Award news, organizing Tree Visits and more

1 view

Authors Booking Service

Nov 15, 2010, 3:34:41 PM11/15/10
to authors...@googlegroups.com

Hello everyone!

Are you planning a Tree event for this school year?

Whether your school or library promotes the Red Maple, Blue Spruce, Silver Birch, White Pine or Golden Oak, we can assist you. Are you organizing an evening community event with several nominees? Or something in the school day with a single nominee? Perhaps you're organizing a writing conference for your students.

Whatever kind of Tree event you're planning, the best time to book authors is now. Booking early means others won't have scooped up your preferred authors. Booking early means you have time to apply for subsidies. Booking early means a cluster of visits can be shared with neighbouring schools and libraries, meaning everyone's travel/accommodation expenses are shared -- which translates into savings for everyone.

Not sure exactly what you want to do or whom to invite? Ask us! We are happy to assist you.

We have added to our roster of Tree nominees.

Pages are now up for Rosemarie Boll, Don Calame, Gillian Richardson and Valerie Wyatt. For a direct link to our growing list of nominees, click here:

http://authorsbooking.com/2043/2064.html

Three wonderful ABS authors had big wins last week:

Art Slade won this year’s TD Canadian Children’s Literature Award for The Hunchback Assignments.

Shane Peacock won the 2010 Geoffrey Bilson Award For Historical Fiction For Young People for Vanishing Girl, book three in The Boy Sherlock Holmes series.

Hugh Brewster's Dieppe: Canada’s Darkest Day of WW II was named an Honour Book by the Children’s Literature Roundtables of Canada, 2010 Information Book Award.

Giant congratulations to Art, Shane and Hugh!!!

Meet the Author:  Mireille Messier

As a kid growing up in Ottawa, Mireille Messier wanted to be a clown. After a number of crashes and bumps, she figured out that she had very little talent on the unicycle. She also found that juggling bowling pins was a lot harder than it looked. So, she decided to juggle words instead. Now, Mireille spends most of her days spinning ideas and doing litterary acrobatics about anything and everything. She writes books, magazine articles and television scripts. Her first chapter book, Une Twiga à Ottawa, was published in 2003. Mostly, Mireille writes in French. Sometimes, she writes in English. She always writes with her left hand! Contact us to book Mireille to visit your school or library.

New Releases

Kristin Butcher: Cheat  In an attempt to establish her own identity, Laurel becomes a reporter for the school paper. After months of invisible articles about school activities, she finally gets a break, writing an article that gains her the recognition she's been seeking. Then she stumbles upon a major cheating scam and -- convinced exposing it in print will win her even more accolades -- Laurel sets out to dig up the dirt. Little does she know it's going to fall all over her.

___________________________________

Presenter Availability

Contact us today about booking ANY of our Ontario members for the coming school year!

Elliot Moose creator Andrea Beck is available in London for half a day on either December 9th or 10th.

Silver Birch winner Robert Weston is available in Oakville on Feb 15th, 2011.

Jo Ellen Bogart will be in Ottawa and has dates available April 18 and 20, 2011.

Helaine Becker will be in the Ottawa area several times this school year and will waive travel costs for full day bookings (4 sessions). Contact us to be placed on Helaine’s waiting list.
___________________________________
Out of Province presenters coming your way!

Contact us to be placed on ANY of our out-of-province members’ waiting lists and we’ll notify you when they make plans to visit Ontario.

Jill Murray will be in the Ottawa area on Dec. 1, and in the GTA on Dec. 2 & 3.

Multiple session discounts and NO long distance travel costs!

Sigmund Brouwer will be in Ontario for school and library presentations January 25 – 29, 2011.

Silver Birch Non-Fiction Winner 2010 Larry Verstraete will be in Ontario for the OLA Super Conference in February of 2011 and is available for school visits at that time.

Philip Roy (Submarine Outlaw) is available for visits in the GTA, Hamilton and Oakville area in April 2011

Métis children's and YA novelist Jacqueline Guest will be in Toronto at the end of April 2011 and is available for visits at that time.

Art Slade, Silver Birch Fiction Nominee for The Hunchback Assignments will be available in downtown Toronto on the morning of May 11.

Lois Peterson: Silver Birch Express Nominee for The Ballad of Knuckles McGraw will be in the GTA May 9-15, 2011.

We've done the groundwork to help make your author visit hassle free. Let us know how we're doing and how we can improve this service!

Valerie & Marsha

--
Authors' Booking Service
Connecting Canadian Creators and Educators

If unable to reach us here, please contact Marsha Skrypuch at mar...@calla.com or Valerie Sherrard at val...@nbnet.nb.ca