Seeking answers to a disputing idea

Minale Demelash

Jul 18, 2024, 5:21:30 AM (7 days ago) Jul 18
to AuthorAID
In my quasi-experimental education study, I have four groups (three interventions and one comparison groups). The three intervention groups received three different instructions and the comparison group exposed to the existing teaching method. In this study, how many independent variables are there? Someone said three, some other scholar said four, and the other said one independent variable with four categories. Among these persons, which one is correct?
I expect your kind responses.

Jacob A. Ayembilla

Jul 18, 2024, 4:49:29 PM (6 days ago) Jul 18
to auth...@googlegroups.com
You have provided scanty information for us to able to assist. The 3 interventions and 1 control you have are simply just your experimental groups NOT variables. Variables are the parameters you are interested in measuring e.g Age, sex, exams scores, behaviour, perception, attitude etc. Please revisit your research questions and objectives to identify what variables you need to measure to answer them.
Best regards.

--
When posting, please include your name, institution/organisation
You can also start a new thread by emailing auth...@googlegroups.com

Amos AKINOLA

Jul 19, 2024, 4:29:21 AM (6 days ago) Jul 19
to auth...@googlegroups.com
In my opinion, there three independent variables and one dependent variables. In all, four variables.

On Thu, Jul 18, 2024, 10:21 AM Minale Demelash <demelashm...@gmail.com> wrote:
In my quasi-experimental education study, I have four groups (three interventions and one comparison groups). The three intervention groups received three different instructions and the comparison group exposed to the existing teaching method. In this study, how many independent variables are there? Someone said three, some other scholar said four, and the other said one independent variable with four categories. Among these persons, which one is correct?
I expect your kind responses.

Minale Demelash

Jul 19, 2024, 4:29:33 AM (6 days ago) Jul 19
to auth...@googlegroups.com
Dear Dr Jacob A. Ayembilla
Thank you for your idea. In my study, the DVs are achievement, engagement, and motivation. These are going to be measured as a response to teaching methods. These teaching methods are of four kinds. The three teaching methods (assume A, B, and C) differ to each other. These are what I am going to manipulate (interventions). The fourth one is also different from these three pedagogies. It is the existing teaching method that we call it as conventional. This is all. I think I tried to make it clear. To remember my questions, the number of independent variables (IVs) are:
1. four
2. three, excluding the conventional teaching method
3. one with four categories/levels
4.  one with three categories/levels
I expect your answers.
With kind regards

--

Minale Demelash,

PhD Candidate (at AAU), Chemistry Education,

Dilla University,

Research Areas: Chemistry and integrated science education (context-based learning; simulation-assisted instruction; systematic literature review; teaching-learning activities, instructional approach, teaching methods, instructional strategy, general school science education)

Cell phone: 0940631416

ORCiD: 0000-0003-4898-2130

Academia.edu: https://dillauniversity.academia.edu/MinaleDemelash

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/minale-demelash-71136321a/

Twitter: https://twitter.com/DemelashMinale

ResearchGate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Minale_Demelash

melkie dagnaw

Jul 19, 2024, 4:29:41 AM (6 days ago) Jul 19
to auth...@googlegroups.com

I think, this is intervantions  which applied  like treatments
Variables are two on kind
1. Dependent or response or variable  or your outcome
2. Independent variable or explanatory or something to apply or factors or something influence (in health scince we call risk factors)the response variable =like treatment, sex, age, education intevenrions
Here, in order to eliminate variability the design should be equivalent in age, or ingeneral make adjustment

BENJAMIN OSARO

Jul 19, 2024, 4:29:51 AM (6 days ago) Jul 19
to auth...@googlegroups.com
Dear Minale,
Your quasi-experimental study had 4 intervention groups (3 treatment and 1control) all measuring an independent variable(s) from which the outcome or dependent variable may be determined. These variables are not stated. However, the outcome variable can be determined during analysis by comparing the effect of the intervention in the control vs each treatment group or with all the treatment groups at the same time to see the contribution of each treatment to the outcome variable. Which of these 2 approaches you will take, will depend on the study objective(s).
Regards
Osaro.

On Thu, Jul 18, 2024, 10:21 AM Minale Demelash <demelashm...@gmail.com> wrote:
In my quasi-experimental education study, I have four groups (three interventions and one comparison groups). The three intervention groups received three different instructions and the comparison group exposed to the existing teaching method. In this study, how many independent variables are there? Someone said three, some other scholar said four, and the other said one independent variable with four categories. Among these persons, which one is correct?
I expect your kind responses.

Riri Johnson Vonje

Jul 19, 2024, 5:45:31 AM (6 days ago) Jul 19
to auth...@googlegroups.com
Dear Demelash,
In your quasi-experimental education study, you have one independent variable: the type of instruction. This independent variable has four levels:
1. Intervention Group 1: Received Instruction A
2. Intervention Group 2: Received Instruction B
3. Intervention Group 3: Received Instruction C
4. Comparison Group: Exposed to the existing teaching method

NB:
The number of independent variables in a study is determined by the distinct factors or conditions that the researcher manipulates to observe their effect on the dependent variable.
In your study, the distinct factor being manipulated is the type of instruction. Let us look it this way; -

Type of Instruction: This is the factor you are manipulating, it includes the different teaching methods you are applying.
1. Intervention Group 1: Receives Instruction A
2. Intervention Group 2: Receives Instruction B
3. Intervention Group 3: Receives Instruction C
4. Comparison Group: Exposed to the existing teaching method

Despite being four groups, they all represent different conditions or levels of a single factor, the type of instruction. Therefore, you have one independent variable (type of instruction) with four levels (the three different instructions plus the existing method).

If there were other distinct factors you were manipulating (e.g., varying both the type of instruction and the duration of instruction), then you would have more than one independent variable. However, in this case, the only factor being varied is the type of instruction. This is my understanding and my opinion.

Kind Regards,
Riri

melkie dagnaw

Jul 19, 2024, 6:19:34 AM (6 days ago) Jul 19
to auth...@googlegroups.com

I think, you are discusing about ANOVA charachrstics
This one way anova in four groups.bc only one outcome and four treatments.
If you have duration you will go to twoway.

Minale Demelash

Jul 19, 2024, 8:23:14 AM (6 days ago) Jul 19
to auth...@googlegroups.com
I respect, thank, and appreciate all of you for giving responses to my query.

Jacob A. Ayembilla

Jul 22, 2024, 5:24:38 AM (3 days ago) Jul 22
to auth...@googlegroups.com
So based on this information you have 4 variable. However, you should be interested in measuring confounders or covariates as well e.g. age, sex, locality etc.
Good luck

Minale Demelash

Jul 22, 2024, 6:26:24 AM (3 days ago) Jul 22
to auth...@googlegroups.com
Okay, thank you very much for your concerns.