The Barograph record of the Tonga Volcanic Eruption as recorded in the UK!

1 view

Gavin O'Brien

Jan 26, 2022, 8:07:18 AM1/26/22
to Thomas Riches, Vivienne.Micheline.Thurgar, Chris Rule, Rachel Riches, aust...@googlegroups.com, Michael O'Brien, Marjie Aguilana, Don White, John O'Brien

This  is absolutely amazing! I will recheck to see whether we recorded a return wave here. I hoped to print it and scan but b
No luck so photograph using my phone.
Gavin
20220126_235224.jpg

Bussy

Jan 27, 2022, 2:19:56 AM1/27/22
to aust...@googlegroups.com
I don't understand the return wave Gav but I had a sudden drop of nearly 2 at approx. 3am as it started raining but no gain later.

Regards Bussy

Ken Kato

Jan 27, 2022, 5:28:11 AM1/27/22
to aust...@googlegroups.com
I can't remember if I've already sent this one through the other day Gavin but it appeared the US was also affected by the westward propagating part of the waves that went the long way around the planet (after the initial eastward moving part went through):

Jan 27, 2022, 5:32:44 AM1/27/22
to aust...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ken,
Thanks for that info.How intriguing! This event will keep the boffins working on its cause and effects  for many years! The TV News images of the destruction are heart wrenching .
Gavin

Gavin O'Brien

Jan 27, 2022, 5:33:03 AM1/27/22
to aust...@googlegroups.com
hi Bussy,
The atmospheric pressure wave spreads outwards from the origin at the eruption site upwards through  the Earth's atmosphere,an effect similar to the ripples  produced when a stone is dropped into a pond.But as the earth is a sphere, the waves eventually converge at a point opposite to the origin , in this case in the Gulf of Alaska.They then spread back outwards  and return to the origin at the Volcano.This can happen several times, although with decreasing intensity .I rechecked my recording and compared it with the Met Office recordings. I realized that there were two waves not one!. The explosion actually lifted the whole of the atmosphere above the volcano  to a huge height as illustrated by the massive eruption cloud and then it dropped back down again as the wave traveled radially outwards.. I can't grasp the amount of energy, including the sound that was involved!
I hope this  makes sense..

Cheers,

Gavin