The District of Austin?

AustinLiberator

Nov 27, 2022, 10:54:38 AM11/27/22
to AustinLiberator
Austin Liberator
The newsletter of the Libertarian Party of Travis County (LPTravis)

1. The District of Austin?

From ABC13 in Houston, November 18:

“...[A] bill, proposed by Republican lawmaker Jared Patterson, would get rid of the city of Austin. If the bill gets passed, it would turn the city into the ‘district of Austin,’ meaning the local government would report any new actions directly to Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick and Texas House Speaker Dade Phelan…”

Thanks to Texas LP member Amanda Gibbs, who posted this item on the LPTexas Discord.

In related news, early voting for the runoff in the Austin mayoral race between Kirk Watson and Celia Israel, will run from December 1 to December 9, with Election Day on December 13.

https://countyclerk.traviscountytx.gov/departments/elections/

-----------------
2. Holiday party, December 12

Libertarian Party of Travis County
Holiday Party
Monday, December 12
6:45 - 9:00 p.m.
Casa Chapala, 9041 Research Blvd., Austin

Currently, LPTravis plans to have a holiday party on the date of our next regularly-scheduled meeting, namely, December 12.

As of now, we expect to have the party at Casa Chapala as usual. We are tentatively planning to have a White Elephant gift exchange, and possibly a charity donation opportunity. (For example, last year we collected food donations for the Capital Area Food Bank.)

If you have ideas for this holiday party, now is the time to send them in to LPTra...@gmail.com or to LPTravis Chair Ted Brown at tedbro...@hotmail.com.

Tuesday, November 29: America’s Future Texas Hub Friendsgiving Potluck . 6:30 - 9:00 p.m.

Wednesday, November 30: Freedom: How We Lose It and How We Fight Back, featuring Hong Kong democratic activist Nathan Law. 12:15 to 1:30 p.m. Free. Online event hosted by the Asia Policy Program, UT Austin.

Thursday-Friday, December 1 - 9: Early voting in Austin mayoral runoff.

Saturday, December 3: LPBexar Business Meeting and Holiday Social. 3:00 - 7:00 p.m. 4320 Laurie Michelle Rd, San Antonio.

Wednesday, December 7: Texas NORML November Livestream. 7:00 p.m.

Thursday, December 8: “Grid Down, Power Up” Movie Screening. 5:30 - 7:30 p.m. Texas Public Policy Foundation, 901 Congress Ave., Austin.

Tuesday, December 13: Election day in Austin mayoral runoff.

Tuesday, December 13: IndieWeb and Mastodon: The Time is Now. 7:00 p.m. Capital Factory, 701 Brazos St. (in Omni Hotel). Organized by EFF-Austin.

Tuesday, December 27: Williamson County Libertarian Social. 6:30 p.m. Lupe Tortilla, 240 Bass Pro Dr., Round Rock.

Tuesdays (1st, 3rd, 5th): Speaking of Liberty Toastmasters. Currently meeting in person with an online option.

Tuesdays: Austin Bitcoin Meetup. 7:00 p.m. Online events.

------------------------
4. Local media and web

Websites
Libertarian Party of Travis County
Williamson County Libertarian Party
Libertarian Party of Hays County
Libertarian Party of Texas
Texas Gold

Facebook
Libertarian Party of Travis County page & group
Williamson County Libertarian Party
Libertarian Party of Hays County
Libertarian Parties of Bastrop, Bexar, Blanco, Caldwell, Comal, Guadalupe Counties.
Libertarian Party of Texas
TexasGold

Discord
LPTexas Discord Server Invitation
LPTravis Discord Channel

Podcasts
Fountainhead Forum – Chris Baker
Los Libertinos Podcast – Carlos Abelar
Scott Horton interviews
Counterflow -- Buck Johnson

Blogs
Dr. Mary Ruwart
Libertarian translators by J. Henry Phillips

Twitter
Libertarian Party of Texas
TexasGold

Instagram
TexasGold

MeWe
Libertarian Party of Texas
TexasGold

Telegram
TexasGold

Flote
TexasGold

YouTube
Libertarian Party of Texas
TexasGold

Clubhouse
TexasGold

------------------------
5. What is a libertarian?

Some say libertarians are "plotting to take over the world and leave you alone."

Watch this entertaining 10-minute animation on "The Philosophy of Liberty." (English version) (Other languages)

Tomasz Kaye has created four excellent animations, "George ought to help" (4 min.), "Edgar the Exploiter" (7 min.), "You can always leave" (11.5 min.), and “Sex and Taxes” (5 min.)

Here is a 7-minute video, "What is Classical Liberalism?" from Learn Liberty.

Take this short (10 question) online quiz from the Advocates for Self-Government to see if you might have libertarian leanings: “The World’s Smallest Political Quiz.

More information can be found at:
http://www.lp.org/faq
http://www.libertarianism.org
http://www.theadvocates.org

Austin Liberator editor: Bob Ruliffson
bob.ru...@gmail.com

“So long as we need to control other people,
however benign our motives, we are captive
to that need. In giving them freedom, we free
ourselves.”

Marilyn Ferguson

The content of this newsletter is selected by the
editor, and may not reflect the official position
of the Libertarian Party of Travis County. Also,
the inclusion of any particular item in this
newsletter does not necessarily mean my
endorsement, but I'm trying to maintain a
relatively big tent here.

Austin Liberator website

Become a monthly pledger to the Libertarian Party of Texas!

Donate to the LPTravis using PayPal. (Use the “sending to a friend” option)
Donate to the LPTravis using Piryx..

For more information:
tra...@lptexas.org
LPTra...@gmail.com
Libertarian Party of Texas: 1-800-422-1776