Liberty for ourselves and others

AustinLiberator

Jun 5, 2022, 10:45:31 AM6/5/22
to AustinLiberator
Austin Liberator
The newsletter of the Libertarian Party of Travis County (LPTravis)

1. Liberty for ourselves and others

Dr. Mary Ruwart:

“No one who seeks power to take away the liberty of others can legitimately claim to love their neighbors. Liberty, on the other hand, is consistent both with self-love and love of others, since we must be willing to grant liberty to others to have it for ourselves. When people are ready, change will happen. Right now, most people want liberty for themselves, but not for their neighbor. Obviously, that won't work. We must be caring enough to allow others to be free if we want freedom for ourselves.”

Dr. Ruwart will visit with Williamson County Libertarians on June 28.

All are welcome.

WCLP Meetup w/ Dr. Mary Ruwart
Tuesday, June 28
6:30 - 9:00 p.m.
Lupe Tortilla
249 Bass Pro Dr., Round Rock.

-----------------
2. Libertarian candidates news

David Roberson, Libertarian for Texas House, District 49, posted these comments on Discord:

“As a new LP member, [the] national convention was intense, illuminating, intellectually stimulating, and inspiring - all at once. I thoroughly enjoyed being immersed in an environment where folks were engaged, had strong opinions (regardless of whether I agreed or disagreed with them), and were committed to doing the dirty, exhausting legwork that is necessary for our form of government. Ours is a government ‘of the people, by the people, and for the people’ and we all have a responsibility to help create a country full of equal opportunity and equal standing before the law. My heart and head [are] full.”

Shanna Steele, Libertarian for Lt. Governor, apparently came close to blows with Beto O’Rourke.

-----------------
3. Libertarian Party of Travis County calendar

Monday, June 13: LPTravis monthly business meeting and happy hour. 6:45 - 9:00 p.m. Casa Chapala, /9041 Research Blvd., Austin. Visitors are welcome.

Keep up to date at our website, Facebook page, and Facebook group page.

If you are interested in finding a volunteer role with LPTravis (the possibilities are endless), we encourage you to accept this LPTexas Discord Server Invitation. Once you are set up on the Discord application, then join the LPTravis Discord Channel.

------------------
4. Area events of interest

Sunday, June 5: "Foundations of a Free Society" Reading Group. 3:00 - 4:30 p.m. Online meetup by Austin Objectivism.

Monday, June 6: League of Independent Voters First Monday Forum. 7:00 - 8:00 p.m. Online.

Tuesday, June 14: Improve Texas Elections with Ranked Choice Voting for Texas. 7:00 p.m. Online.

Saturday, June 18: World Refugee Day Celebration. 11:00 a.m. - 2:30 p.m. Free. Bullock Texas State History Museum, 1800 Congress Avenue, Austin. Refugee Services of Texas.

Monday, June 20: Libertarian Party of Bexar County Discussion Meeting. 7:00 - 9:00 p.m. Texas Hamburger Company, 9010 Huebner Rd, San Antonio.

Sunday, June 26: Austin Libertarian Meetup Group. 7:00 p.m. Pok-e-Jo's, 4109 Capital of Texas Highway (Brodie Oaks Shopping Center), Austin.

Tuesday, June 28: Williamson County Libertarian Social. Featuring Dr. Mary Ruwart. 6:30 p.m. Lupe Tortilla, 240 Bass Pro Dr., Round Rock.

Wednesday, July 6: Texas NORML July Livestream. 8:00 p.m.

Tuesdays (1st, 3rd, 5th): Speaking of Liberty Toastmasters. Currently meeting in person with an online option.

Tuesdays: Austin Bitcoin Meetup. 7:00 p.m. Online events.

------------------------
5. Local media and web

Websites
Libertarian Party of Travis County
Williamson County Libertarian Party
Libertarian Party of Texas
Texas Gold

Facebook
Libertarian Party of Travis County page & group
Williamson County Libertarian Party
Libertarian Party of Hays County
Libertarian Parties of Bastrop, Bexar, Blanco, Caldwell, Comal, Guadalupe Counties.
Libertarian Party of Texas
TexasGold

Discord
LPTexas Discord Server Invitation
LPTravis Discord Channel

Podcasts
Scott Horton interviews
Counterflow -- Buck Johnson

Blogs
Dr. Mary Ruwart
Libertarian translators by J. Henry Phillips

Twitter
Libertarian Party of Texas
TexasGold

Instagram
TexasGold

MeWe
Libertarian Party of Texas
TexasGold

Telegram
TexasGold

Flote
TexasGold

YouTube
Libertarian Party of Texas
TexasGold

Clubhouse
TexasGold

------------------------
6. What is a libertarian?

Some say libertarians are "plotting to take over the world and leave you alone."

Watch this entertaining 10-minute animation on "The Philosophy of Liberty." (English version) (Other languages)

Tomasz Kaye has created three excellent animations, "George ought to help" (4 min.), "Edgar the Exploiter" (7 min.), and "You can always leave" (11.5 min.).

Here is a 7-minute video, "What is Classical Liberalism?" from Learn Liberty.

Take this short (10 question) online quiz from the Advocates for Self-Government to see if you might have libertarian leanings: “The World’s Smallest Political Quiz.

More information can be found at:
http://www.lp.org/faq
http://www.libertarianism.org
http://www.theadvocates.org

Austin Liberator editor: Bob Ruliffson
bob.ru...@gmail.com

“The individual is the true reality of life. A
cosmos in himself, he does not exist for the
State, nor for that abstraction called ‘society’
or the ‘nation,’ which is only a collection of
individuals.”

Emma Goldman

The content of this newsletter is selected by the
editor, and may not reflect the official position
of the Libertarian Party of Travis County. Also,
the inclusion of any particular item in this
newsletter does not necessarily mean my
endorsement, but I'm trying to maintain a
relatively big tent here.

Austin Liberator website

Become a monthly pledger to the Libertarian Party of Texas!

Donate to the LPTravis using PayPal. (Use the “sending to a friend” option)
Donate to the LPTC using Piryx..

For more information:
tra...@lptexas.org
LPTra...@gmail.com
Libertarian Party of Texas: 1-800-422-1776