Your perspectives on the qualities of a good mentor ?

Dr Farooq Rathore

Jul 22, 2021, 2:48:15 AM (8 days ago) Jul 22
to auth...@googlegroups.com
Dear Colleagues

One of the main functions of the AuthorAID platform is to connect mentees with potential mentors. As a mentee and now a mentor myself, I feel that sometimes the role of a mentor is not clear to many? It can result in disappointment and wastage of an opportunity which could have benefitted both the mentor and the mentee.

I would like to know your perspective on what makes a good mentor ? or what qualities you would like to see in your mentor? The response can be different for everyone but I am assuming that there will be some common points which we agree upon.

I would appreciate it if you can share your perspectives and if possible your own experience as well.

Best Regards

Farooq

--
Dr. Farooq Azam Rathore MBBS, FCPS, OJT (USA), MSc (Pain Medicine)

Consultant  and Head of Department
Department of Rehabilitation Medicine
PNS Shifa Hospital, DHA II, Karachi, Pakistan
Assistant Professor
Bahria University Medical and Dental College, Karachi
Member, Expert Advisory Panel on Rehabilitation
World Health Organization (WHO)
Executive Board Member and National Representative
Executive Board Member and LMIC Representative

Office                                  +92-21-48506605
Cell                                       +92-312-9549821
Appointment / Assistant    +92-3200-400675

Berta Fernández Nuez

Jul 22, 2021, 5:30:19 AM (8 days ago) Jul 22
to AuthorAID
Dear Farooq,

Thanks for raising this question, since I also want to know what this really entails. As a first-stage researcher, I cannot say much of what being a mentor or mentee is, since I am also new to this. But in my own words, I would feel like a mentor would be someone who has a long expertise in a theme I am interested in researching and can show me the way and also where new research questions arises. This first encounter for someone new like me can give sense to our career path, and therefore I would favour a mentor that would challenge me in my research question, engage in conversation and debate and recommends me researching tools. This would also be very helpful if it could happen in-person and not only online.

Regards,
Berta Fernández Nuez