Importing existring folders and phrases

Nick Pnevmatikatos

Jun 14, 2022, 8:45:06 AM6/14/22
to autokey-users
I recently ran into the problem that I can't seem to be able to import an existing folder into autokey.

What I mean by "importing" is: I have a folder that contains a bunch of autokey phrases. I can tell autokey to take ownership of that folder by means of "New->folder->create elsewhere->etc" but autokey doesn't recognize the files within and simply displays it as an empty folder.

Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance

jos...@main.nc.us

Jun 18, 2022, 5:43:24 PM6/18/22
to autoke...@googlegroups.com
Welcome to AutoKey!

This can be caused by several things.

First, each phrase and script has a sidecar file containing its
metadata. If you're using AutoKey 0.95.10 or earlier, these files are
hidden (their names start with a period), so you might not have copied
them into the new folder. That's the first thing to check.

The generally safest way to import stuff like this is to create a new,
empty folder within AutoKey using the AutoKey main menu, quit AutoKey,
copy the new event (phrase and script) files into that new folder, and
then restart AutoKey. AutoKey was not very good at noticing new files and
integrating them into the system when the changes occurred while it was
running. A few releases ago, doing it the way you probably did it would
have created an empty folder, deleting all your event files!

If you have upgraded to our newest release, 0.96.0 (available from us,
but not directly from many distro packaging systems yet), the sidecar
files are no longer hidden, so they are unlikely to have been missed when
copying and AutoKey is much better at noticing external changes to files
it cares about.

BTW, your new directory can be a symlink which opens up all sorts of
possibilities. (You have to replace the new, preferably empty, directory
created from within AutoKey with the symlink while AutoKey isn't running
to be safe.)

See if these things fix it for you. If not, post back here with more
details.

Joe
an email to autokey-user...@googlegroups.com.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/autokey-users/bf19feab-e85e-41a0-8473-b019a976b1ecn%40googlegroups.com

> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/autokey-users/bf19feab-e85e-41a0-8473-b019a976b1ecn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Nick Pnevmatikatos

Jun 18, 2022, 6:20:39 PM6/18/22
to autokey-users
Hey! Thanks for the reply.

I just tried the method you suggested and I'm happy to report it works just fine!

However I feel like a more straightforward import button would be a nice addition to autokey. I'd be willing to implement it if you if you also think it's worthwhile

Thanks for the help!

Nick

jos...@main.nc.us

Jun 18, 2022, 6:53:21 PM6/18/22
to autoke...@googlegroups.com
Great to see it working for you!

Developers capable of working on AutoKey are a very scarce resource around
here, so we are very happy to welcome new contributors.

To explore this, I would first post about it on Gitter where the
developers and advanced users hang out. https://gitter.im/autokey/autokey

Of course, at any point, you can open a feature request issue on GitHub or
submit a pull request against our development branch.

But you might get some useful feedback on Gitter first. (The developers
don't usually participate in this forum.)

Joe