Badnarik’s last birthday?

AustinLiberator

Aug 7, 2022, 9:03:59 AM8/7/22
to AustinLiberator
Austin Liberator
The newsletter of the Libertarian Party of Travis County (LPTravis)

1. Badnarik’s last birthday?

Wes Benedict visited with 2004 LP nominee for president Michael Badnarik yesterday in San Antonio:

“My old friend, Libertarian comrade, and 2004 Libertarian Presidential candidate Michael Badnarik insists this is his last birthday. I celebrated with him yesterday in San Antonio along with many of his old friends, and a few new ones. He has struggled with heart problems for a long time, is done, has reservations at hospice, and is ready to R.I.P.

“In his own words: "I’m not dead yet… but I probably will be before too long."

More, with pictures, here.

Michael was a resident of Travis County when he ran for and won the nomination for president.

https://badnarik.org/michael-badnarik-1954-2022/

-----------------
2. Libertarian National Committee meeting in Austin, November 5-6

The governing board of the national Libertarian Party, the Libertarian National Committee, meets face-to-face quarterly. At the most recent meeting in Virginia last weekend, the LNC members chose Austin for the location of their next meeting on November 5-6. The venue will be the Holiday Inn Town Lake (Lady Bird Lake).

This message from LP Operations Director Robert Kraus mentions: “Friday, November 4 – Likely local event with the LP Travis / LPTX folks.”

In other news, LNC Chair Angela McCardle will soon move to Austin from California.

-----------------
3. TOMORROW, AUGUST 8 – Jennifer Virden will speak to LPTravis

Jennifer Virden is a candidate for Austin mayor in the November election. On Monday, August 8, she will visit with members of the Libertarian Party of Travis County and the public at our monthly business meeting. You are invited.

Ms. Virden is a native Austinite with 30 years of business and management experience. Read more about her campaign here.

Also joining us will be Clinton Rarey, candidate for Austin City Council, District 1.

LPTravis monthly business meeting and happy hour.
Monday, August 8
6:45 - 9:00 p.m.
Casa Chapala, /9041 Research Blvd., Austin.

Visitors are welcome.

Keep up to date at our website, Facebook page, and Facebook group page.

If you are interested in finding a volunteer role with LPTravis (the possibilities are endless), we encourage you to accept this LPTexas Discord Server Invitation. Once you are set up on the Discord application, then join the LPTravis Discord Channel.

-----------------
4. Libertarian candidates news

Steven Haskett, Libertarian for Texas Senate (District 14) and current representative for District 14 on the State Libertarian Executive Committee, posted: “LP Texas has openings for volunteer positions. I'd love to see TCLP field a couple of these positions. Scroll through this page to see currently open opportunities.”

Clark Patterson, Libertarian for U.S. House (Texas District 37), writes on Substack. His latest, “Both the US and Russia Interfere In Foreign Elections,” was posted on August 1.

Ted Brown, Libertarian for Texas House (District 50), often posts commentary on his approach to current issues. See recent posts on occupational licensing, social media and teenagers, and eminent domain.

Mark Tippetts, Libertarian for Governor, was on the Liberty or NOTA podcast.

Kenneth Welch, Libertarian for Blanco County Commissioner (Pct 4) spoke before the Blanco County Liberal Ladies club on July 29.

------------------
5. Institute for Justice and Bianca King to continue suit against Lakeway

From the Institute for Justice, August 2:

“Last night, Lakeway City Council passed a new home business law, following a lawsuit from home day care provider Bianca King and the Institute for Justice (IJ) challenging the city’s previous regulations. While the new law does make some improvements, the reforms do not go far enough for IJ to drop the lawsuit…”

Continue
https://ij.org/press-release/lakeway-changes-home-business-law-but-major-concerns-still-remain/

Tuesday, August 9: America’s Black Market On The Border. 5:30 - 7:30 p.m. Free. Presented by the Texas Public Policy Foundation (TPPF) and The Federalist. TPPF, 901 Congress Avenue, Austin.

Thursday, August 11: Austin Reasonoids (Conditional!?) Happy Hour at Draught House. 6:30 p.m. Please RSVP at the Meetup site by Monday, August 8.

Sunday, August 14: "Foundations of a Free Society" Reading Group. 3:00 - 4:30 p.m. Online meetup by Austin Objectivism.

Tuesday, August 16: Libertarian Party of Bexar County Discussion Meeting. 7:00 - 9:00 p.m. BallHogg's BBQ, 2941 E. Houston St., San Antonio.

Tuesday, August 16: Improve Texas Elections meeting. 7:00 - 8:15 p.m. Free online bi-monthly meeting of Ranked Choice Voting for Texas.

Wednesday, August 17: Texas NORML Summer Social. 8:00 p.m. $5 cover. Flamingo Cafe, 515 E. 6th St., Austin.

Tuesday, August 23: Williamson County Libertarian Social. 6:30 p.m. Lupe Tortilla, 240 Bass Pro Dr., Round Rock.

Sunday, August 28: Austin Libertarian Meetup Group. 7:00 p.m. Pok-e-Jo's, 4109 Capital of Texas Highway (Brodie Oaks Shopping Center), Austin.

Wednesday, September: Texas NORML September Livestream. 8:00 p.m.

Tuesdays (1st, 3rd, 5th): Speaking of Liberty Toastmasters. Currently meeting in person with an online option.

Tuesdays: Austin Bitcoin Meetup. 7:00 p.m. Online events.

------------------------
7. Local media and web

Websites
Libertarian Party of Travis County
Williamson County Libertarian Party
Libertarian Party of Texas
Texas Gold

Facebook
Libertarian Party of Travis County page & group
Williamson County Libertarian Party
Libertarian Party of Hays County
Libertarian Parties of Bastrop, Bexar, Blanco, Caldwell, Comal, Guadalupe Counties.
Libertarian Party of Texas
TexasGold

Discord
LPTexas Discord Server Invitation
LPTravis Discord Channel

Podcasts
Scott Horton interviews
Counterflow -- Buck Johnson

Blogs
Dr. Mary Ruwart
Libertarian translators by J. Henry Phillips

Twitter
Libertarian Party of Texas
TexasGold

Instagram
TexasGold

MeWe
Libertarian Party of Texas
TexasGold

Telegram
TexasGold

Flote
TexasGold

YouTube
Libertarian Party of Texas
TexasGold

Clubhouse
TexasGold

------------------------
8. What is a libertarian?

Some say libertarians are "plotting to take over the world and leave you alone."

Watch this entertaining 10-minute animation on "The Philosophy of Liberty." (English version) (Other languages)

Tomasz Kaye has created four excellent animations, "George ought to help" (4 min.), "Edgar the Exploiter" (7 min.), "You can always leave" (11.5 min.), and “Sex and Taxes” (5 min.).

Here is a 7-minute video, "What is Classical Liberalism?" from Learn Liberty.

Take this short (10 question) online quiz from the Advocates for Self-Government to see if you might have libertarian leanings: “The World’s Smallest Political Quiz.

More information can be found at:
http://www.lp.org/faq
http://www.libertarianism.org
http://www.theadvocates.org

Austin Liberator editor: Bob Ruliffson
bob.ru...@gmail.com

“If a nation values anything more than freedom,
it will lose its freedom; and the irony of it is
that if it is comfort or money that it values more,
it will lose that, too.”

W. Somerset Maugham

The content of this newsletter is selected by the
editor, and may not reflect the official position
of the Libertarian Party of Travis County. Also,
the inclusion of any particular item in this
newsletter does not necessarily mean my
endorsement, but I'm trying to maintain a
relatively big tent here.

Austin Liberator website

Become a monthly pledger to the Libertarian Party of Texas!

Donate to the LPTravis using PayPal. (Use the “sending to a friend” option)
Donate to the LPTC using Piryx..

For more information:
tra...@lptexas.org
LPTra...@gmail.com
Libertarian Party of Texas: 1-800-422-1776