Record rains

Don White

Feb 27, 2022, 1:07:40 AM2/27/22
to aust...@googlegroups.com

Capital City  Rain

To 4 pm this afternoon,  Brisbane  has had 774 mm of rain  this  month

In the  last  180  years  there  has  only  been  3  wetter  months – February  1893  with 1025.9 mm ; March 1879  with  864.7 mm  and December 1859  with 839.6 mm

So it  has  been  the wettest month for 129  years.

Don White

donw...@weatherwatch.net.au

Mob: 0417248705

Ken Kato

Feb 27, 2022, 1:54:17 AM2/27/22
to aust...@googlegroups.com

I’m in the midst of it and the impacts on the ground are horrendous with the sheer extent and severity of the flooding. There are still some differences in the context between the current flooding and the 2011 floods though. The setup’s broadly similar however (both involving an upper low combined with a persistent moisture-laden unstable onshore flow).

6 dead so far (7 including the death in NSW) with fears for another person.

Major flood levels are now being recorded by the St Lucia gauge (near the CBD) along the Brisbane River, and are continuing to increase further.

Wivenhoe Dam was at 173.2% a short time ago, and still continuing to increase rapidly with no let-up so far. It's using an ever-increasing proportion of its flood storage compartment and given the continuing big inflows into it, the margin’s becoming uncomfortable.

There’s been huge rainfall totals across a big expanse of SEQ, not the least of which has included 1710 mm so far since 9am Tuesday.

I believe the Mary River at Gympie also reached its highest level since 1893 earlier today.

Huge amounts of debris also flowing down the Brisbane River since yesterday, including pontoons, piers, boats, etc.... hitting bridge pylons and other boats, causing them to capsize.

Out of the 25 dams that are part of the SEQ Water Grid, all but two of them are currently spilling, have releases going on, or using their flood storage compartments.

There was also distinct rotation on doppler earlier.

Just some of the countless pieces of footage:

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1198581867559546

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=3027227244207989

https://www.facebook.com/naomi.burton2/posts/10228606905063466

https://www.facebook.com/TMRQld/posts/277675024504083

https://twitter.com/clarekatavich/status/1497783087920418821

https://twitter.com/seanparnell/status/1497809219315064833

https://www.facebook.com/SevereWeatherAustralia/posts/10159763375427505

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=322570666579426&set=a.146995907470237

https://www.facebook.com/SevereWeatherAustralia/posts/10159762209762505

https://www.facebook.com/ozcyclonechasers/posts/4981469555242472

https://www.facebook.com/SevereWeatherAustralia/videos/471676444697228/

https://www.facebook.com/ozcyclonechasers/videos/470368284583456/

Ken.

Ken Kato

Feb 27, 2022, 1:54:32 AM2/27/22
to aust...@googlegroups.com

Ken Kato

Feb 27, 2022, 2:02:49 AM2/27/22
to aust...@googlegroups.com

Oops forgot to include the site where that 1710 mm has been recorded so far since 9am Tuesday – it’s Mt Glorious northwest of Brisbane.

Ken.

Feb 27, 2022, 7:47:28 AM2/27/22
to aust...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ken,
I am watching this event with amazement.I recall the 1974 Brisbane floods vividly, although that was thanks to the weak TC 'Wanda' not an upper low circulation as is the current pattern. At last the system seems to be moving southwards along the Coast, so hopefully the worst will soon be over around your location .
Locally we had a major downpour over our part of the ACT yesterday afternoon (Friday)  . Our 24 hour total at Gilmore North was 84.1mm, which on checking the BOM site for the local rain gauge network recordings was the heaviest 24 hour total in the Canberra region. The  Isabella Plains AWS to our southwest in Monash recorded 81.6m.This tally for our current site  is the largest 24 hour rainfall total for February since we started here in 1991.Only January 4th 1993, with 97.4mm beats this morning's total.There was quite a range in gauging  from only 4.8mm at Horse Park in the north to over 40mm down towards Cooma . The total from the Gauge at Tralee ( Melrose Farm) of only 0.2mm  seems to be an error as we are only located about 3 or 4 kilometres away. We had no flash flooding here as the rainfall peaked only  briefly up to 58.8mm /hr at 17.50 hours , commencing at 17.15 and easing at 22.15 hours.
Cheers,

Gavin

Nick Sykes

Feb 27, 2022, 3:21:31 PM2/27/22
to Aussie Weather Group
Hi Gavin

In Wanniassa my nylex 1000 recorded 88mm on Saturday, sitting on 110mm since the rain started Wednesday. Looks like more to come.

Nick

Don White

Feb 27, 2022, 5:40:07 PM2/27/22
to aust...@googlegroups.com

Remarkable  rains in NE NSW.

Dunoon (east of Lismore )  recorded  775  mm in 24 hours  to 0,a -  the heaviest daily  fall in NSW  since  the  state  record  of 809 mm at Dorrigo in Feb 1954, Goonengerry  706,  Doon Doon 698  and Huonbrook 661 all broke  600 mm – the  last time that happened in NSW was  back in Feb 12984 on the Illawarra escarpment

Don W

Bussy

Feb 27, 2022, 5:46:32 PM2/27/22
to aust...@googlegroups.com
Hi Don.

That's incredible when you consider that my annual average here in Rutherglen is only about 600mm for the entire year. And another 175mm added onto that fell in one day there.

Crazy stuff.

Regards Bussy

Blair Trewin

Feb 27, 2022, 5:56:17 PM2/27/22
to aust...@googlegroups.com
It gets a bit messy because the highest totals are from non-Bureau sites (as they were in the 1984 event) so don't appear in our standard records lists. However, the highest total so far reported from a standard Bureau site (575 at Uki) is still the highest in NSW since 1954. It's quite likely that higher totals will come in as other sites report.

Blair

Feb 27, 2022, 6:05:39 PM2/27/22
to aust...@googlegroups.com
Not seeing that one yet in the database but expect it will come in soon (meanwhile another standard site, Repentance Creek, has come in with 620).

Blair

Sent: Monday, February 28, 2022 9:59 AM
To: aust...@googlegroups.com <aust...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: RE: [austpacwx] Record rains [SEC=OFFICIAL]

Blair Trewin

Feb 27, 2022, 6:48:38 PM2/27/22
to aust...@googlegroups.com
Upper Coopers Creek has come in with 701.5. First 700+ in the standard Bureau network in Australia since 1998.

Blair

Feb 28, 2022, 5:53:24 AM2/28/22
to aust...@googlegroups.com

Also a large bunch of 7-day falls exceeding 1000mm in SE QLD/NE NSW   e.g. 1776mm at Mt Glorious northwest of Brisbane…. and 1403mm of that also fell in just three days (I haven’t double checked these figures yet though).

Ken.