Your Favourite Slogans!

Authors Booking Service

Jan 31, 2011, 10:50:50 AM1/31/11
to authors...@googlegroups.com

Here they are – YOUR Favourite Literary Slogans!

(With a few Literacy Quotes thrown in.)

BKS  R  LK  RLY  LNG  TXT  MSGS

Read to Know, Read to Grow

Today a Reader, Tomorrow a Leader

Read To Succeed

Too Many Books, Not Enough Time!

Never Judge a Book by its Movie!

The more you learn, the more you earn!

Books fall open; you fall in.

Curl up with a good book!

(with a corresponding photo, such as a bear and its cub reading)

A book is a present you can open again and again.

"Books give not wisdom where none was before,

 But where some was, there reading makes it more."

-Sir John Harington

“He who has a library and a garden, wants for nothing.” - Cicero

“The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.”  from Oh, the Places You’ll Go by Dr. Seuss

“At the moment that we persuade a child, any child, to cross that threshold, that magic threshold into library, we change their lives forever, for the better.” – US President Barack Obama

Thanks to ALL who entered our contest by sending a slogan.  Winners (by random draw) of one free signed book each are: MaryJo DeFilippo, Carla McCloskey and Diane Ryan.

_____________________________________

NEWS

Jean Little is having a marvellous time this winter traveling to schools and libraries and presenting to hundreds of students in a day. "The kids are great!" says Jean. "I also would love to speak at conferences." If you would like Jean Little to speak at your conference, please contact us for further details.

We are pleased to announce that Tololwa Mollel, storyteller and award-winning author of 16 internationally acclaimed books, will be available for school and library visits in Toronto and the GTA from May 24 – May 30. Contact us for further details.

Many of our members will be signing at the upcoming OLA Superconference.  For full details, please visit: http://authorsbooking.blogspot.com/2011/01/ola-superconference.html
A PERSONAL GLIMPSE OF L.M. FALCONE

Her name is Lucy Marie but she publishes under L.M. Falcone.  Growing up, Lucy was a serious couch potato who loved watching television.  Then she discovered her true “happy place” in the local library. Free books! As many as you wanted!

Lucy began her writing career at the tender age of ten. Encouraged by her beloved Grade 5 teacher, Mrs. Cherwaty, she read stories she’d written aloud to her classmates. At the sound of applause (she’d never heard applause for anything she’d ever done before) Lucy felt a magical spark ignite that has never gone out.

There were many detours along the way – Kindergarten teacher, Private Investigator, props assistant on the film Screwballs, and caterer for the television series The Golden Girls. In 1985 Lucy moved to Los Angeles to pursue a writing career in film and television.  She wrote for such television series as The Littlest Hobo, The New Monkees, and Nickelodeon's hugely popular Are You Afraid of the Dark?. She also created and produced the situation comedy pilot, Choir Practice, starring Susan Anton.

After ten years and hundreds of rejections for her screenplays, Lucy returned home to Canada determined to get a “real” job. Problem was, she still loved writing and couldn’t conceive of any other profession. After floundering for a few years she recalled the excitement young viewers had for the spooky Are You Afraid of the Dark? stories, and began writing supernatural thrillers for the middle-grade audience. Four novels have been published so far and Lucy has won the Silver Birch, Diamond Willow and Red Cedar Awards. Lucy loves writing for the middle-grade reader because they still believe in magic – and so does she!

Contact us at a...@authorsbooking.com if you'd like a spook-a-licious visit from this author.

_____________________________________
YOUR TURN:

I wanted to send you a quick note to let you know how wonderful it was to work with Sharon Jennings and what a great presentation she put together for Family Literacy Day. She was incredibly pleasant and easy going. Her presentation was engaging and fun and everyone enjoyed her very much! Many thanks for your help organizing her visit!  (printed with permission from Zeta Phillipo, Children’s Services Librarian, County of Brant Public Library)

Thanks for writing, Zeta!  We love receiving feedback on our members.

_____________________________________

ABS MEMBERS coming your way!

Sigmund Brouwer has availability for the following dates and locations:

Feb 15:   Kitchener/Waterloo/Cambridge one time slot open

Feb 16:   Southern ON

March 1: Oshawa, one time slot open

March 2: Barrie, one time slot open

March 3: Southern ON

April 25: Southern ON

April 26: Kitchener/Waterloo/Cambridge, one time slot open

Jo Ellen Bogart will be in Ottawa and has dates available April 18 and 20, 2011.

Philip Roy (Submarine Outlaw) is available in the GTA, Hamilton and Oakville area in April.

Jacqueline Guest is available in Toronto on the  morning of  April 28.

Helaine Becker is available in Brantford in the morning on May 3.

Helaine Becker is available in Peterborough in the afternoon on May 5.

Celia Godkin will be in the GTA and is available for bookings May 24 - 26.

Tololwa Mollel will be in the GTA and is available for bookings May 24 - 30.

Helaine Becker will be in the Ottawa area several times this school year and will waive travel costs for full day bookings (4 sessions).

Don Aker: Tentative spring visit, contact us if you’re interested.

Lois Peterson: Silver Birch Express Nominee for The Ballad of Knuckles McGraw will be in the GTA May 9-15, 2011.

_____________________________________

OUR MEMBER LISTS!

Click here for a direct link to our growing list of nominees:

http://authorsbooking.com/2043/2064.html

A list of our regular members can be seen here:

http://www.authorsbooking.com/2043/index.html

Contact us today to book any of our members, or to be placed on waiting lists and notified when they will next be in your area.

Visit our website at
www.authorsbooking.com

Questions?  Comments?  We’re listening!

Marsha & Valerie

Contact us at a...@authorsbooking.com.  We respond to all e-mails quickly.

Please note: If you haven't had a reply to messages sent to the above address within 2 working days, your message may have gone astray.  In that case, please contact either of us at home.

Valerie Sherrard: val...@nbnet.nb.ca or Marsha Skrypuch: mar...@calla.com