Canadian Children's Book Centre Shortlists

Authors Booking Service

Jun 14, 2011, 3:28:27 PM6/14/11
to authors...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations to the ABS Members who have been shortlisted for the:

TD Canadian Children’s Literature Award:

Erin Bow for Plain Kate

Alma Fullerton for Burn

Valerie Sherrard for The Glory Wind

Marilyn Baillie Picture Book Award:

Linda Bailey for Stanley’s Little Sister

Geoffrey Bilson Award for Historical Fiction for Young People

Jean Little for Exiles from the War: The War Guests Diary of Charlotte Mary Twiss

Caroline Pignat for Wild Geese

Valerie Sherrard for The Glory Wind

John Spray Mystery Award

Allan Stratton for Borderline

Mary Chan for Mystery of the Cyber Bully

___________________________________
This just in ...

Award-winning author, John Wilson will visit parts of Ontario during the first two weeks of November, 2011. John has many presentations for grades 4 - 12, based on his 31 books. On this tour he will focus on Canada at War in the lead up to Remembrance Day. John will discuss his new novel, Shot at Dawn (part of the Scholastic I Am Canada series), and his two non-fiction books, Desperate Glory: The Story of WWI and Bitter Ashes: The Story of WWII.  John is also happy to talk about any of his historical fiction and non-fiction books and to touch on anything from Roman Times and the Middle Ages to Arctic Exploration.  Dates currently available: Nov 1 - 10.

Others who are visiting from across Canada in the UPCOMING SCHOOL YEAR:

Arthur Slade will be in the GTA from October 19 – 21.  Limited time remaining.

Susin Nielsen will be visiting the Oakville-Burlington corridor, as well as the Barrie area the week of October 24.  Limited time slots remaining.

Valerie Sherrard is now scheduling school and library visits in the GTA, October 5 - 7.

Linda Bailey will be visiting Ontario the week of November 1.  Contact us to be placed on Linda’s waiting list.

Sigmund Brouwer will be in the GTA from November 17 – 21.

Following the release of The Fifth Rule (sequel to The First Stone) Don Aker will visit Ontario with dates to be announced.  Contact us to be placed on Don’s waiting list.

REMEMBER: Booking early also means you can apply for funding early!

A list of our regular members can be seen here: http://www.authorsbooking.com/2043/index.html

Contact us today to book any of our members, or to be notified as to when they will be in your area.

Is the author you would like to book on our list but living in another province?  Let us know you’re interested and we’ll put you on that person’s waiting list and let you know when he or she will be visiting Ontario.  (There is, of course, no obligation to book.)

__________________________________

NEWS

Marsha Skrypuch will be in Ottawa in October to receive the Crystal Kite Award and will be available for school and library visits on October 14.

Rona Arato has won the 2011 Golden Oak Award for her book Courage and Compassion, Ten Canadians Who Made a Difference.

Liam O’Donnell has a brand new presentation to offer, but there are very limited time slots available so book early!  Here are his details: Become a Media Master - Learn how media works to influence what we buy, wear, eat and talk about. Using my "Media Meltdown" graphic novel as a guide, students learn the tricks advertisers use to sell their products and how we can all be media makers to create our own messages.

NEW RELEASE

Matt Beam's unique photographic counting book, City Numbers, follow-up to City Alphabet (Quill & Quire Book of the Year) has arrived! Using these texts, Matt does fun and fascinating Media Literacy-themed presentations for students grades 4-12.

Visit our web site for full details on any of our members! www.authorsbooking.com

Just click on Our Presenters for a list of links to details on any of our members.  Each individual page has information on publications, presentations, fees and much more!

Questions?  Comments?  We’re listening!

Marsha & Valerie

Contact us at a...@authorsbooking.com.  We respond quickly to all e-mails.

Please note: If you haven't had a reply to messages sent to the above address within 2 working days, your message may have gone astray.  In that case, please contact either of us at home.

Valerie Sherrard: val...@nbnet.nb.ca or Marsha Skrypuch: mar...@calla.com