PLEASE make a version for Mac

Patrick

Jun 16, 2024, 2:33:14 AMJun 16
to AutoControl
We need this so badly. I hope it is possible somehow. I would pay $10

AutoControl support

Jun 17, 2024, 3:48:18 AMJun 17
to AutoControl
Unfortunately, it's not possible to make promises at the moment.
There's a more urgent matter for now, which is to port AutoControl to the new "Manifest V3" extension platform. There will be some features that won't be possible under that new platform so we are trying to delay the transition as much as possible. There's still some time left, but Google is increasing their pressure on all developers to migrate. So, our hands are full at the moment with that.

In regard to the native component, which is only supported on Windows, the fundamental difficulty with Unix-based operating systems (such as macOS), is that they lack a feature called "system hook". This is a very handy mechanism provided by the Windows kernel that allows applications to modify the behavior of the system in different places. This is what allows AutoControl to do its magic, and it's the reason why AutoControl was started as a project in the first place.
It's still technically possible to achieve something similar in macOS, but it's much more laborious and technically challenging. It also requires tricks and shaddy techniques that Apple is not fond of, which is another difficult aspect of the Mac ecosystem; i.e. Apple has a much more dictatorial attitude towards users and developers, so even after successfully porting the native component to macOS, there's still the risk of Apple refusing to allow such a program on their system. That's Apple's philosophy, they want to have control over what users can do and how.

That summarises the overall situation right now. It's not auspicious, unfortunately (we are aware of that); but it's what we all have to deal with.