What's the use case for TLS parameters?

Victor Diez

Dec 3, 2018, 7:26:06 AM12/3/18
to Autobahn
I'm migrating my WAMP application from http to https, and all autobahn connections to wss. I'm using Wamp.rt router, passing a https server with its certificate and key. Right now I don't use any TLS config in my autobahn clients, and don't really understand the point for the TLS parameters in the connection to the router (here).

Why do we need those TLS parameters if the connection to the router is already on a secure channel?

Tobias Oberstein

Dec 3, 2018, 8:04:56 AM12/3/18
to autob...@googlegroups.com, Victor Diez

Hi,

I assume you refer to AutobahnJS.

AutobahnJS supports running in browser (HTML5) contexts, and running under NodeJS.

When running under NodeJS it is often desirable to have more control over the TLS connection that is established as part of a WSS connection.

When running in browsers, there is no need (and no way) of modifying TLS - the browser takes care of everything.

Cheers,

/Tobias

Am 03.12.18 um 13:26 schrieb Victor Diez:
I'm migrating my WAMP application from http to https, and all autobahn connections to wss. I'm using Wamp.rt router, passing a https server with its certificate and key. Right now I don't use any TLS config in my autobahn clients, and don't really understand the point for the TLS parameters in the connection to the router (here).

Why do we need those TLS parameters if the connection to the router is already on a secure channel?

Tobias Oberstein

Victor Diez

Dec 3, 2018, 8:10:47 AM12/3/18
to Autobahn
Hello Tobias,

thanks for answering. Yes indeed I was referring to AutobahnJS, clients both in NodeJS and browser.

I ended up in this page, and assumed it was more related to client authentication on top of the already encrypted transport layer.

I understand then it's not something I have to deal with in principle when migrating to wss.

Cheers,
Victor