QGIS Web services ???

Sheece

Jun 8, 2021, 2:08:02 AM6/8/21
to QGIS Australia User Group
Hi All,
   We have got some data in cloud. We want to create a web service (I don't think I even understand what a web service is). Basically what we want is a web page where a user can view a GeoTiff. I think its served through a Web Map Services (WMS) i am not too sure.

If someone can recommend an open source software stack that I should look into or any pointers of hints to setup a minimum viable product(MVP) that will be awesome.

Cheers,
Sheece

John Bryant

Jun 8, 2021, 3:17:27 AM6/8/21
to QGIS Australia User Group
Hi Sheece, there are many options for both of these, and just as many opinions about which options are best :)

You could run a WMS server like Geoserver or MapServer. They can be a little bit fiddly to get started but one you have them running it's pretty straightforward to set up WMS (or WMTS, WFS, WCS etc) services. You could also look at OWSLib (Python package).

You could also take a GeoTiff and chop it into tiles in QGIS using the Generate XYZ Tiles function, and then serve those tiles up with an ordinary web server like nginx or apache.

On the front end, to read the WMS or tiles and put them on an interactive map,  you'll probably need a JavaScript web mapping library like Leaflet or OpenLayers. Mapbox GL is also great but not (strictly speaking) open source anymore (though MapLibre is a recent OS fork).

Others may have other suggestions worth checking out... QGIS Server maybe?

Good luck!

Cheers
John

Brad Hards

Jun 8, 2021, 6:58:12 AM6/8/21
to australian-qg...@googlegroups.com
On Tuesday, 8 June 2021 4:06:59 PM AEST Sheece wrote:
> Hi All,
> We have got some data in cloud. We want to create a web service (I don't
> think I even understand what a web service is). Basically what we want is a
> web page where a user can view a GeoTiff. I think its served through a Web
> Map Services (WMS) i am not too sure.
John made some good suggestions in terms of tech.

You might also think about why you are trying to do this. Web services, WMS,
GeoTIFF are how to do something, but not why. Even GIS fanatics don't usually
go to a web page to look at GeoTIFF. Instead, they are looking up something,
or doing some kind of planning, or analysis.

Also, is the GeoTIFF data available at a URL you open / download it from (like
Amazon S3)? Can you tell us what it is?

Brad

Greg Lauer

Jun 8, 2021, 8:15:57 AM6/8/21
to australian-qg...@googlegroups.com
If you are only looking to host a geotiff, (or a series of geotiffs or mosiacs) in the cloud,  to then view in QGIS, then one simple solution is https://www.maptiler.com/desktop/. It creates the appropriate files structure on a server and the URL's you need to access via QGIS. This saves setting up and managing web servers and allows access to the geotiff via the browser, WMTS client like QGIS, or a mobile app supporting xyz tiles. The have a free version so you can test the workflow (albeit with watermark)

You can set up a free AWS S3 account to host - MapTiler takes care of all the permissions

Basic work flow as follows
  1. Convert geotiff to MBTILES using MapTiler
  2. Upload to S3 using MapTiler
  3. View image in QGIS via WMTS or XYZ

Cheers

Greg