Autokey window pops up at startup

Cecilieaux

Apr 30, 2021, 12:22:20 PM4/30/21
to autokey-users
I have my copy set as a startup application in Linux Mint 20.1 on both my desktop and my laptop, with an icon on the taskbar. Lately, on the laptop, the Autokey's Main Window  keeps popping up as soon as the desktop environment is on. What can I do to stop this and have it sit silently on the taskbar?

Sam Sebastian

Apr 30, 2021, 12:36:22 PM4/30/21
to autoke...@googlegroups.com
If you have manually added the autokey service to a startup script make sure the command to launch autokey does not include -c for showing the window.

If you are using the autokey auto start function find the autokey.desktop file and check the Exec= line for the same flag (-c) and remove it.

There might be a setting in the autokey settings itself, not sure off the top of my head and afk atm.

On Fri, Apr 30, 2021, 12:22 Cecilieaux <cecil...@gmail.com> wrote:
I have my copy set as a startup application in Linux Mint 20.1 on both my desktop and my laptop, with an icon on the taskbar. Lately, on the laptop, the Autokey's Main Window  keeps popping up as soon as the desktop environment is on. What can I do to stop this and have it sit silently on the taskbar?

Little Girl

Apr 30, 2021, 12:42:50 PM4/30/21
to autokey-users
The shortcut in your startup applications may use the -c or --configure command-line option, which opens the main window of AutoKey. Removing the option from the shortcut should take care of it.

Cecilio

May 3, 2021, 1:12:51 PM5/3/21
to autoke...@googlegroups.com
Wow! A blast from the past! You still have the answers.

This is an obligatory happy ending.

Cecilio Morales
(he / him, name ends in O not A)
http://cecilieaux.blogspot.com/ (Cecilieaux Bois de Mûrier)

Little Girl

May 3, 2021, 4:30:39 PM5/3/21
to autokey-users
Only some of them, but I'm glad it worked out.

ineuw

Jun 19, 2021, 6:08:46 PM6/19/21
to autokey-users
This is an important post and should be brought to the attention of the developers. The switch is included in the gtk setup, but not qt. Why have the -c switch included with the setup altogether? It makes no sense.

Little Girl

Jun 19, 2021, 11:15:12 PM6/19/21
to autoke...@googlegroups.com
Hey there,

>This is an important post and should be brought to the attention of
>the developers. The switch is included in the gtk setup, but not qt.
>Why have the -c switch included with the setup altogether? It makes
>no sense.

Interesting. It seems that the current GTK version of AutoKey ships
with the -c option enabled, but the current QT version ships with
it disabled. That was probably just an oversight on the part of the
person who packaged the software. Both versions accept the option,
though, so if you have a preference different from the default
behavior for either version, you can edit the shortcut.

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.

I neuw

Jun 20, 2021, 12:54:21 AM6/20/21
to autoke...@googlegroups.com
My point was not to package the software with any command line switch.

jos...@main.nc.us

Jun 20, 2021, 2:38:56 PM6/20/21
to autoke...@googlegroups.com
Try this in the 0.96 beta. I believe it's already fixed.

Joe

> This is an important post and should be brought to the attention of the
> developers. The switch is included in the gtk setup, but not qt. Why have
> the -c switch included with the setup altogether? It makes no sense.
>

> On Monday, May 3, 2021 at 4:30:39 PM UTC-4 Little Girl wrote:
>
>> Only some of them, but I'm glad it worked out.
>>
>> On Monday, May 3, 2021 at 1:12:51 PM UTC-4 Cecilieaux wrote:
>>
>>> Wow! A blast from the past! You still have the answers.
>>>
>>> This is an obligatory happy ending.
>>>
>>> Cecilio Morales
>>> (he / him, name ends in O not A)
>>> http://cecilieaux.blogspot.com/ (Cecilieaux Bois de Mûrier)

> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/autokey-users/e2f6cd38-43ff-4df9-bfa1-12cb51ba7d17n%40googlegroups.com.

I neuw

Jun 20, 2021, 8:48:19 PM6/20/21
to autoke...@googlegroups.com
Installed 96.0-beta5 but it's still the same although I watched the messages and beta4 was uninstalled successfully.
I reiterate that this is not the most important issue.

Little Girl

Jun 20, 2021, 9:19:38 PM6/20/21
to autoke...@googlegroups.com
Hey there,

I neuw wrote:

>My point was not to package the software with any command line
>switch.

Yep, although I suppose that depends on the desired behavior of the
program. If the option isn't enabled, the program is launched in the
background and an icon appears in the tray. If a user doesn't know to
check the tray, they might think the program didn't open. By making
sure the Main Window opens when starting the program, there's no
doubt that it's running.

I realize that an experienced user might not need such behavior, but
I suspect these sorts of decisions are made with new users in mind.

This option would make a nice addition to the internal Settings in
AutoKey so that a user could make a decision on that behavior from
within AutoKey instead of by editing its shortcut. If there isn't one
already, you could create an issue for it and also mention this in the
Gitter channel since that's where the devs hang out.

Meanwhile, this page lists the currently-known GNU/Linux and BSD
distributions that offer AutoKey:

https://github.com/autokey/autokey/wiki/Current-Linux-distributions-shipping-AutoKey

Each of them probably has a person who did the packaging and who
would need to be contacted to review whether the option should be
disabled in the future or not.

jos...@main.nc.us

Jun 22, 2021, 8:17:35 PM6/22/21
to autoke...@googlegroups.com
I know this was discussed before and I'll research it when I get a chance.

My thinking on this is that one usually spends some time defining and
editing AutoKey actions and then just uses it.

I use AutoKey many times every day and it starts every time I log in.
I edit/modify actions a few times a month and some of that is for working
on issue reports.

For me, AutoKey is just a built-in utility of my desktop. I relatively
rarely want to see its Menu because it just works without me having to pay
attention to it. Having to dismiss the main menu every time I start
AutoKey would be a major hassle for me.

Since the -c parameter exists, it is quite easy for anyone to modify their
startup scripts to add the -c to the AutoKey invocation. Because some
users might not know how to do this, we could add instructions on how to
do it to our wiki.

Joe
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/autokey-users/60cfe927.1c69fb81.c9071.d393%40mx.google.com.

Little Girl

Jun 22, 2021, 9:27:08 PM6/22/21
to autoke...@googlegroups.com
Hey there,

jos...@main.nc.us wrote:

>My thinking on this is that one usually spends some time defining and
>editing AutoKey actions and then just uses it.

Yep, that's probably pretty common, although some of us are tinkerers
who often go in and create test scripts or phrases to mess around, to
perfect something that already exists, to solve a problem, etc.

>I use AutoKey many times every day and it starts every time I log in.
>I edit/modify actions a few times a month and some of that is for
>working on issue reports.

My copy of AutoKey doesn't start when I log in, but I use it
sporadically throughout the day and often edit or add phrases or
scripts to it.

>For me, AutoKey is just a built-in utility of my desktop. I
>relatively rarely want to see its Menu because it just works without
>me having to pay attention to it. Having to dismiss the main menu
>every time I start AutoKey would be a major hassle for me.

Yep, and I think I neuw feels the same way. I, on the other hand, not
only don't mind seeing the Main Window when AutoKey starts up, but I
actually want it to pop up any time I launch the program in case I
need to edit or add a script or phrase, which I often do.

>Since the -c parameter exists, it is quite easy for anyone to modify
>their startup scripts to add the -c to the AutoKey invocation.
>Because some users might not know how to do this, we could add
>instructions on how to do it to our wiki.

That's a good idea. Another possibility is to add the option to the
"Configure AutoKey" submenu inside of the "Settings" menu in AutoKey,
which is most likely where a new user would look for it.

Interestingly, there is such an option in there in the Qt version of
AutoKey, but it's greyed out by default since it's only available if
you enable the "Automatically start AutoKey after login" option. That
would make it a useful option only for those who want the program to
start on log-in and also probably wouldn't affect the state of
AutoKey's Main Window if the program were closed and launched again
during the same session.

jos...@main.nc.us

Jun 24, 2021, 3:43:01 AM6/24/21
to autoke...@googlegroups.com
I would guess that this option modifies the AutoKey autostart script which
would explain why it's not available when autostart is not enabled.

If either of you want to pursue this further, I suggest taking the
discussion to Gitter where the devs will see it or filing an enhancement
issue on GitHub.

Joe

> --
> Little Girl
>
> There is no spoon.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/autokey-users/60d28deb.1c69fb81.af1db.ae36%40mx.google.com.

Little Girl

Jun 24, 2021, 3:15:04 PM6/24/21
to autoke...@googlegroups.com
Hey there,

jos...@main.nc.us wrote:

>I would guess that this option modifies the AutoKey autostart script
>which would explain why it's not available when autostart is not
>enabled.

Yep, and it would only affect the initial start of the program when
the computer is booted, but not on subsequent launches of the program.

>If either of you want to pursue this further, I suggest taking the
>discussion to Gitter where the devs will see it or filing an
>enhancement issue on GitHub.

I'll jump in and comment on it if it gets brought over, but don't
have any plans to do so. With as busy as the new dev is in figuring
out the mess of code, I don't want to add a task. Also, as you
pointed out, the -c option can be documented in the wiki and one or
more of us will be happy to mention it, when needed, in any of these
social areas.