QGIS WGS 84 CRS - Incorrect/Large Coordinates

Ben Cowling

Jan 18, 2022, 10:58:28 PM1/18/22
to QGIS Australia User Group
Hi All,

I have an issue with QGIS where no matter what CRS I am in, my coordinates are always displayed in extremely large numbers, for example - (155838567, -4513529) instead of a normal latitude and longitude.

I have tried every version of WGS 84 and no matter what map layer I bring in I have the same issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Ben
Capture.PNG

Andrew Jeffrey

Jan 18, 2022, 11:08:16 PM1/18/22
to QGIS Australia User Group
Hi Ben,

That screenshot you provided has the projects projection (CRS) set to EPSG:3857 which is the Web Mercator projection and will display projected coordinates like you are seeing at the moment, that's normal behaviour and this is probably happening because QGIS is adopting the CRS of the first layer added to the project.

You can override this by clicking on the projects CRS setting on the bottom right of the screen (#1 in my screen shot below),  this will launch the Project Properties - CRS where you can search for a WGS84 EPSG code (#2), and select the one you want to use (#3).

Set_CRS.png

Andrew

Lisa Hubbard

Jan 18, 2022, 11:10:27 PM1/18/22
to australian-qg...@googlegroups.com

Hi Ben,

The display coordinates are different to the actual layer CRS.

You can set the display coordinates for the Project in the Project Properties.

Select Project>Properties from the drop down menus.

In the General section there is coordinate display (see screenshot).

Here you can choose the type of display units:

Map Units (meters), decimal degrees, degree/minutes/seconds.

I suspect it is currently set for decimal degrees for you and you will need to change to degrees, minutes, seconds.

Regards,

Lisa Hubbard

Lisa Hubbard
Geographical Information Systems Officer

T: (08) 9727 0222
F: (08) 9727 0223
E: in...@capel.wa.gov.au
W: www.capel.wa.gov.au
PO Box 369, Capel WA 6271

Our Vision

A future focused and resilient community that benefits from
good governance, responsive services and appropriate facilities
to deliver positive social, environmental and economic
outcomes for everyone.

The information contained in this email message, and any associated attachments, is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is only intended for the recipient(s) named above. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, disclosure or copying of this email is unauthorised and prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please notify the Shire of Capel immediately and delete the message. Any views expressed in this email message are those of the individual sender, except where the message states otherwise and the sender is authorised to state those views on behalf of the Shire of Capel.

We wish to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land we are meeting on, the Gnaala Karla Booja and South West Boojarah people. We wish to acknowledge and respect their continuing connection to the land, waters and community. We pay our respects to all members of the Aboriginal communities and their cultures; and to Elders, past, present and emerging