Severe storm damage in the Sutton Road State forest

Gavin O'Brien

Jan 21, 2022, 11:57:13 PM1/21/22
to aust...@googlegroups.com, Don White
Hi Don ,Blair and everyone.
A friend who lives out on the Sutton Road just north of the ACT/ NSW border photographed storm damage to the State Forest.  Looks like a down burst. The damage extends from the road east into the forest from about a kilometre. There are a number of photos which I will send on.
Gavin.
Resized_20220104_121710.jpeg

Gavin O'Brien

Jan 22, 2022, 1:08:15 AM1/22/22
to Don White, aust...@googlegroups.com, Jeff and Marcia Kingwell
Hi Don,
The event was about six weeks ago during an outbreak of severe storms around the ACT. I think from my records the 26th December?
My daughter is much more tech savvy than I am .She  has loaded up all the photos that my friend sent me . They are all attached .He thought it was a tornado. However the damage  seems much more likely to have been a strong downburst as there is no evidence of horizontal rotation in the damaged trees.. The winds must have exceeded 100 km/hr to cause such damage. The State Forest , part of a pine plantation, would be about 10 - 15 years old .The trees are quite mature, about 10 to 15 meters tall.
Cheers
Gavin .

On Sat, 22 Jan 2022, 4:01 pm Gavin O'Brien, <southsi...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Don