Basic Dimensions in AutoCAD 14

D.C.Clark

Feb 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/12/99
In the Dimension Styles dialog box select Annotation, from the Tolerance
Method listbox select Basic.

--
David Clark, Code 547.0
NASA, Goddard Space Flight Center

Don Decker

Feb 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/12/99

John Morris

Feb 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/13/99
>In the Dimension Styles dialog box select Annotation, from the Tolerance
>Method listbox select Basic.
>
>Don Decker wrote:
>>
>> In Mechanical drawing I often need to create Basic dimensions. (dimension
>> text boxed. How do you do it.

What's the advantage to doing the above?? I have
never used text boxes with dimensions and am just
curious. Does it just make the dimensions "look"
better..... or is there some other real
advantage??

Bill Mollman

Feb 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/13/99
Hi John,

I stand to be corrected on this, but...........

The "Basic Dimension" box around the text shows the base value to be
used in Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing, i.e.. True Position.
If I have a hole with GD&T that specifies true position of .001 dia.,
then the locational dims for that hole should be Basic Dimensions.

--
billm
(Please remove "ns" from email address to reply by email)

Jim Strenk

Feb 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/14/99
"Basic" dimensions show theoretically exact dimensions. Basic dimensions
are used to describe the theoretically exact size, profile. orientation or
location of a feature or datum target.
--
Please remove nospam from my address before responding!

John Morris <jmo...@chromerod.com> wrote in article
<36c5d4f4....@adesknews.autodesk.com>...

G-K

Feb 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/14/99

John,

The advantages are too numerous to explain even in a series of thorough
e-mail resposes. Looking better, however is NOT one of them. Using a Basic
dimension implies that both the draftsperson and the end users are knowledgable
in the application an interpretation of ANSI Y-14.5 , Geometric Dimensioning
and Tolerancing Standards.
By this I mean, unless you know what they are for, please don't use them.

Mark Gutting-Kilzer
Tri-Star Engineering, Inc.