Events around the Libertarian National Committee meeting, November 4-6

AustinLiberator

Oct 30, 2022, 7:54:10 AM10/30/22
to AustinLiberator
Austin Liberator
The newsletter of the Libertarian Party of Travis County (LPTravis)

1. Events around the Libertarian National Committee meeting, November 4-6

[From LPTravis Chair Ted Brown, October 27]

The Libertarian National Committee (LNC) is coming to Austin soon for their quarterly meeting. This is the governing board of the National Libertarian Party. Besides the meeting, which is on November 5 and 6, there are two major social events that local Libertarians are invited to:

Join the Libertarian National Committee for our Meet & Greet events the weekend of November 4-6, 2022 in Austin, TX! Hear from party leaders and meet with your favorite liberty personalities.

VIP Fundraiser. Friday, November 4, 5 PM-9 PM. Hood Residence in Westlake Austin. Hear from Scott Horton, Angela McArdle, and party leadership about the future of the party! Complimentary drinks & dinner are included. Tickets are $100 per ticket or $180 for two.

Austin Social. Saturday, November 5, 8 PM-11 PM. Central Machine Works in Downtown Austin (4824 E Cesar Chavez St, Austin, TX 78702). Meet other libertarians in the heart of Austin. Suggested donation of $25.

RSVP for either or both events.

Info for the LNC meeting on November 5-6.

-----------------
2. League of Women Voters Guide; Early voting underway.

LPTravis Chair (and LP candidate for Texas House District 50) Ted Brown writes: “The Austin-area League of Women Voters guide is now available online. All but two of our candidates responded, and they gave great answers to the questions posed. This guide should be distributed far and wide, especially since it's so hard for voters to get information on down-ballot races.”

https://lwvaustin.org/content.aspx?page_id=22&club_id=334869&module_id=474680#gsc.tab=0

Early voting runs until Friday, November 4. Election Day is November 8. Besides the many Libertarian candidates on the ballot, there are several major bond measures on the ballot. The Libertarian Party of Travis County endorses a NO vote on the following:

City of Austin - $350 million housing bond (Proposition A)
Austin Community College District - $770 million bond (Proposition A)
Austin Independent School District - $2.44 Billion bonds (Propositions A,B,&C)
Pflugerville Independent School District - $367.3 million bonds (Propositions C,D,E,F,G&H)
Lake Austin Independent School District - $703 million bonds (Propositions A,B,&C)

Polling locations:
https://countyclerk.traviscountytx.gov/departments/elections/current-election/#polling-locations

-----------------
3. Libertarian Party of Travis County calendar

Tuesday, November 8
LPTravis election night watch party.
7:00 p.m.
Opal Divine’s
2200 S. I-35, Austin.
(NW corner of I-35 and Oltorf, next to Aiden by Best Western Hotel.)

Monday, November 14
LPTravis Monthly Meeting and Happy Hour: Jim Elwood from Liberty International, plus Election Roundup.
6:45 - 9:00 p.m.
Casa Chapala, 9041 Research Blvd., Austin.

Visitors are welcome.

Keep up to date at the LPTravis website, Facebook page, and Facebook group page.

If you are interested in finding a volunteer role with LPTravis (the possibilities are endless), we encourage you to accept this LPTexas Discord Server Invitation. Once you are set up on the Discord application, then join the LPTravis Discord Channel.

------------------
4. Libertarian candidates news

Tom Kost, Libertarian for Texas House, District 46, will have a Meet-and-Greet at 6:30 p.m., Tuesday, November 1, at LazyDaze in Pflugerville.

Steven Haskett, Libertarian for Texas Senate, District 14, got a positive mention in the Statesman on October 26.

KPRC in Houston invited all the gubernatorial candidates to speak to the voters in a video message. Mark Tippetts, the Libertarian candidate, was the only one to participate.

Mark held an AMA on Reddit on October 27. https://www.reddit.com/user/Mark4Gov/

Wes Benedict, Libertarian for Williamson County Judge, participated in a candidate forum in Leander on October 25.

Jaime Andres Diez, Libertarian for Railroad Commissioner, was on the campaign trail in Brownsville, El Paso, Houston, and College Station in the past week.

------------------
5. Area events of interest

Sunday, October 30: Foundations of a Free Society Reading Group. 3:00 - 4:30 p.m. Online meetup by Austin Objectivism.

Monday - Friday, October 31 to November 4: Early voting.

Wednesday, November 2: Texas NORML November Livestream. 7:00 p.m.

Tuesday, November 8: Election Day.

Tuesday, November 8: LPGuadalupe Election Watch Party and Potluck. 7:00 - 10:00 p.m. 4880 FM 467, Seguin.

Thursday, November 17: LPBexar Discussion Meeting. 7:00 - 9:00 p.m. Babe's Old Fashioned Food, 12415 Bandera Rd, Helotes.

Wednesday, November 16: Overreach: How China Derailed its Peaceful Rise. 12:15 - 1:30 p.m. Location TBA. Sponsored by the Asia Policy Center, UT Austin.

Wednesday, November 16: Texas NORML Fall Social. 8:00 p.m. Flamingo Cantina, 515 E. 6th St., Austin.

Thursday, November 17: Austin Reasonoids (Conditional) Happy Hour at Draught House. 6:30 - 8:30 p.m. RSVP by Monday, November 14.

Tuesday, November 22: Williamson County Libertarian Social. 6:30 p.m. Lupe Tortilla, 240 Bass Pro Dr., Round Rock.

Wednesday, November 30: Freedom: How We Lose It and How We Fight Back, featuring Hong Kong democratic activist Nathan Law. 12:15 to 1:30 p.m. Free. Online event hosted by the Asia Policy Program, UT Austin.

Tuesdays (1st, 3rd, 5th): Speaking of Liberty Toastmasters. Currently meeting in person with an online option.

Tuesdays: Austin Bitcoin Meetup. 7:00 p.m. Online events.

------------------------
6. Local media and web

Websites
Libertarian Party of Travis County
Williamson County Libertarian Party
Libertarian Party of Hays County
Libertarian Party of Texas
Texas Gold

Facebook
Libertarian Party of Travis County page & group
Williamson County Libertarian Party
Libertarian Party of Hays County
Libertarian Parties of Bastrop, Bexar, Blanco, Caldwell, Comal, Guadalupe Counties.
Libertarian Party of Texas
TexasGold

Discord
LPTexas Discord Server Invitation
LPTravis Discord Channel

Podcasts
Los Libertinos Podcast – Carlos Abelar
Scott Horton interviews
Counterflow -- Buck Johnson

Blogs
Dr. Mary Ruwart
Libertarian translators by J. Henry Phillips

Twitter
Libertarian Party of Texas
TexasGold

Instagram
TexasGold

MeWe
Libertarian Party of Texas
TexasGold

Telegram
TexasGold

Flote
TexasGold

YouTube
Libertarian Party of Texas
TexasGold

Clubhouse
TexasGold

------------------------
7. What is a libertarian?

Some say libertarians are "plotting to take over the world and leave you alone."

Some say libertarians are "plotting to take over the world and leave you alone."

David Boaz of the Cato Institute has described libertarianism this way: "Don't hit other people. Don't take their stuff. Keep your promises."

In this 20-minute video, Mr. Boaz speaks on "Introduction to Libertarian Thought."

"The Libertarian Mind" is the subject of this 13.5-minute video from 2015 featuring several Cato scholars.

Take this short (10 question) online quiz from the Advocates for Self-Government to see if you might have libertarian leanings: “The World’s Smallest Political Quiz.

More information can be found at:
http://www.lp.org/faq
http://www.libertarianism.org
http://www.theadvocates.org

Austin Liberator editor: Bob Ruliffson
bob.ru...@gmail.com

“It is not from the benevolence of the
butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we
expect our dinner, but from regard to their
own interest. We address ourselves, not to
their humanity but to their self-love, and
never talk to them of our own necessities
but of their advantages.”

Adam Smith

The content of this newsletter is selected by the
editor, and may not reflect the official position
of the Libertarian Party of Travis County. Also,
the inclusion of any particular item in this
newsletter does not necessarily mean my
endorsement, but I'm trying to maintain a
relatively big tent here.
Austin Liberator website

Become a monthly pledger to the Libertarian Party of Texas!

Donate to the LPTravis using PayPal. (Use the “sending to a friend” option)

Donate to the LPTC using Piryx..

For more information:
tra...@lptexas.org
LPTra...@gmail.com
Libertarian Party of Texas: 1-800-422-1776
National Libertarian Party: 1-800-ELECT US