INTERNATIONAL WATER DAY MARCH 22ND

watereddy

Mar 24, 2011, 12:42:54 AM3/24/11
to Australian Water Network
Brilliant work!

On 22 Mar 2011, at 10:51, Kate Fried wrote:

Happy World Water Day, Water Warriors!

In observance of one of our favorite days of the year, we wanted to
share with you some developments that highlight our collective work to
ensure access to clean, safe, affordable water to all.

First, we'd like to draw your attention to efforts to fight the
privatization of world water resources. This petition to the United
Nations supports the work of Bolivian President Evo Morales, who is
leading the charge for a United Nations resolution to block the sale
of public water service to private companies. We will be delivering
the petition in support of this resolution to U.S. representatives to
the United Nations. To learn more and to sign the petition, visit us
here: http://action.foodandwaterwatch.org/p/dia/action/public/?action_KEY=6241

Second, we are proud to announce that availability of a new tool
designed to inspire and foster a new generation of water warriors. The
Take Back the Tap Curriculum, which seeks to educate youth about the
environmental, economic and social effects of bottled water, launched
this week. A press release announcing its launch follows. To read a
copy of the curriculum, visit us here: http://www.foodandwaterwatch.org/water/bottled/curriculum/

March 17, 2011

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Contact: Kate Fried, Food & Water Watch: (202) 683-4905

Innovative Tool Breeds a New Generation of Tap Water Advocates

Washington, D.C.—As water advocates world-wide gear up to educate the
public about the need to ensure access to safe, clean affordable water
to all today on World Water Day, an innovative new tool is now
available to bring these lessons to the classroom. Today the national
consumer advocacy group Food & Water Watch released the Take Back the
Tap Curriculum. The curriculum educates youth about the negative
effects of bottled water on their wallets and communities, and the
importance of maintaining public tap water systems.

“World Water Day is an opportunity to highlight the challenges facing
the 1.1 billion people around the world who lack access to safe,
clean, affordable water,” said Food & Water Watch Executive Director
Wenonah Hauter. “It is therefore fitting that we’re using this
occasion to launch the Take Back the Tap Curriculum. We hope it will
inspire tomorrow’s leaders to fight to protect one of our most vital
natural resources—our water.”

Food & Water Watch’s Take Back the Tap Curriculum engages students to
take action within their schools and communities to protect essential
water resources. It uses lesson plans in Language Arts, Math, Social
Studies and Science to educate students about where bottled water
comes from, how the bottled water industry markets its products, the
environmental effects of bottled water and chemicals and contaminants
often present within bottled water, among other issues.

"As a middle school teacher I am always looking for ways my students
can take action and see real results in their school and community,"
said Eleanor Davis, a teacher at Paul Public Charter School in
Washington, D.C. "This curriculum's multidisciplinary perspective
helps students understand the complex environmental and political
issues that stem from bottled water, inspiring them to act on their
new knowledge. This is an issue to which every student can relate."

The curriculum is also intended to inspire students to apply the
lessons they’ve learned to advocate for clean, affordable, public
drinking water resources in their schools and communities.
Administrators and teachers will find the curriculum’s
interdisciplinary lessons an innovative departure from standard
approaches to teaching students about water-related issues.

Food & Water Watch’s Take Back the Tap Curriculum is available online
at: http://www.foodandwaterwatch.org/water/bottled/curriculum/

Food & Water Watch works to ensure the food, water and fish we consume
is safe, accessible and sustainable. So we can all enjoy and trust in
what we eat and drink, we help people take charge of where their food
comes from, keep clean, affordable, public tap water flowing freely to
our homes, protect the environmental quality of oceans, force
government to do its job protecting citizens, and educate about the
importance of keeping shared resources under public control.

###

In Solidarity,

Kate Fried
Senior Communications Manager