Native-Component.exe on VirusTotal.com flagged as malicious

Dan Man

Mar 1, 2024, 2:23:17 PMMar 1
to AutoControl
The lack of MRU tabs in Edge is driving me bonkers.  They don't allow Firefox at my place of employment.  How is it possible that a mainstream browser doesn't have an MRU tabs option built-in?  Firefox has had it for as long as I can remember.

Anywho, someone suggested Tab Switcher, and I see that I need to install Native-Component.exe.  Since this is a company laptop, they are really, REALLY sensitive about installing anything that doesn't come from the internal "software center".  I checked the link to VirusTotal and was surprised to see that:
3 security vendors and 1 sandbox flagged this file as malicious

Although numerous vendors flagged the file as "Undetected", three did not:
> Cynet:  Malicious (score: 100)
> DeepInstinct:  MALICIOUS
> MaxSecure:  Trojan.Malware.7175203.susgen

It probably won't matter to my employer that the vast majority of vendors found nothing suspicious.  I dunno whether these three vendors have a reputation of unjustified false positives.

Please advise.

AutoControl support

Mar 1, 2024, 3:01:05 PMMar 1
to AutoControl
Tab Thumbnails Switcher is a stripped-down version of AutoControl. Using the latter you will be able to customize your tab switching functionality to a much greater degree.
The following page shows a number of alternatives to configure AutoControl as a MRU tab switcher.

Regarding the VirusTotal false positives; thanks for mentioning that. A report has been sent to those 3 vendors so they can review and solve the case. Those false detections should disappear in the coming weeks.

Dan Man

Mar 1, 2024, 3:48:41 PMMar 1
to AutoControl
I will be happy to give AutoControl a spin once I get approval from our security group.

I noticed that MaxSecure doesn't get a lot of love out there as a reliable source of virus detection.

Dan Man

Apr 3, 2024, 11:48:24 AMApr 3
to AutoControl
DeepInstinct still marks this as MALICIOUS.  Have you been in touch with them?

AutoControl support

Apr 3, 2024, 2:28:28 PMApr 3
to AutoControl
We haven't got any response from them, unfortunately. A new false positive report was submitted today. Hopefully we should have news during April.

Dan Man

May 1, 2024, 3:17:28 PMMay 1
to AutoControl
VirusTotal still shows DeepInstinct marking the file as "Malicious".  Can you ping them again?

AutoControl support

May 3, 2024, 3:40:38 PMMay 3
to AutoControl
Due to the lack of response from DeepInstinct, we've contacted Virustotal.com and asked them to intercede on the matter.
We'll update this thread when we have news.

AutoControl support

Jun 12, 2024, 2:51:59 AMJun 12
to AutoControl
Good news. DeepInstinct has finally solved their false positive. AutoControl is now passing with zero detections.