Re: Autokey seems not to be working using UBUNTU 18.04 LTS

Joe

Oct 20, 2018, 4:48:22 PM10/20/18
to autoke...@googlegroups.com
Welcome to the list, Stephan.

We need more information to be able to assist you.

Please see
https://github.com/autokey/autokey-python2/wiki/Problem-Reporting-Guide

In particular, what version of AutoKey did you install? If it's 0.90.4,
it's six years old and unmaintained - but some distributions still
package it.

You can find instructions for getting a much more recent version here:

https://github.com/autokey/autokey/wiki/Installing#debian-and-derivatives

If you already have 0.93.x or newer, then we will have to look into this
further.

We would need to know what one of your specific phrases is and all of
its settings - like what triggers it and if there's a window filter.

If there's not something obvious wrong there, we would need a trace (see
the Problem Reporting Guide).

I am currently running 0.95.4 (beta version) on kubuntu 18.04 and it
works great.

Joe

On 10/20/2018 04:01 PM, Stephan Plonka wrote:
> Dear Fellows,
>
> I run UBUNTU 18.04 and installed AUTOKEY. The programm itself ist
> running properley, but I do not get the autofill funcionality to be
> working. Whatever I do, whatever program I am using (whatsapp,
> telegram, Libre Office, Mail) AUTOKEY seems TBST

Stephan Plonka

Oct 21, 2018, 9:34:50 AM10/21/18
to autokey-users
First of all I want to say thank you very, very much for this detailed answer. Next weekend a good friend (Linux Professional) of mine is visiting me and I let him do the installation in the way you expained it to me.

I will keep you informed if everything is working fine after this.

With kind regards (and I am very glad to get your help)
Stephan

Stephan Plonka

Oct 21, 2018, 9:51:02 AM10/21/18
to autokey-users
I could not withstand to key in the few lines:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:sporkwitch/autokey
$ sudo apt update
$ sudo apt install autokey-gtk # Install the GTk3 based GUI

When starting Autokey I keep getting an error message. Please see screenshots.
Any idea what went wrong?

Am Samstag, 20. Oktober 2018 22:48:22 UTC+2 schrieb Joe:
Bildschirmfoto_2018-10-21_15-48-31.png
Bildschirmfoto_2018-10-21_15-49-02.png

Stephan Plonka

Oct 21, 2018, 10:00:10 AM10/21/18
to autokey-users
Here is another screenshot.

Am Samstag, 20. Oktober 2018 22:48:22 UTC+2 schrieb Joe:
Bildschirmfoto_2018-10-21_15-58-56.png

Keith Bainbridge

Oct 21, 2018, 6:25:41 PM10/21/18
to autoke...@googlegroups.com
G'day Stephan

In a terminal type

kill 11054

Then start auotkey again

Best

Keith BAINBRIDGE

keit...@gmail.com

0447 667 468

Sent from my Apad

Here is another screenshot.

Joe

Oct 21, 2018, 7:25:17 PM10/21/18
to autoke...@googlegroups.com
I haven't see those errors before. I'll show them to the developers and
find out what they mean.

We'd need to start AutoKey from a terminal and see what messages it puts
out.

autokey-gtk -l

Then, copy and paste the results into an email to us.

As for Keith's advice: That will work fine if you do it right when it
happens with that exact message, but if you try it later, you may end up
killing the wrong process.

pkill autokey

is much safer because it will find the right processes and kill them.

Sometimes (rarely), when AutoKey has an issue, it will get stuck and sit
there. Then when you try to run it again, it sees that it's already
running and quits. That's when pkill comes in handy.

BTW, I know a lot of people who know more about Linux than I do, but
none of them are available to come over to my house to help me. If you
have friends like that, keep them!

However, if you live in or near a city, there may be a Linux Users Group
(lug) in your area. If so, it would be very beneficial for you to join
them (usually free). They're usually people very excited about Linux who
will be unhappy if they can't help you! Some groups get quite technical
in their presentations, etc., but they always want to help more people
use Linux productively.

If it hadn't been for the support of the lug in my area, I would never
have even tried to install Linux when I did and I already had some Unix
experience! Things are much easier these days, but we all need help with
things. I always have a list of things that I don't know how to
configure or fix.

Joe
> > an email to autokey-user...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>
> > <mailto:autokey-user...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>>.
> <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.

drjlm

Oct 30, 2018, 8:20:14 AM10/30/18
to autokey-users
Does anybody know the command to show the main window (from the terminal)? Ie, to emulate the action of clicking 'Show Main Window' on the notification icon.

Stephan Plonka

Nov 6, 2018, 4:01:02 PM11/6/18
to autokey-users
Hello Joe,

the command pkill autokey terminates autokey but as soon as I start again it will produce the same error. If I do autokey-gtk -l in a Terminal a get a long list of instructions. Please see attached file. Unfortunately I don't get the program to be working but need to urgently.

Kind regards
Stephan
>     > <mailto:autokey-users+unsub...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>>.
>     <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.