IMPORTANT - LPTRAVIS CONVENTION UPDATE

AustinLiberator

Feb 6, 2024, 12:40:03 PMFeb 6
to AustinLiberator
Hi y'all!

We are inexorably moving into convention and campaign season. Please mark the dates, times and locations below if you wish to be part of the process this cycle.

TRAVIS COUNTY MONTHLY MEETING – FEBRUARY 12

 The Libertarian Party of Travis County’s monthly meeting is coming up soon. Our intended speaker has not confirmed as of press time, so stay tuned for further announcements.

 Regardless, we will certainly welcome Andrew Amelang, Executive Director of the Libertarian Party of Texas, who will tell us about his candidacy for State Chair.

 LPTravis By-Laws Update – The proposed updates to the LPTravis By-Laws have been reviewed by Mr. Dixon & Mr. DiBianca, and circulated via this publication and via the LPTravis Discord channel. Please bring any questions and/or commentary to CEC’s attention during business proceedings. The proposed updates will be on the docket for voting at the County Convention (details below).

 Date: Monday, February 12, 2024

Time: 6:45 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.

Location:

Casa Chapala

9041 Research Blvd.

Austin, TX 78759

(Near 183 & Burnet Road)

CONVENTION SEASON IS COMING UP – MARK Y’ALL’S CALENDARS!

While Democrats and Republicans vote in those parties’ primaries on March 5 for an array of statist candidates, Libertarians will instead nominate our candidates in a series of upcoming conventions. To be eligible for the County Convention, you MUST attend and register in the Precinct Convention.

Be advised: If you want to participate in the Libertarian nominating process, you can’t vote in the major party primaries.

 The dates are set by Texas state law. Here is the order of events:

 Precinct ConventionTuesday, March 12, 2024; 7:00 PM. Individual voters affiliate with the Libertarian Party and sign up to be delegates to the County Convention. This event will be combined with our normal March LPTravis meeting, with a slight shift to TUESDAY, March 12, 2024.

 Date: TUESDAY, March 12, 2024

Time: 7:00 PM

Location:

Casa Chapala

9041 Research Blvd.

Austin, TX 78759

(Near 183 & Burnet Road)

 County Convention Saturday, March 16, 2024; 10:00 AM. Election of county party officers for two-year terms, nominate candidates for public offices wholly within Travis County, elect delegates to the State Convention, and handle party business, specifically the proposed updates to LPTravis ByLaws. Other business may be raised by delegates from the floor.

 Date: Saturday, March 16, 2024

Time: 10:00 AM

Location:

Austin Library – Menchaca Branch

5500 Menchaca Road (at Stassney Lane in South Austin)

Austin, TX 78745

District Convention Saturday, March 23, 2024; 10:00 AM. Nomination of candidates for public offices that extend over several counties. We will likely nominate candidates for Congressional Districts 10 and 35 but such nominations, as well as convention location remains TBD.

 Date: Saturday, March 23, 2024

Time: 10:00 AM

Location: TBD

LPTexas Convention – April 12-14.  Delegates from all over Texas convene to elect state party officers for two-year terms, nominate candidates for statewide office, select delegates to the National Presidential Nominating Convention, and conduct party business, such as changes to the platform & bylaws.

 The Austin Liberator strongly endorses Andrew Amelang for LPTexas Chair.

 The Austin Liberator notes that both Jessi Cowart & John Wilford have announced intention to seek LPTexas Vice Chair, and wishes them both well in their endeavors.

Location:

American Bank Center

1901 N. Shoreline Blvd.

Corpus Christi, TX 78401

 Note: LPTravis Secretary David Roberson has secured a modest condominium 5 minutes north of Convention Center should the LPTravis delegation wish to enjoy Corpus Christi’s beachfront.

LPNational Convention – May 24-27, 2024

 Details to follow