Sowing Anthurium seeds .

Michael Pascall

Sep 26, 2008, 4:20:44 AM9/26/08
to australian-a...@googlegroups.com

Usually the berries on Anthurium are large enough to handle easily . They just need a squeeze and the seeds pop out .

I put them into a bowl and have another container handy to rinse off the rest of the berry .

When finished put the seeds into a tall glass jar , Dolmio spaghetti sauce ones work well for me .

A tiny drop of detergent and shake the seeds . Let settle and pour off the floaties . The narrow top helps retain the seeds .

An alternative is just to squeeze the seeds onto you chosen media .

I like to use sphagnum moss to germinate seeds as it is sterile .

Do not let media dry out to much , it can be hard to wet again .

Also do not keep to wet , it needs to be just right .

After loosing a few batches of very rare imported seeds I tried sealing the seeds inside a 1kg yoghurt container .

This worked very well and saved some nice species .

I put a layer of quincan on the base , after ensuring a few drain holes worked .

Next a layer of pine bark , then some top quality potting mix with slow release fertilizer .

Some more 5mm quincan , then a layer of chopped sphagnum moss .

A few cms clearance inside is needed to let the seedlings grow .

This humidicrib helps nurture seedlings over winter when importing seeds .

Michael Pascall