And the winners are ...

1 view

Authors Booking Service

May 16, 2011, 1:44:47 PM5/16/11
to authors...@googlegroups.com

We are pleased to present ...

AWARDS GALORE!

OLA Forest of Reading:

(Bold font indicates names of ABS Members.)

Blue Spruce Winner: Dave Whamond for My Think-A-Ma-Jink

Silver Birch Fiction Winner:  Kevin Sylvester for Neil Flambe and the Marco Polo Murders

Honour Title: Home Free by Sharon Jennings

Silver Birch Non-Fiction Winner: Valerie Wyatt for How to Build Your Own Country (Fred Rix Illustrator)

Honour Title: What’s the Big Idea? by Helaine Becker.

Silver Birch Express Winner: Ashley Spires for Binky the Space Cat

Honour Title: A Different Game by Sylvia Olsen

Red Maple Winner: Vicki Grant for Not Suitable for Family Viewing

Honour Title: Ghost Ride by Marina Cohen

Red Maple Non-Fiction Winner: Mariatu Kamara and Susan McClelland for The Bite of the Mango

Honour Title: Whispers from the Ghettos by Kathy Kacer and Sharon McKay

White Pine Winner: Richard Scarsbrook for The Monkeyface Chronicles

Honour Titles: Swim the Fly by Don Calame, and Some Girls Are by Courtney Summers.

Hackmatack:

The winner of the 2011 Hackmatack award for non-fiction was Valerie Wyatt for How to Build Your Own Country.

Other:

The Independent Publishers Association has awarded a Bronze Medal to The Glory Wind by Valerie Sherrard in the 2011 Canadian Regional Fiction (west) category.  This prize is not specifically for children's writing, but is awarded to a work of fiction in any genre.

Helaine Becker’s A Porcupine in a Pine Tree (illustrated by Werner Zimmerman) has won the 2011 CBA Libris Picture Book of the Year Award.

_________________________________

NOMINATIONS:

Congratulations to the following ABS members who have been shortlisted for the 2011 – 2012  Manitoba Young Readers’ Choice Awards:

Susin Nielsen for Dear George Clooney, Please Marry My Mom

Valerie Sherrard for Tumbleweed Skies

Marsha Skrypuch for Stolen Child

Robert Paul Weston for Dust City

John Wilson for Written in Blood

_________________________________

YOUR TURN

“I just wanted you to know how absolutely wonderful Don Calame was with the students here at BCI. We had so much fun!!!” - Bobbie Henley

Thanks for taking the time to write, Bobbie!  We love feedback on our members!

__________________________________

Tours for the 2011 – 2012 School Year:

Is the author you would like to book on our list but living in another province?  Let us know you’re interested and we’ll put you on that person’s waiting list and let you know when he or she will be visiting Ontario.  (There is, of course, no obligation to book.)

A list of our regular members can be seen here: http://www.authorsbooking.com/2043/index.html

Contact us today to book any of our members, or to be notified as to when they will be in your area.

Booking a fall visit NOW means you can get your application for funding in early!

Coming this FALL

Susin Nielsen will be visiting the Oakville-Burlington corridor, as well as the Barrie area the week of October 24.  Time slots are going fast so book now to avoid disappointment.

Linda Bailey will be visiting Ontario this November – dates and locations to be determined.  Please drop us a line if you’d like to be added to Linda’s waiting list.

Visit our web site for full details on any of our members! www.authorsbooking.com

Just click on Our Presenters for a list of links to details on any of our members.  Each individual page has information on publications, presentations, fees and much more!

Questions?  Comments?  We’re listening!

Marsha & Valerie

Contact us at a...@authorsbooking.com.  We respond quickly to all e-mails.

Please note: If you haven't had a reply to messages sent to the above address within 2 working days, your message may have gone astray.  In that case, please contact either of us at home.

Valerie Sherrard: val...@nbnet.nb.ca or Marsha Skrypuch: mar...@calla.com