AutoKey isn't working for your other
applications, but here is how to restore.

First, as long as you're starting mostly fresh, I would recommend
installing 0.96.0, our current release. You get the debs from
https://github.com/autokey/autokey/releases/ and installation
instructions are at https://github.com/autokey/autokey/wiki/Installing.

Easy to restore. There are two variations, depending on whether you want
to copy them or access them directly from Dropbox.

For either method, first quit AutoKey (so it's not running) and then
restart it when done.

If you are using "new" folders for your scripts or phrases (ones that
installing AutoKey doesn't create by default), the first step is to use
the AutoKey main menu to create these folders as empty folders. Then,
exit AutoKey.

If you want local copies of your scripts and phrases, then (with AutoKey
not running) copy the scripts and phrases into the directories where you
want them to appear making sure to include the hidden sidecar files (no
longer hidden as of 0.96.0). Using your file manager with hidden files
displayed or cp -a from the command line (CLI) will do this.

If you want to use Dropbox directly, then instead of copying the files,
replace the existing folders and/or specific files with symlinks to the
ones in Dropbox (ln -s ...). If you are symlinking directories, then you
don't need to symlink the files within them. When you subsequently
restart AutoKey, it should rescan the directories and find them all.

As of 0.96.0, AutoKey is much better at detecting such changes that occur
while it is running, but I would still do it with AutoKey closed to be
safe, especially if you are doing a lot of changes at once.

Joe

On 6/25/22 11:14, John Kane wrote:
> I finally decided that between mucking around with trying to install
Autokey and Joplin that I mad probably mangled the OS beyond my limitet
ability to cure so I wiped and reinstalled Ubuntu If you 22.04 and then
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/autokey-users/a8374c6b-3395-4b53-ab25-fb206a2fa4edn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
> --
an email to autokey-user...@googlegroups.com.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/autokey-users/20b2be94-03c8-46fd-bce1-2c02a2a29456n%40googlegroups.com

> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/autokey-users/20b2be94-03c8-46fd-bce1-2c02a2a29456n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

John Kane

Jun 26, 2022, 8:48:26 AM6/26/22
to autokey-users
Thanks Joe.

I have 0.95.1 running. To  be honest, I am a bit hesitant to try another installation but I suppose I can try.  Do I need to first remove my current installation? If so, what do you suggest as the best way to do it?  I have been using Ubuntu for years but should be considered a long-term novice. I still do not have a really good mental map of Linux.

  <i>I would still like to figure out why AutoKey isn't working for your other applications, ..... </i>

I switched from Wayland to Xorg and Autokey is working well with all the usual suspects now. Thank heavens. I probably only have 7 or 8 phrases in Autokey but I use 3 or maybe 4 of them dozens of times a day.  I had the same problem when I was setting up a new computer last year and someone here or on Stack Overflow suggested the the change but they had no idea why just that Wayland did not play well with some applications.

Again, many thanks.

jos...@main.nc.us

Jun 29, 2022, 6:34:53 AM6/29/22
to autoke...@googlegroups.com
I hope that's a typo! 0.95.10 was our previous release for a year or two
and is probably what almost all distributions still package because
0.96.0 was only released a few weeks ago. 0.95.1 is really old and had a
lot of bugs.

On 6/26/22 08:48, John Kane wrote:
> Thanks Joe.
> I have 0.95.1 running. To  be honest, I am a bit hesitant to try
another installation but I suppose I can try.  Do I need to first
remove my current installation? If so, what do you suggest as the best
way to do it?  I have been using Ubuntu for years but should be
considered a long-term novice. I still do not have a really good mental
map of Linux.

Since you're using Ubuntu (a Debian derivative), it is really easy for
you to upgrade. You get the new packages (debs) from
https://github.com/autokey/autokey/releases/ . You need to download
autokey.common
https://github.com/autokey/autokey/releases/download/v0.96.0/autokey-common_0.96.0_all.deb

and  one of front ends, depending on whether you like GTK (used by Gnome
and similar desktop environments (DTEs)) or Qt (used by the KDE DTE). The
two front ends are almost identical from a user perspective, but they do
have a few quirky minor differences.

Once you have downloaded the files, you can follow the instructions at
https://github.com/autokey/autokey/wiki/Installing.

Before you install, make a backup copy of everything under
$HOME/.config/autokey (making sure you copy all hidden files - files with
names that start with a period and are not usually displayed in your file
manager or on the CLI (command line interface). If you just copy and
paste that whole directory in your file manager - giving the copy a new
name such as autokey_backup, that should get everything. You need it
because that is where all your scripts and phrases are stored by default.
If anything goes wrong (very unlikely), you won't lose all your work.

I've been using Linux for decades and have a programming background, but
to get a handle on Linux I had to read a few books about it. There are a
bunch of good ones, some more technical than others. There are even
Kindle books on Linux these days.

The top levels of Linux are pretty simple. As you get deeper, it gets
more complicated very quickly.

I had a PDF version of Linux For Dummies, but I just looked and it was
copyright 2014 - way too old - so I deleted it.

Your local library should have some. Look them over then buy one or two
you like (used, if you want to) so you can write in them, highlight
things, and  use sticky tags to mark sections you need to come back to.
Stay away from O'Reilly. They're some of the best, but way too technical.

You probably have to read such books more than once. On subsequent
readings, more things will make sense and fit into place. If there are
examples, you need to try doing some of them. It's not something you can
learn just by reading. Whenever possible, start by making and using a
scratch directory that doesn't contain anything you care about so if you
make a mistake, you won't break or lose anything.

If you get stuck or need some perspective, you can contact me off list.

Since you already know about stackexchange, their Superuser Q&A forum is
usually a great place to ask beginner questions. Just remember it's not a
"chat"/discussion/opinions website. You ask questions and get/give
answers.

>   <i>I would still like to figure out why AutoKey isn't working for
your other applications, ..... </i>
> I switched from Wayland to Xorg and Autokey is working well with all
the usual suspects now. Thank heavens. I probably only have 7 or 8
phrases in Autokey but I use 3 or maybe 4 of them dozens of times a
day.  I had the same problem when I was setting up a new computer last
year and someone here or on Stack Overflow suggested the the change but
they had no idea why just that Wayland did not play well with some
applications.

I believe we currently have an open issue for an enhancement to issue a
warning message when Wayland is detected. if we can get it implemented,
it will save a lot of people a lot of grief!

Wayland is very big on privacy/security and prevents a lot of separate
programs from talking to each other. (Similar philosophy to Android.)
That's most of what AutoKey does, so we're not even sure if it will ever
work under Wayland. We don't have any developers who are familiar with
Wayland.

I have been using AutoKey for well over a decade, but I have only a few
scripts and phrases I use a lot. But the top ones get used many times
most days.

I have a couple of scripts that are moderately complex (for automating
Print to file dialogs), but most are very short. One of my favorites is a
one liner  that just types the contents of the clipboard. I use it on
banking websites that prevent me from copy and pasting the password from
my password safe into the site login forms.

I also have just a few phrases I use frequently: My email address, my
street address, and URLs for a bunch of frequently used AutoKey web pages.

Joe
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/autokey-users/20b2be94-03c8-46fd-bce1-2c02a2a29456n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
> --
an email to autokey-user...@googlegroups.com.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/autokey-users/e7a3e994-d3cd-412b-a730-70bffe629cd7n%40googlegroups.com

> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/autokey-users/e7a3e994-d3cd-412b-a730-70bffe629cd7n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

John Kane

Jul 4, 2022, 11:02:21 AM7/4/22
to autokey-users
You were correct, 0.95.1 was a typo.

I seem to have managed to successfully re-install everything. I did run into a rather strange thing. Being lazy I installed autokey-common_0.96.0_all.deb using the Ubuntu Software apt with no problem but when I tried to do the same with autokey-gtk_0.96.0_all.deb  it reported that I had 0.95.10 and then that I had unmet dependencies!

I tried ~/Downloads$ sudo dpkg -i autokey-gtk_0.96.0_all.deb and everything went well.

Anyway, I am very grateful for all the help.