Have You Skyped An Author or Illustrator Lately?

Authors Booking Service

Nov 30, 2010, 7:48:08 AM11/30/10
to authors...@googlegroups.com
Hello ABS friends!!

We love hearing from you!

Here's what Kelley Healey had to say about last week's visit by Susin Nielsen (Word Nerd) to Crossland PS:

Just thought I would let you know that our students thoroughly enjoyed Susin's presentation.  They were so excited to act out a scene from the book that Susin had to let 2 groups do it because they were begging to do it again!  It was a great presentation for an intermediate audience.  The link to media literacy, talking about writing television scripts was really interesting.  Her book was also very motivating for many of our students because they totally connected with the main character Ambrose. They were excited to meet her. Thanks for coordinating this for us!

Susin Nielsen will be back in Toronto for the OLA Superconference. She can visit Toronto schools on Feb 1 and 2.

Skyping: The economical and environmentally friendly author visit:

What do you do in the middle of snow season when budgets are low and your students are bored?

Skype an author or illustrator!

An hour long virtual visit with freely available Skype computer software is an economical alternative to a real live author visit. Virtual visits are easier for an author to schedule because they don't have to travel. This means that you can get an out-of-province author whenever you want! And they're cheaper for you! When you factor in presentation rates and travel costs, virtual visits come out to about half the cost of an in-person visit.

For a list of all our Skyping authors, go here.

Check out our roster of Tree nominees here.

And here's a list of Our Presenters

News

Together by Hazel Hutchins, illustrated by Alice Priestley, has been selected by The Canadian Toy Testing Council  as one of 10 “Great Books for Children, 2011.

___________________________________

Presenter Availability

Contact us today about booking ANY of our Ontario members for the coming school year!

Elliot Moose creator Andrea Beck is available in London for half a day on either December 9th or 10th.

Silver Birch winner Robert Weston is available in Oakville on Feb 15th, 2011.

Jo Ellen Bogart will be in Ottawa and has dates available April 18 and 20, 2011.

Silver Birch nominee Helaine Becker will be in the Ottawa area several times this school year and will waive travel costs for full day bookings (4 sessions). Contact us to be placed on Helaine’s waiting list.
___________________________________
Out of Province presenters coming your way!

Contact us to be placed on ANY of our out-of-province members’ waiting lists and we’ll notify you when they make plans to visit Ontario.

Jill Murray will be in the Ottawa area on Dec. 1, and in the GTA on Dec. 2 & 3.

Multiple session discounts and NO long distance travel costs!

White Pine nominee Don Calame will be available the week of January 31st for visits

Silver Birch nominee Vicki Grant will be in the GTA from January 25 to February 4 for school visits.

2010 Red Maple winner Susin Nielsen will be back in Toronto for the OLA Superconference. She can visit Toronto schools on Feb 1 and 2.

Sigmund Brouwer will be in Ontario for school and library presentations January 25 – 29 and Feb 2 to 3, 2011.

Pam Bustin will be in Ontario for the OLA Superconference. She has availability on Feb 2, 4 and 5 in the GTA and anywhere else that is accessible by public transit.

Silver Birch Non-Fiction Winner 2010 Larry Verstraete will be in Ontario for the OLA Super Conference in February of 2011 and is available for school visits at that time.

Philip Roy (Submarine Outlaw) is available for visits in the GTA, Hamilton and Oakville area in April 2011

Métis children's and YA novelist Jacqueline Guest will be in Toronto at the end of April 2011 and is available for visits at that time.

Art Slade, Silver Birch Fiction Nominee for The Hunchback Assignments will be available in downtown Toronto on the morning of May 11.

Lois Peterson: Silver Birch Express Nominee for The Ballad of Knuckles McGraw will be in the GTA May 9-15, 2011.

We've done the groundwork to help make your author visit hassle free. Let us know how we're doing and how we can improve this service!

Valerie & Marsha

--
Authors' Booking Service
Connecting Canadian Creators and Educators

If unable to reach us here, please contact Marsha at mar...@calla.com or Valerie at val...@nbnet.nb.ca