Countdown to summer break!

Authors Booking Service

May 30, 2011, 10:04:45 AM5/30/11
to authors...@googlegroups.com
Welcome to our newsletter!

We'd like to remind you that the newsletter part of our service will break for the summer in just a few more weeks, but we're still here and happy to help with your fall bookings.  (Response time may be a little slower than usual, but you can still expect emails to be answered within a few days.)

In this issue:

News

Meet the Authors:  Robert Paul Weston and Meg Tilly

Fall Bookings – including tours now being booked for out-of-province members Arthur Slade, Linda Bailey and Susin Nielsen!

_________________________________

NEWS

Richard Scarsbrook, along with The Featherless Bipeds, will celebrate the White Pine Win for The Monkeyface Chronicles, with a literary/musical hybrid show at the Lower Ossington Theatre's fantastic new venue, THE GREEN DOOR CABARET! (100 Ossington, Toronto, June 17, 10:30 p.m.) Come celebrate and help raise a few bucks for the Lower Ossington Theatre’s excellent projects, such as the amazing Toronto Youth Theatre!

Tickets at http://www.lowerossingtontheatre.com/cabaret?start=12

Alberta author David A. Poulsen will be following up his winning of the Yakura Medal for his teen novel Numbers with a tour of schools in Japan and Korea this fall. The Yakura Medal is a reader's choice award and is given to the book chosen as their favourite by English speaking students in Japanese high schools. David will spend a week in each country in the last half of October. Numbers was also a finalist for the R. Ross Annett (Children's Book) Award in Alberta. Watch for details of David's long-awaited Ontario tour planned for later this year.

Svetlana Chmakova sent us this exciting note about Skype visits:  “I did my first ever digital signing through a newly launched author/fan interaction site called iDolVine yesterday and it was so wonderful: http://idolvine.com/video/svetlana-draws-margaret-atwood. I’ve been reluctant to do Skype visits because my presentations have a graphic element to them (where I would actually draw for the audience on my screen—very difficult to arrange on Skype).  But this site gives me all the tools I need!!

_____________________________

MEET THE AUTHORS:

Robert Paul Weston (Zorgamazoo and Dust City) is a truly multicultural Canadian—his grandparents come from England, Turkey, Grenada and India! Perhaps as a result, he has spent much of his time working his way across Europe, Asia and the Americas and has finally landed in Toronto (at least for the moment)!

For as long as he can remember, Rob has always scratched out slogans and pecked away at keyboards, but he only turned seriously to writing in 2004, while employed as an English teacher in Japan. After a little initial success he decided there might actually be some potential in this whole “being a writer” thing. And so far, it seems to be working…

If someone had told Meg Tilly (Porcupine and others) that she was going to be a published author when she grew up, she would have been well and truly shocked. Growing up, her family moved around a lot. Her mother didn’t like Meg’s third grade teacher, so Meg wasn’t allowed to attend. She was also pulled out of fourth after only a few months. Consequently, even though Meg was a voracious reader, her spelling was abysmal. She never learned phonics or her times-tables, and is uncertain what the different names are for all the parts that make up a sentence.

After such a rocky start Meg always felt off balance in school, like if people knew the truth, they would think she was stupid. She developed tricks in order to cope with her deficiencies so that the other kids and teachers wouldn’t figure out that she was faking it.

Meg discovered writing by accident when she was thirty years old. Not because she thought she would be any good at it but because her need to speak the truth as she knew it had become so great that to not write would have suffocated her. And now, after eighteen years of going to the page, she can’t imagine her life without it.

Contact us at a...@authorsbooking.com to ask about booking Rob or Meg, or any of our members.

_________________________________

Tours for the 2011 – 2012 School Year:

Booking a fall visit NOW means you can get your application for funding in early!

Coming from across Canada this FALL:

Arthur Slade will be in the GTA from October 19 – 21.  Book early to avoid disappointment!

Susin Nielsen will be visiting the Oakville-Burlington corridor, as well as the Barrie area the week of October 24.  Time slots are going fast so book now to avoid disappointment.

Linda Bailey will be visiting Ontario this November – dates and locations to be determined.  Please drop us a line if you’d like to be added to Linda’s waiting list.

A list of our regular members can be seen here:

http://www.authorsbooking.com/2043/index.html

Contact us today to book any of our members, or to be notified as to when they will be in your area.

Is the author you would like to book on our list but living in another province?  Let us know you’re interested and we’ll put you on that person’s waiting list and let you know when he or she will be visiting Ontario.  (There is, of course, no obligation to book.)

Visit our web site for full details on any of our members! www.authorsbooking.com

Just click on Our Presenters for a list of links to details on any of our members.  Each individual page has information on publications, presentations, fees and much more!

Questions?  Comments?  We’re listening!

Marsha & Valerie

Contact us at a...@authorsbooking.com.  We respond quickly to all e-mails.

Please note: If you haven't had a reply to messages sent to the above address within 2 working days, your message may have gone astray.  In that case, please contact either of us at home.

Valerie Sherrard: val...@nbnet.nb.ca or Marsha Skrypuch: mar...@calla.com