CLT opportunity

gflomenh

Jan 23, 2018, 5:30:31 PM1/23/18
to australian-...@googlegroups.com, Andrew Paul

Greetings,

We have talked to dozens of Community Housing Providers over the last 2 years, and several council members in various places about CLTs.  Despite having much fully paid-for land, none of them is willing to leverage their property, or make any of their land available for a community land trust so far. We have also spoken to numerous eco-villages, co-housing groups, and other communities in formation or already existing about CLTs, but it hasn't worked out.

So we are taking a different tack.

We recently found the last remaining affordable land in the Brisbane area where lots are selling for $15-$30,000.  We found a group of four mostly adjacent lots selling for $60,000.  We would like to acquire these lots and turn them into the first CLT in the Brisbane area.  So we are going to organize a crowdfunding campaign to acquire this land.  If 60 people donate $1000 each, we could acquire it in short order.  Andrew and I have each committed $1000 already.  While we research the crowd-funding platform, we wanted to reach out to this group, as some people have indicated a desire in the past to contribute to the progress of CLTs in Australia.

If you would like to contribute to this project, would like more details, or perhaps even live there, please contact Andrew Paul at:

"Andrew Paul" <and...@communitylandtrust.com.au>

or me Gary Flomenhoft: ga...@communitylandtrust.com.au

Thank you for your interest.

Gary

Lisa Colley

Jan 28, 2018, 5:55:19 PM1/28/18
to australian-...@googlegroups.com
Hi

Would you mind calling me? I'm interested to discuss. 0404 294 898

Lisa Colley

or me Gary Flomenhoft: ga...@communitylandtrust.com.au

Thank you for your interest.

Gary

sophia redmond

Jan 28, 2018, 8:00:12 PM1/28/18
to australian-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Andrew,

That's really exciting. I'm in Byron Shire and would be happy to talk further about supporting your project.

Cheers

Sophia

On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 9:22 AM, gflomenh <Gary...@uvm.edu> wrote:

[...]

gflomenh

Jan 28, 2018, 8:08:36 PM1/28/18
to australian-...@googlegroups.com, Andrew Paul

Dear Lisa,

I am copying this to Andrew Paul, as I'm not sure he is getting the CLT-network emails.  I am hoping he will call you as I am currently out of the country till March.

Thanks for your interest.

Gary

Jan 28, 2018, 8:17:45 PM1/28/18
to australian-...@googlegroups.com, Cr. Paul Spooner, sophia....@gmail.com, Andrew Paul

Thank you Sophia,

Councilor Paul Spooner has been very supportive and has set up a CLT legal structure in Byron.  We hope to be down there again soon to move forward.  We have been communicating to Byron through the Facebook group "Reclaiming Our Homes" 😊https://web.facebook.com/groups/1892233174390299/

Meanwhile, please contact Andrew Paul about the Brisbane area CLT crowdfunding campaign.  I will be back in March from travel.

Gary

Feb 12, 2018, 8:52:49 PM2/12/18
to Australian CLT Network
Great to see the interest in CLT's, and this page of deep knowledge!

We have been working on a innovative concept of investing into organic farmland, and keep coming back to the CLT model.  Would be interested to hear from others that are keen on the rural/farmland aspect - though we intend to include affordable housing for farm workers on the said farmland.

Our members are keen to invest into farming projects, that offer real returns over the long term.  This will include farm improvement (like processing facilities/hot houses), but also the farm acquistion and holding aspect.

Love to hear others thoughts.
Carolyn