Replacement for SmartUp Gestures

AutoControl support

Jun 4, 2024, 8:34:30 PMJun 4
to AutoControl
It's been brought to our attention that the "SmartUp Gestures" extension is no longer available in the Chrome Web Store. Due to this, those users are now looking for an alternative.

In order to facilitate the migration to AutoControl, the link below contains a number of commonly used gestures that can be imported individually or as a whole to your AutoControl settings.

Additionally, it's possible to configure those gestures to respond even when the browser is not the currently focused window. To achieve that, there are two alternatives:

ALTERNATIVE 1:
Add two conditions in the global "Mouse Gestures" options. The red arrow shows the 2 conditions that are necessary for a mouse gesture to work when the browser is not the focused program. This will affect all gestures that don't have conditions of those types. i.e. these conditions can be overridden on each gesture individually.
image.png

ALTERNATIVE 2:
If you only want a few gestures to work when the browser is unfocused but not all of them, you can add the same two condition to each desired gesture one by one, as shown below:
image.png

If you'd like to suggest more actions to be added to the above link, you can do so by replying to this post.
If you need help with specific gestures or actions, please open a separate topic here in the forum.

Forward Go

Jun 4, 2024, 9:57:00 PMJun 4
to AutoControl
I say it is still a bit too complicated. Regular joe is not going to understand browser state. I recommend making it simple and stupid. I am a dev myself and had trouble figuring out this hover state in current version.

1. I usually have two or more browser window side by side. My mouse hover over one but focus is on the other. The default should be register gestures on the hover one, not the focused window.

AutoControl support

Jun 4, 2024, 11:30:34 PMJun 4
to AutoControl
Thanks for your suggestion. This post is meant as an immediate guide for the time being, while a better solution is decided.
The root cause of the issue is that AutoControl does not focus the hovered window when the right mouse button is pressed. Therefore, when the user does a gesture, the hovered window is not necessarily the focused one.
So, that's probably the simplest solution in this case. The hovered window should be focused automatically; that way even the basic actions that act on the current tab will work as expected.

Please let us know if you have any other suggestions.

Forward Go

Jun 4, 2024, 11:54:31 PMJun 4
to AutoControl
I switched to AutoControl yesterday and finally got it to work the way I wanted after a couple of hours.  UI/UX would be too much for average user IMHO.

Checkout Gesturefy in firefox, how they do it.  Having some default gestures at new install is a must for mass adoption. You can have them disabled too.

M. Visser

Jun 6, 2024, 4:42:53 AMJun 6
to AutoControl
Thank you for your swift reaction. I was using switch to left/right tab basic actions, which did not work even with the browser state set to focused/unfocused. The activate tabs advanced action from your example does draw focus in this way, however, the circular list setting on the filter does not seem to work. When I get to the end of the tabs (either going left or going right), it does not loop back to the first tab. In fact, when I go all the way to the right on my right window, it goes to the first tab on my left window and then stops there. Could you take a look at that?

Thanks again!

AutoControl support

Jun 6, 2024, 10:01:06 AMJun 6
to AutoControl
when I go all the way to the right on my right window, it goes to the first tab on my left window and then stops there.

Thanks for bringing that up, there was a mistake in the configuration. The link should now have the correct settings for the circular switching to work properly.

M. Visser

Jun 7, 2024, 6:12:58 PMJun 7
to AutoControl
Thank you! Works perfectly now!

Wouter Van Goey

Jun 17, 2024, 10:57:33 AMJun 17
to AutoControl
Wow, discovering this extension has been incredible, I almost grateful for SmartUp going under!
What I miss the most is actions that are executed by dragging links or text.
E.g. :
 - Drag link right to open link in a new focused tab
 - Drag link left to open link in new tab in the background
 - Drag text right to search for text in new focused tab
 - Drag text left to search for text in new tab in the background
 - Same for image etc…

Other than that I will never remember all the actions I created but another good one is:
 - Up + Down for reload
 - Up + Down + Up for hard reload

Thanks!

AutoControl support

Jun 17, 2024, 2:03:04 PMJun 17
to AutoControl
What I miss the most is actions that are executed by dragging links or text.

Thanks for your suggestion. The link below has been updated. It now has a new action at the end for opening the hovered link or image or selected text.

another good one is:
 - Up + Down for reload
 - Up + Down + Up for hard reload

The following does a hard reload:
image.png

Abe F

Jun 19, 2024, 1:36:02 AMJun 19
to AutoControl
Drag image down to download it?
Drag link down to save it in a file(add a line in a file)?

AutoControl support

Jun 19, 2024, 5:30:57 AMJun 19
to AutoControl
Drag image down to download it?

The attached file has the action to do it. To import the file, open AutoControl's configuration page, then go to "Options" and click on "Restore from file" or "View file".

Drag link down to save it in a file(add a line in a file)?

Do you want to append the URL itself to an existing text file?

Drag image down to download it.acs