how to activate autokey main window from command line ?

Zhe Lee

Jan 24, 2022, 4:09:33 AM1/24/22
to autokey-users
Everytime when I want to add new script to autokey, I need to find the tray cion (which is small) and click it to activate the main window of autokey. My question is : is there a way to activate it from command line, so I dont need to find it on screen manually.

Johnny Rosenberg

Jan 24, 2022, 12:14:44 PM1/24/22
to autoke...@googlegroups.com
Den mån 24 jan. 2022 kl 10:09 skrev Zhe Lee <imleg...@gmail.com>:
Everytime when I want to add new script to autokey, I need to find the tray cion (which is small) and click it to activate the main window of autokey. My question is : is there a way to activate it from command line, so I dont need to find it on screen manually.

There is an even better way. Have a look at Edit → Preferences → Special Hotkeys → Show configuration window using a hotkey
Mine is set to Super+k and you can set it to something else using the Set key if you want to. So no need to open a terminal, if you wouldn't open it anyway… and I don't think you can open it from the terminal anyway, but if someone says I'm wrong, I'll accept that… :)

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg

jos...@main.nc.us

Jan 24, 2022, 6:41:33 PM1/24/22
to autoke...@googlegroups.com
Your suggestion of using a hotkey is probably the best solution for this,
but the CLI is fine too.

Just run autokey-qt -c or autokey-gtk -c. This will display the main
AutoKey menu. If AutoKey wasn't already running, it will start it, if it
was, it will just exit after displaying the menu.

If you think you may run this when AutoKey is not already running, then
you should add an ampersand & after the command to run it in the
background so it doesn't tie up your terminal or script. Also, you might
want to add something like 2>/dev/null on the end to get rid of all the
informative and error messages AutoKey writes to stdout. I can never
remember how to combine that with the standalone ampersand, but it's easy
to look up on the internet.

Joe