Polylines do not join

Juan Plata

Jan 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/14/99
Hello,

I keep having the following problem w/ AutoCAD's PEDIT Command as far back
as I can remember (Release 12 Release 13 & Release 14 for sure):

I try to join lines and arcs that meet at the same endpoints to create
closed Polylines and AutoCAD cannot do it, even when I move lines and arcs
to meet endpoint to endpoint.
Sometimes I have a closed Polyline, explode it, and then try to join the
entities back to a closed polyline (without doing any editing) and AutoCAD
does not do it.

I tried the PLJOIN.ARX application but it only works if all entities to be
joined are plines already.

The BOUNDARY Command sometimes works, but Does Not most of the time, even
when I give it an internal point inside a closed Polyline!!

The only way I can get a closed Polyline is to draw a new polyline over the
existing entities, or sometimes it works when I wblock the entities to a new
DWG File. This is Time consuming, though.

Can anybody Help?

Sincerely,

Juan Plata
10201...@compuserve.com

R.K. McSwain

Jan 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/14/99
Look for Polyline controls at: http://www.dotsoft.com/

--
R.K. McSwain
y...@pdq.net

David Garrigues

Jan 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/15/99
Try using mpedit then when it says convert all say yes.

now try using pljoin

HTH
David at the CADapult
http://www.geocities.com/~cadapult

Keith Kempker

Jan 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/15/99
David's right. If you have ploylines and then you explode them, they
become LINES, there not ploylines anymore. You have to use mpedit from you
bonus tools and then say yes, it's basiclly converting the lines into
polylines.
--
Remove ".ns" to email me

Keith Kempker

David Garrigues <davi...@gte.net> wrote in article
<369f352a....@adesknews.autodesk.com>...

Jim Frame

Jan 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/15/99
Juan Plata wrote:

> I try to join lines and arcs that meet at the same endpoints to create
> closed Polylines and AutoCAD cannot do it, even when I move lines and arcs
> to meet endpoint to endpoint.

I recall running into this in R12, and concluded that it only occurred
when the entities all had large (state plane) coordinate values. I
haven't tested for the problem in in R14, but if it is, in fact, related
to database precision, I would expect it to occur in R14 as well.

Skipster

Jan 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/15/99
I have always just grabbed a "first" segment with pedit, converted it, and
grabbed the rest of the lines by window...always works unless I run into
gaps (like the ones that the fillet commands create at high coord systems.)
Does mpedit take care of the gaps?

--
"In the future, scientists will learn how to
convert stupidity into clean fuel"

David Garrigues

Jan 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/16/99
>Does mpedit take care of the gaps?

Skipster,

Mpedit in_this_case is only used for converting the lines to
polylines. The tool was meant to do all the other things that you
would normally only be able to do to a single polyline like

Open/Close/Width/Fit/Spline/Decurve/Ltype gen/eXit <X>:

which obviously differs from the real pedit command

Close/Join/Width/Edit vertex/Fit/Spline/Decurve/Ltype gen/Undo/eXit
<X>:

the mpedit command is missing an Undo, and Join. It is also missing
the edit vertex (naturally because you have lots of plines picked)

NOW here is the really long part.

Because in your case you are using the pljoin.arx that came off the
AutoDESK website and I am using the one off the VIP there is a
difference in how yours operates.

My pljoin will not only ask for a fuzz factor but also convert them to
polylines. Since your (free) version does not include the ability to
convert that is why you must use the mpedit command first.

Cool?

Stefan

Jan 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/19/99
Hello,
I had the same Problem and found a solution on my own, perhaps it works
for you too
(I only use the Old-Style-Polylines not the new Lightweight-PL):

do you use a User-Coordinate-System? Change to the
World-Coordinate-System and try again
(you have to move the endpoints again). Even if you only rotate the
Coord-System about
the Z-Axis the PEDIT's join don't work most of the time.

If this works, let me know, otherwise forget it :-)
Good luck.