Monthly Weather Stats for Gilmore North January 2022. A La Nina continues , Wet and cooler than recent years

Gavin O'Brien

Feb 3, 2022, 10:09:12 AM2/3/22
to aust...@googlegroups.com, Jeff and Marcia Kingwell, Chris Rule, Michael O'Brien, Don White, Rachel Riches, Thomas Riches, Vivienne.Micheline.Thurgar, Marjie Aguilana, Tim Morrow, John O'Brien
January 2022 will be remembered as like 2021, and  being in sharp contrast to 2019/2020  a very wet, cooler than average Summer month . Several severe storms impacted Canberra and the region during the month causing significant damage from large hail, damaging winds and intense rainfall . Here at Gilmore we missed the worst impact of these events, as they were quite localized in  aerial extent , affecting mainly North Canberra .
Maximum Temperature;26.0 degrees (-2.7) coolest since 2000.
Minimum Temperature ;15.0 degrees (-0.7) coolest since 2021.
Mean Temperature; 20.5 degrees (-0.9) Coolest since 2005.
We recorded NO Maximum above 40 degrees ( Average 0.31 days)
                      NO Maximum above 35 Degrees ( Average 3.5 days)
There were  only two days exceeding 30 Degrees ( Average 13 days).The least since 4 days were recorded in February 2000.

Rainfall was recorded on12 days totalling 125.5mm, well above the average of 56.8mm.
Most of the rain fell in three events with 39.9 mm on the 15th followed by 31.0 mm and 21.8mm on the 7th and 8th respectively .All these events were associated with thunderstorms. Towards the end of January very moist air of tropical origin flowed across the region with 9 am Dew Points approaching and exceeding 21 degrees on the morning of the 29th, an extremely rare event in Canberra . We even experienced a dense Fog on February 1st , again extremely rare in Summer.
The strongest wind gust was Southerly @ 44 km/hr at 7.07pm on the 20th . Winds were frequently light and variable . There was  a notable absence of the "Braidwood Doctor", that refreshing, often quite gusty cool moist Easterly wind which sets in around 6pm after a hot summer's day.
There were four thunderstorms affecting the site, with thunder heard in the area or distant lightning seen on a further two afternoons/evenings both located along the Brindabella Ranges.
The Volcanic eruption in the Kingdom of Tonga produced atmospheric waves which were recorded by our Barographs on the evening of the 14th. Information received since indicates they were recorded world wide - a truly remarkable event!
The outlook with the current La Nina Event likely to last  into Autumn, seems to be a continuation of the cool, cloudy weather with above average rainfall and cooler than average temperatures.

Regards,

Gavin

Blair Trewin

Feb 3, 2022, 5:48:38 PM2/3/22
to aust...@googlegroups.com
Canberra has not yet reached 33 degrees this warm season. The last time it got this far into the warm season without having reached 33 was in 1973-74 (when it didn't get there at all) - in 1988-89 it didn't reach 33 in December or January, but did in November.

Blair

Feb 5, 2022, 12:08:23 AM2/5/22
to aust...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Blair,
I am doing a comparison between temperature data from the Canberra Airport/Isabella Plains AWS and my own site to see the trends and variations over the years in the temperatures experienced in the Canberra Region. I am interested in differences due to elevation as well. It is proving quite interesting.

Cheers
Gavin