Raster Graphics access in AutoCAD r14

David Longnecker

Jun 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/2/99
I am attempting to find the best way to bring in a TIFF raster image
into AR14, and to save it back out again into an AutoCAD format. Also I
need to be able to 'erase' parts of the image, crop the image, and draw
and plot on top of the image. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions,
they are openly welcomed.

Thanks!

David Longnecker
Aero Mach Labs, Inc.

Lila

Jun 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/2/99
AutoCAD can insert raster images and do some simple editing. I got the
following list of commands that pertain to image attaching/editing from
the help file. If you start Help, go to the Content tab and open up the
book called "Command Reference" then the chapter called "Commands" you
can find an alphabetical list of commands. This list was (obviously)
under "I". Each command has a link to another page with more detailed
information.

As for plotting, you should be able to plot a raster/vector mix directly
from AutoCAD, depending on what type of output device you have.

Hope this helps.

IMAGE -- Inserts images in many formats into an AutoCAD drawing file
IMAGEADJUST -- Controls the brightness, contrast and fade values of the
selected image
IMAGEATTACH -- Attaches a new image object and definition
IMAGECLIP -- Creates new clipping boundaries for single image objects
IMAGEFRAME -- Controls whether the image frame is displayed on the
screen or hidden from view
IMAGEQUALITY -- Controls the display quality of images

--
***Please remove "XXX" from email address when responding directly***
---

David Longnecker

Jun 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/3/99
Lila-

Is there a way to "edit" or to erase parts of the raster image in AutoCAD?
to say, change the position of a life from one place to another.. We thought
of creating a solid box over the line.. but that's as far as we are.

Thanks!

-david

Lila

Jun 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/3/99
Change the position of a life? I hope you mean line....

AutoCAD has no other image editing capabilities other than cropping and
changing the overall quality, brightness, contrast etc.

In order to change what the raster image looks like (i.e. changing the
position of a line), you'll have to use a raster image editor such as
photoshop, paintbrush etc.

--
***Please remove "XXX" from email address when responding directly***
---

Jeff Porter

Jun 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/3/99
Did you try putting a wipeout (Bonus tools) over the area you don't want
to show up?
--
Jeff Porter
Porter & Chester Institute, Watertown, CT, USA

Bill Mollman

Jun 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/7/99
Hi All,

CAD Overlay will allow editing of raster images as well as hybrid vector
entities.

Keep up the good work,

--
billm
(Remove "ns" from address to rely by email)

David Salzberg

Jul 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/16/99
New REM with SmartPick in CAD Overlay 2000 will allow you to select a raster
line, arc or circle and move it using standard AutoCAD commands.

New product information available at:

http://www.autodesk.com/cadoverlay

SAN RAFAEL, Calif., July 15, 1999 - Autodesk, Inc. (Nasdaq: ADSK) today
announced that Autodesk® CAD Overlay® 2000 software is now shipping to
customers worldwide. This new release increases the ease and speed with
which users can edit, integrate, and convert scanned drawings and
photographs, known as raster images, with CAD projects. Now, architectural
and mechanical engineers can more efficiently revise or convert existing
paper drawings, drastically reducing project cycle time and costs. Further,
mapping and land development professionals can more effectively incorporate
imagery such as scanned aerial photographs and satellite data into their
work to create compelling presentations. Important new features and
enhancements for users across multiple disciplines include Raster Entity
Manipulation (REM) with SmartPick, Raster Snap, improved image display and
integration with AutoCAD® 2000-based products.