Your Favourite Slogans!

1 view

Authors Booking Service

Jan 24, 2011, 10:02:14 AM1/24/11
to authors...@googlegroups.com

We’d love to know ...

... your favourite literacy slogan!  Send a message to a...@authorsbooking.com (do NOT hit reply to this message) with the word SLOGAN in the subject line, and tell us which slogan (old or new) you like the best.  Each response will be entered into a special draw for a signed book of your choice. In all, three books will be given away.  Contest closes January 31st.

We’ll post a full list of the slogans we receive in an upcoming newsletter.

Speaking of giving away books, this month 25 lucky winners received a signed book of their choice from the Nov/Dec draws.  Did you know that every session booked through Authors’ Booking Service is automatically credited with a ballot?

_____________________________________

NEWS

Anne Dublin’s historical novel, The Orphan Rescue, is a finalist for the 2010 National Jewish Book Award for Children's and YA Literature.  It has also been named a 2011 Notable Book for Older Readers by the Sydney Taylor committee of the Association of Jewish Libraries.

Allan Stratton's Borderline, a White Pine nominee, has been named to the American Library Association's Best Fiction for Young Adults 2011 list.
Author and graphic artist Svetlana Chmakova of Dramacon and Nightschool fame is now available for writing and Manga workshops and presentations. Contact us for further details.
Life Above All, based on Allan Stratton's novel Chanda's Secret, is on the shortlist of 9 titles in the running for an Oscar nomination for Best Foreign Film.  The final list will be announced on January 25.

Marsha Skrypuch's 2006 anthology, Kobzar's Children: A Century of Untold Ukrainian Stories, is the inspiration for a new contemporary dance called Bloodline, which will be performed on stage for the first time in Victoria BC on January 30.

Many of our members will be signing at the upcoming OLA Superconference.  For full details, please visit:

http://authorsbooking.blogspot.com/2011/01/ola-superconference.html
_____________________________________
NEW RELEASES:

(Red Maple Nominee) Marina Cohen: Mind Gap. 14 year-old Jake MacRae’s life is spinning out of control. He is making all the wrong decisions. One night, he receives a mysterious text inviting him to a party on a midnight subway train.  As Jake leaves the platform, he has no idea he has just boarded his worst nightmare. And what’s more—he can’t get off.  (Mind Gap is one of two debut releases in the brand new Keystone series: high interest novels for reluctant readers.)

(Blue Spruce Nominee) Andrew Larsen (Andrew’s first chapter book): The Luck of Jude. Jude Bhandari is certain that he'll be paired up with his best friend Sanjay for their grade-four school project. Instead, he is paired up with the tough new kid from England. The Luck of Jude is a story about friends, fighting and fitting in.

Svetlana Chmakova: Nightschool volume 4.  Concludes the first arc of the New York Times Bestseller supernatural saga of witch-girls facing rabid vampires, homework and world-altering battles.

_____________________________________

ABS MEMBERS coming your way!

Sigmund Brouwer has availability for the following dates and locations:

Feb 15:   Kitchener/Waterloo/Cambridge one time slot open

Feb 16:   Southern ON

March 1: Oshawa, one time slot open

March 2: Barrie, one time slot open

March 3: Southern ON

April 25: Southern ON

April 26: Kitchener/Waterloo/Cambridge, one time slot open

Marsha Skrypuch will be in London on Feb 23 and has availability for up to two sessions in the afternoon.

Jo Ellen Bogart will be in Ottawa and has dates available April 18 and 20, 2011.

Philip Roy (Submarine Outlaw) is available in the GTA, Hamilton and Oakville area in April.

Jacqueline Guest is available in Toronto on the  morning of  April 28.

Helaine Becker is available in Brantford in the morning of May 3.

Celia Godkin will be in the GTA and is available for bookings May 24 - 26.

Helaine Becker will be in the Ottawa area several times this school year and will waive travel costs for full day bookings (4 sessions).

Don Aker: Tentative spring visit, contact us if you’re interested.

Lois Peterson: Silver Birch Express Nominee for The Ballad of Knuckles McGraw will be in the GTA May 9-15, 2011.

_____________________________________

OUR MEMBER LISTS!

Click here for a direct link to our growing list of nominees: http://authorsbooking.com/2043/2064.html

A list of our regular members can be seen here: http://www.authorsbooking.com/2043/index.html

Contact us today to book any of our members, or to be placed on waiting lists and notified when they will next be in your area.
A PERSONAL GLIMPSE OF SHARON MCKAY

I don’t collect things, on the contrary, I tend to give stuff away. My husband and sons say that at Christmas they must move quickly least they find themselves under the tree. But I do collect the words or phrases children have said to me over the years.
“Is that your real hair?” - Shangdong Province, China, l990.
“Are those your real teeth?” - Belfast, Northern Ireland, l996.
“Do you write your own books or does someone do it for you?” - Saskatoon, 2002.
Then there was the day that a teacher announced to her kindergarten class, “An author has come to visit.” I stood in the doorway as a particularly runny boy (eyes, nose, cough) raced towards me with open arms while yelling, “It’s Robert Munsch.” He hugged me, drew his head back and said, “Wait a minute, you’re not Robert Munsch!”

Then he sneezed. I was sick for weeks. - Toronto, 2010.

Visit our website at
www.authorsbooking.com

Questions?  Comments?  We’re listening!

Marsha & Valerie

Contact us at a...@authorsbooking.com.  We respond to all e-mails quickly.

Please note: If you haven't had a reply to messages sent to the above address within 2 working days, your message may have gone astray.

In that case, please contact either of us at home.

Valerie Sherrard: val...@nbnet.nb.ca or Marsha Skrypuch: mar...@calla.com