Station showdown

AusradioSearch http://www.ausradiosearch.com/

Jun 15, 2008, 3:43:11 PM6/15/08
to australian.radio.moderated,google,newsgroup
Station showdown
BY SEAN FORD
13/05/2008 10:12:00 AM
The Burnie City Council recently asked 87.6 TCT FM to stop
transmitting, citing a safety problem involving council communications
systems, according to Kentish country fan Barb Wells.

She said it had been the only station she listened to and there were
many others like her in the region.

"It's them or it's nothing and it will be for a lot of people.

"You could send cheerios, you could request songs, and I would would
swear 70 per cent (of callers) were from the Burnie area.

"I was damn mad."

Ms Wells said the station was a business, running advertisements, and
had done a lot for local communities and tourism.

That included raising more than $10,000 for the Reece High School fire
appeal some years ago.

The station, which could be heard between Wynyard and Deloraine, is
now off the air.

Don-based manager Peter Sterling said the matter was with his
solicitors and the Australian Communications and Media Authority and
he had been instructed not to speak.

"We have had over 200 people phone up and complain to us about the
service being off."

Comment was being sought from the council officers. Late yesterday,
Mayor Alvwyn Boyd said he would look into it.