BUG!!!! MText Mirroring Problem (not caused by Mirrtext variable)

Julian Gonzalez

Jul 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/14/98
The problem is with Mtext and the Mirroring of Mtext.
(The problem is not the MIRRTEXT variable)

To repeat the problem, try this:

Create Mtext.
Rotate 90 degrees.
Mirror the rotated Mtext along the X-axis.
Do not delete the original.

When you compare the mirrored Mtext and the original Mtext, there is a
difference.
One Mtext faces one way (--->)
The other Mtext faces another way (<---)
It is not a true mirror of the original Mtext.

This is a major problem.
I am the Production Manager for a legindary residential home builder.
Many times we have a need to take an existing, completed set of construction
documents and mirror them. These plans are already completed; idealy, other
than mirroring, there should be no more work or time needed to have a
finished set of construction documents.
We all agree that MTEXT is great, and in turn, most of our text is MTEXT.
The Problem above creates a ton of work and lost time. We have to go in and
mirror each Mtext individualy about it's own center line, insuring that it
is positioned correctly.

If you have any solutions, or could possibly post this question to your
readers, I would greatly appreciate the effort.

Thank You,

Julian Gonzalez

Frank Whaley

Jul 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/14/98
to Julian Gonzalez
Julian Gonzalez wrote:

> The problem is with Mtext and the Mirroring of Mtext.
> (The problem is not the MIRRTEXT variable)

There is a difference between Text and MText handling of the mirroring operation
when MIRRTEXT=0. This is demonstrated by the following script:-----
(command "text" "2,2" 0.2 90 "Text")
(command "-mtext" "4,2" "r" 90 "w" 0 "MText" "")
(setq oMT (getvar "MIRRTEXT"))
(setvar "MIRRTEXT" 0)
(command "mirror" "all" "" "2,2" "4,2" "n")
(setvar "MIRRTEXT" oMT)
-----
Note that the mirrored MText object is rotated 180° from the similarly mirrored
Text object. This defect has been reported to the AutoCAD team. In the
meantime, the following "FIXM" command can be used to adjust MText objects
exhibiting this specific problem (but this is not a generic solution).

(defun c:fixm (/ el)
(setq el (entget (car (entsel))))
(if (= "MTEXT" (cdr (assoc 0 el)))
(entmod (setq el (subst '(71 . 3) (assoc 71 el) el)
el (subst '(50 . 1.570796326794897) (assoc 50 el) el) ) )
)
(princ)
)
--
Frank Whaley
Autodesk, Inc.

Josh

Jul 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/15/98
to Julian Gonzalez
I've never actually looked at reversed plans but aren't they a true mirror of
the original set (everything, including text, is read backwards)? If so,
wouldn't simply changing your VPOINT to 0,0,-1 "mirror" your plans without
actually EDITING them? Instead of viewing the entities from above (0,0,1) you
will look at them from below. I haven't tried this but it seemed like it would
work....let me know, ok?

BTW, if you are using an HP DesignJet plotter, most (all?) have a setting to
mirror whatever is sent to it...so you don't even have to do anything to your
drawing but plot it again.

Later
--
Josh
jo...@mindspring.com

Julian Gonzalez wrote:

> The problem is with Mtext and the Mirroring of Mtext.
> (The problem is not the MIRRTEXT variable)

Dave Jones

Jul 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/16/98
Wouldn't the framers love that :) What Julian was looking for, I
believe, is a means to create mirror image house plans, as is common
for spec houses in a tract. Everything gets mirrored, except text (and
mtext) which would remain as it read in the original drawing.

Dave

Josh

Jul 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/16/98
Dave Jones wrote:

> Wouldn't the framers love that :)

I know, I know..."Damn draftsman, wadda I look like, a mirror?"...but I do recall
hearing on one of those "This Old House"-wannabe shows, "Mirrored floor plans are
usually sent with one standard plan so that the subs can read the text..." so that's
where I got the idea from :)

Later
--
Josh