Monthly Summary for February 2022 Gilmore North,ACT .A dry start then record daily rainfall at months end . Cooler than average days , but warmer than average nights.

Gavin O'Brien

Mar 1, 2022, 9:08:43 AM3/1/22
to aust...@googlegroups.com, Chris Rule, Thomas Riches, Vivienne.Micheline.Thurgar, Don White, Michael O'Brien, Rachel Riches, Tim Morrow, John O'Brien, Marjie Aguilana, Jeff and Marcia Kingwell, Shaun Cuskelly
Hi all,
What a month February has been! Thanks to the La Nina Event and persistently moist East to North East air flows from an abnormally warm Tasman and Coral Seas, persistent cloud cover has kept Maximum Temperatures below the monthly average for more than half the month.Only 9 days exceeded the daily average maximum for that date in February 2022. The Monthly Average Maximum  Temperature  was 25.8 degrees  (-1.2 degrees).
While the Monthly Average Minimum Temperature was above average at 12.6 degrees (+0.6) in reality, cooler than average nights for the date meant that only 9 days exceeded the average Minimum Temperature for that date with the 28th being right on average.
A brief explanation is needed here.While I report the average Monthly Minimum,Maximum and Mean Monthly Temperatures, I also  calculate the  average Minimum,Maximum and Mean Temperatures for each day of the month as well.
The warmest day was 31.8 degrees on the 15th.The coolest was only 19.1 degrees on the 4th (8.4 degrees below the daily average). The coolest morning was on the 4th (9.2 degrees). The warmest night was 17.9 degrees on the 25th.

Total Rainfall was 115.8mm, well above the Average of 66.1mm . The bulk of the month's rainfall came in one event on the afternoon of the 26th which resulted in a 24 hour February Record of 81.3 mm in my 'official gauge' , but 84.1mm  in the back up gauge which has a 5 inch dia. funnel, compared to 2.5inch for the Marquis Gauge. While we had no flash flooding here, flash flooding meant water over the road on Mugga Lane for a period and extended closure of the ACT's low level river crossings. That is the highest daily 24 hour total for February, exceeding 67.4mm to 9am 3rd February 2011.The heaviest 24 hour total on record is 97.4mm to the 4th January 1993.

We observed 1 fog on the 1st,a very rare event in Summer, There were three thunderstorms during the month. The highest wind gust was 48km/hr at 21.23 hours on the 3rd.There was no hail observed here.
In summary, it was an interesting month.
We wait with interest to see how this current flood event up north plays out as the Coastal  Trough develops into a serious situation should the forecast East Coast Low develop overnight or tomorrow.

Cheers,

Gavin

Xpacific52

Mar 2, 2022, 1:07:00 AM3/2/22
to aust...@googlegroups.com, Chris Rule, Thomas Riches, Vivienne.Micheline.Thurgar, Don White, Michael O'Brien, Rachel Riches, Tim Morrow, John O'Brien, Marjie Aguilana, Jeff and Marcia Kingwell, Shaun Cuskelly

image002.jpg

Gavin O'Brien

Mar 2, 2022, 5:38:59 AM3/2/22
to aust...@googlegroups.com
Hi Steve,
I see where evacuation orders are going out in Sydney's west and northwest as well as the Georges and Cooks Rivers, due to expected flooding.Are you affected?
Gavin

Xpacific52

Mar 2, 2022, 6:58:19 AM3/2/22
to aust...@googlegroups.com

Hi Gavin,

Yes things are a bit grim in the low area’s but we are up high above it all thanks for asking. But a lot of people will have a sleepless night to night as I don’t think the rain will ease off till after midnight. We are now up to 145.6mm for the day and408 for this rain event in Moorebank.

#BREAKING: The NSW SES has told people in Georges Hall and parts of Chipping Norton, Lansvale, Milperra, Moorebank and Warwick Farm to leave their homes by 3am, as heavy rain continues to fall in Sydney.

They have also issued a flood evacuation order for people in parts of Camden, in Sydney’s south-west. They’re being told to leave immediately.

ABC Live Blog: https://ab.co/3vDuIVY

ABC Sydney Emergency Broadcasting: https://ab.co/3K5WIpp

image001.jpg
image002.jpg

Gavin O'Brien

Mar 3, 2022, 2:06:39 AM3/3/22
to aust...@googlegroups.com
Hi Steve,
Glad you are out of the danger zone, I feel sad for the people on the flood plain. One has to ask how the Urban Planners got away with such silly planning in the first place. We all pay for these decisions ininsurance premiums, rates and taxes.
Take care,

Gavin

Bussy

Mar 3, 2022, 4:30:51 AM3/3/22
to aust...@googlegroups.com
Stay safe Steve.

Bussy

Xpacific52

Mar 3, 2022, 4:55:33 PM3/3/22
to aust...@googlegroups.com

Hi all,

Rain is easing to showers and I have now recorded 438mm For this event in Moorebank. I am just glad I don’t have a river view.

image001.jpg
image002.jpg
image003.jpg