Glad this group is back...and I would love some advice.

marciemca

Jul 22, 2009, 3:54:29 PM7/22/09
to Autoimmune Support Group
Hi, I am 36 and was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis and sjogrens
syndrome 3 years ago. I try to have a good attitude but sometimes it
is difficult since my whole world was turned upside down (which I am
sure is the same for all of you!). I worked in Human Resources for 8
years but had to stop working due to mostly extreme fatigue and pain.
I have been on many different meds but I am currently on Orencia which
is helping. I was on private disability up until May. I applied for
SSI disability but was denied twice. At this point I would like to
work but I don't know what I can do. I am pretty sure that full time
work is not in the cards right now (because I continue to have daily
fatigue and pain). I would like a part time job but this is not very
common in HR. I could always work retail but I don't know if I would
hold up since I have a lot of pain in my feet. Does anyone have any
suggestions on any work that I can do while being partially disabled?
It has been very frustrating for me.... Thanks for any suggestions
and I look forward to hearing from you.
Marcie

Hopeful Sojourner

Jul 22, 2009, 11:10:14 PM7/22/09
to autoimmune-s...@googlegroups.com
If nobody has suggested it yet, get in contact with the ACCESS Program at 888-700-7010 for legal consultation.  There is ABSOLUTELY NO cost to you at any time.  They sign a contract with you stating that they will NEVER charge you anything or even a percentage of your recovery period.  Now they cover certain diseases and I believe they are all autoimmune.  Have you ever had a echo-cardiogram?  You talked about fatigue.  Are you having problems with steps?  I am getting at the possibility of you being screened for pulmonary arterial hypertension.  Please believe that I do not wish this on anyone, but if you have it in the beginning stages, there are many treatments and lots of help with medical.  Also, just because you have been turned down by SS, you still have the right to appeal.  It took me many years until I found ACCESS.  They did wonders for me and at absolutely no charge.  And just for your information, if you cannot sustain a 40 hour work week, then you are disabled.  Even if you are disabled, you can earn some part-time money, if you can work at all.  I believe the last figure I heard was 12k without fear of loosing your disability.  And, your 2 year waiting period for Medicare starts from the day you filed your application.  The medical coverage is VITAL.  If I can be of more assistance email me at hopefuls...@gmail.com and I will give you my home phone if you like.  I am a retired psychologist and my wife, Debbie, is a critical care nurse.  We send you our best and know you will find support here within our group.

Deb Brockett

Jul 22, 2009, 11:52:54 PM7/22/09
to autoimmune-s...@googlegroups.com
God Bless you Hopeful Sojourner!

It is people like you that keep us (autoimmune) HOPEFUL too.

DebB

marciemca

Aug 25, 2009, 11:37:02 AM8/25/09
to Autoimmune Support Group
Thank you for your help. I just submitted my third appeal to SSI to
request a hearing. I have consulted with a lawyer so I am hopeful. I
had an echo cardiogram in April. I had chest and stomach pain so I
was admitted to the hospital in March. It was concluded that I am
having GI symptoms related to the autoimmune diseases. I am seeing a
GI now. I am also seeing a rheumatologist at the Cleveland Clinic
next month. My fatigue is the biggest problem and it seems the
Sjogrens is my biggest issue.

Thank you!
Marcie