Move GMail Messages to Another Folder/Label

peter quitzgard

Jun 17, 2024, 7:16:51 PMJun 17
to AutoControl
Hello, I'm trying to make at least a little bit quikcer the manual procedure of
moving a currently selected message from a GMail inbox, to another folder. Actually,
I'm doing it with a few "sintezise"  steps, but I think it would be quicker if that's done via
a script action. I need to accomplish the next simple step:

In the video I show three ways of doing the same task, whichever of them,
the quicker will be the better. It could be done using the "labels" feature, or
by just moving the message to a determined folder. In the example, I'm using
the "websites" folder/label.

Thanks.

peter quitzgard

Jun 17, 2024, 7:27:09 PMJun 17
to AutoControl
I forgot  to mention, I also need to find the way of pressing the "Reply" button as the first step
of the chain; after that, the script should paste (from clipboard) a determined text into the
message field, and once replied, the moving part of the script should initiate.

AutoControl support

Jun 18, 2024, 3:47:23 PMJun 18
to AutoControl
Gmail can only be automated with synthetic input. Using javascript doesn't work, unfortunately, as there are many differences between true mouse events and the events you can generate with Javascript. For example, the mouse cannot be moved with javascript and web pages can see the mouse position in the page at all times. So, if a simulated click doesn't match the mouse position, a picky webpage could fail to respond to the simulated click.
On most web pages, those details don't matter, but Gmail is, unfortunately, one of those picky overcomplicated beasts.
Using synthetic input is the only option for now.

peter quitzgard

Jun 24, 2024, 4:41:49 PM (11 days ago) Jun 24
to AutoControl
Alright, since a previous script which you created for me back then is still working with GMail, I thought
simplifying a few "sintezise" clicks with a script will mean at least "1" second less in the tasks' chain;
even if it was the "moving" step only.

By the way, as a curious fact, I leave you a video, which shows somehting that theoretically couldn't be done,
but somehow is still possible: dragging "Left press" toolbar buttons.

Thanks.

AutoControl support

Jun 24, 2024, 6:40:35 PM (11 days ago) Jun 24
to AutoControl
By the way, as a curious fact, I leave you a video, which shows somehting that theoretically couldn't be done,
but somehow is still possible: dragging "Left press" toolbar buttons.

Dragging is possible in that case because the trigger has a URL condition. i.e. the dragging won't work if the active tab is a Gmail page.

You can drag the toolbar button in any case by holding down some key such as Ctrl, Shift, Alt, etc. This works because your trigger doesn't have a wildcard, so, by pressing a key, the trigger does not meet the required conditions.

peter quitzgard

Jun 24, 2024, 8:15:47 PM (11 days ago) Jun 24
to AutoControl
I see, I read the relevant help information but I didn't know those additional tips.

Thanks.