Spring Shortlists!

Authors Booking Service

Mar 7, 2011, 8:34:40 AM3/7/11
to authors...@googlegroups.com

It’s that time again!

Spring shortlists are starting to come out.

How many of the nominated titles have you read?

_________________________________

CONGRATULATIONS to the ABS members whose books

have been shortlisted for the awards listed below!

CLA 2011 CHILDREN’S BOOK OF THE YEAR!

Erin Bow: Plain Kate

Alma Fullerton: Burn

Susin Nielsen: Dear George Clooney Please Marry My Mom

Shane Peacock: The Secret Fiend

Valerie Sherrard: The Glory Wind

Marsha Forchuk Skrypuch: Stolen Child

Arthur Slade: The Dark Deeps

CLA 2011 YOUNG ADULT BOOK OF THE YEAR!

Arthur Slade: The Dark Deeps

Allan Stratton: Borderline

Robert Paul Weston: Dust City

2011 SASKATCHEWAN WILLOW AWARDS!

Shining Willow

Andrew Larsen: The Painted Garden (illustrated by Irene Luxbacher)

Lana Button (A) and Tania Howells (I): Willow’s Whispers

Diamond Willow

L.M. Falcone: The Midnight Whisper

Natale Ghent: The Odds Get Even

Valerie Sherrard: Tumbleweed Skies

Marsha Skrypuch: Stolen Child

Snow Willow

Susin Nielsen: Dear George Clooney Please Marry My Mom

Barbara Haworth Attard: Haunted

Sharon McKay: Thunder Over Kandahar

Next week: Resource Links Best of 2010!

___________________________________

NEW RELEASES:

Arthur Slade: The Hunchback Assignments 3: Empire of Ruins (March 1st) Special agent Modo must visit Australia and discover the truth behind the God Face, an ancient powerful artifact. But hot on his trail is the Clockwork Guild, with a brand-new weapon—mechanical birds. With an airship battle, an escape from spear-waving natives and an astounding discovery—the Hunchback Assignments series continues to enthral readers of all ages!

Laura Langston: Last Ride. Sixteen-year-old Tom Shields is struggling with guilt and a ghost. He killed his best friend, Logan, in a street racing accident a year ago. As he tries to make amends to Logan’s girlfriend and keep his promise not to race again, Tom is haunted by his dead friend. What is Logan trying to tell him?

Gaston Gingras, who won a Stanley Cup with the Montreal Canadiens, has partnered with Sigmund Brouwer to release two French versions of the Howling Timberwolves, coming out in late April. These are first chapter books about hockey, geared to appeal to reluctant readers
_____________________________________

NEED A PRESENTER FOR BOOK WEEK?

Visit our blog to see a list of members who are available for Book Week presentations!

http://authorsbooking.blogspot.com/2011/03/presenters-for-book-week.html

Need a Presenter for a Forest of Reading Event?  Scroll down to see who’s available!

_____________________________________

Book Draw Winners!

Congratulations to the following winners, who select a title of their choice from a list of autographed books from our members: Elizabeth Galli, Shelley Cutrara, Kim Salierno, Astrid DeCairos, Tanya McCuen, Rosanna Hermann, Synthia Goldfarb, Jan Marconi, Yvonne Day, Lucy Godhino and Judy Joel.

Each session booked through Authors' Booking Service automatically earns you one ballot in our monthly draws. Some of you may be contacting authors directly, thinking this will save time or money. Neither is true - we pride ourselves on speedy responses, and there is no difference in an author's fee whether booked directly or through this service.

If you'd like to see a full list of available books, check out the posting titled "Books for our Draws!" on our blog at:
http://authorsbooking.blogspot.com
______________________________________

ABS MEMBERS coming your way!

Sigmund Brouwer and Stanley Cup Winner Gaston Gringas!

The Stanley Cup and Literacy!  With two new French titles released in late April with co-writer Sigmund Brouwer, new author Gaston Gingras will be available to present to English and French immersion schools as part of Brouwer’s Rock and Roll Literacy program.

Gaston Gingras played for the Kitchener Rangers, then the Toronto Maple Leafs and the Montreal Canadiens, where he won a Stanley Cup. Available dates are during Catholic Education Week, and Book Week -- late April and early May.

Sigmund also has some availability for his regular presentations this spring.  Ask about dates he can visit your area.

Jo Ellen Bogart will be in Ottawa and has dates available April 18 and 20, 2011. Transportation for her trip to Ottawa is being partially subsidized, so is much reduced.

Philip Roy (Submarine Outlaw) is available in the GTA, Hamilton and Oakville area in April.

Gail Sidonie Sobat will be in the GTA and is available for school and library visits on April 27 and 28.

Jacqueline Guest is available in Toronto on the  morning of  April 28.

Helaine Becker is available in Brantford in the morning on May 3.

A Royal Little Pest Team will be in St. Catharines and is available for bookings on May 4

Helaine Becker is available in Peterborough in the afternoon on May 5.

Celia Godkin will be in the GTA and is available for bookings May 24 - 26.

Tololwa Mollel will be in the GTA and is available for bookings May 24 - 30.

Helaine Becker will be in the Ottawa area several times this school year and will waive travel costs for full day bookings (4 sessions).

___________________________________

Availability Alert: FOREST OF READING PRESENTERS!

Coming from Out-of-Province

Lois Peterson, Silver Birch Express nominee for The Ballad Of Knuckles McGraw is available on May 9, 10 and 11. Fees: $250 per one-hour presentation, $200 each for two or more at one location. Plus $35 per presentation toward accommodation costs.

Vicki Grant, Red Maple nominee for Not Suitable for Family Viewing, is available in the GTA from May 9 to 13. $300 per session. Discounted rate for multiple sessions.

Don Calame, White Pine nominee for Swim the Fly, is available in the GTA during Book Week (April 30 to May 7) and Forest of Reading Week (May 7 to 13). Book now to avoid disappointment.

Ontario-Based OLA Nominees

Please note that many Ontario members are available throughout the year.  Contact us for details.

Andrew Larsen, Blue Spruce nominee for The Imaginary Garden, is available during the mornings of May 9th and 10th and 13th in the Metro Toronto area. Flat fee of $250 per hour long session.

Sharon Jennings, Silver Birch fiction nominee for Home Free and Blue Spruce nominee for C'Mere boy is available all day May 9th. Standard fee of $250.00 per one hour session. No travel cost within the Golden Horseshoe; standard mileage fees apply outside the GTA. Available the morning of May 13th in the Durham area only.

Marina Cohen, Red Maple nominee for Ghost Ride, is available during the afternoon of May 13. Flat fee of $250 per hour long session. No travel fees for Orangeville and surrounding areas or within the GTA.

Kathy Kacer, Red Maple non-fiction nominee for Whispers from the Ghettos is available all day on May 9 and 12. Fee is $350 plus HST ($400 plus HST outside of the GTA) per hour long session, plus mileage. “Looking forward to meeting you and your students!”

Sharon McKay, non-fiction nominee for Whispers from the Ghetto, Red Maple, is available every afternoon. Flat fee of $600. per afternoon (2 or 3 sessions) plus a free brown-bag lunch for students interested in writing as a career. Parents welcome.

Richard Scarsbrook, White Pine nominee for The Monkeyface Chronicles, is available most days and evenings between May 7 to 15. Flat fee of $275 per session. No travel fees within Toronto. Will travel up to 200 km from Toronto, standard kilometrage applies.

Lana Button, Blue Spruce nominee for Willow's Whispers, is available all day May 9 and 10. Flat fee of $200 per hour long session. Will travel up to 60 km from Burlington, standard kilometrage applies.

Ann Love and Jane Drake, Silver Birch non-fiction nominees for Talking Tails: the Incredible Connection Between People and Their Pets are available May  9, 10 and 11 in the GTA. Flat fee of $300 per hour long session. HST added plus standard kilometerage fees apply.

Monica Kulling, Silver Birch Express nominee for It's A Snap! George Eastman's First Photograph, is available all day May 10 and 11 and during the morning of May 13. Flat fee of $200. per 40 min. session.

Alyxandra Harvey, White Pine nominee for Hearts at Stake is available on May 9 and after noon on May 10th. Her rate is $150 per session, plus transportation if travel longer than an hour. Toronto, Brampton, Guelph, Newmarket areas easiest to visit.

Welcome, Marc Ngui, Red Maple non-fiction nominee!

We are pleased to announce that Marc Ngui of Cambridge ON, illustrator for Watch This Space is now available for school and library presentations. Marc will travel at no cost within the Kitchener, Waterloo, Cambridge, Guelph.  Standard kilometrage applies elsewhere.

For more information about Marc, go here: http://authorsbooking.com/2043/authors/Marc_Ngui.html
___________________________________

OUR MEMBER LISTS!

Click here for a direct link to our list of Forest of Reading nominees:
http://authorsbooking.com/2043/2064.html

A list of our regular members can be seen here:

http://www.authorsbooking.com/2043/index.html

Contact us to book any of our members, or to be notified as to when they will be in your area.

Questions?  Comments?  We’re listening!

Marsha & Valerie

Contact us at a...@authorsbooking.com.  We respond quickly to all e-mails.

Please note: If you haven't had a reply to messages sent to the above address within 2 working days, your message may have gone astray.  In that case, please contact either of us at home.

Valerie Sherrard: val...@nbnet.nb.ca or Marsha Skrypuch: mar...@calla.com