34 years since Tiananmen

AustinLiberator

Jun 4, 2023, 8:55:28 AM6/4/23
to AustinLiberator

Austin Liberator

The newsletter of the Libertarian Party of Travis County (LPTravis)

1. 34 years since Tiananmen

Beginning in April 1989, a protest movement developed in China seeking more political participation, freedom of speech, and less corruption. The protests involved thousands and lasted for weeks. On June 4, the tanks rolled in.

Overseas Hong Kongers carry Tiananmen’s torch as vigils to remember massacre victims are snuffed out back home

CNN, 6/3/2023

Tiananmen Square: What happened in the protests of 1989?

BBC video from 2019

1989 Tiananmen Square protests and massacre

Wikipedia

------------------

2. Libertarian Party of Travis County calendar

LPTravis Monthly Meeting

Monday, June 12

6:45 - 9:00 p.m.

Casa Chapala, 9041 Research Blvd., Austin.

Keep up to date at the LPTravis website, Facebook page, and Facebook group page.

If you are interested in finding a volunteer role with LPTravis (the possibilities are endless), we encourage you to accept this LPTexas Discord Server Invitation. Once you are set up on the Discord application, then join the LPTravis Discord Channel.

------------------

3. Area events of interest

RESCHEDULED: Monday, June 5: Young Austin Libertarians, Independents & Moderates (25-35) Happy Hour @ Lazarus Brewing Co. 7:00 - 10:00 p.m.

Wednesday, June 7: Texas NORML monthly meeting. 7:00 p.m. Online.

Sunday, June 11: Foundations of a Free Society Reading Group. 3:00 p.m. Online meetup by Austin Objectivism.

Tuesday, June 13: City Surveillance, Trust and Public Engagement. 7:00 p.m. Free. For full details, check the link. Organized by EFF-Austin.

Tuesday, June 20: LPBexar Discussion Meeting. 7:00 - 9:00 p.m. Location TBA.

Sunday, June 25: Austin Libertarian Meetup Group. 7:00 p.m. Pok-e-Jo's, 4109 Capital of Texas Highway (Brodie Oaks Shopping Center), Austin.

Tuesday, June 27: Williamson County Libertarian Social. 6:30 p.m. Lupe Tortilla, 240 Bass Pro Dr., Round Rock.

Mondays: League of Independent Voters of Texas online meetings. 7:00 - 8:00 p.m.

Tuesdays (1st, 3rd, 5th): Speaking of Liberty Toastmasters. Currently meeting in person with an online option.

Tuesdays: Austin Bitcoin Meetup. 7:00 p.m. Online events.

Tuesdays: Austin Bitcoin Club meets for breakfast or dinner at The Meteor on S. Congress. See website for details.

Tuesdays: Live Outreach Meeting for Ranked Choice Voting for Texas. Online.

------------------------

4. Local media and web

Websites

Libertarian Party of Travis County

Williamson County Libertarian Party

Libertarian Party of Hays County

Libertarian Party of Texas

Texas Gold

Facebook

Libertarian Party of Travis County page & group

Williamson County Libertarian Party

Libertarian Party of Hays County

Libertarian Parties of Bastrop, Bexar, Blanco, Caldwell, Comal, Guadalupe Counties.

Libertarian Party of Texas

TexasGold

Discord

LPTexas Discord Server Invitation

LPTravis Discord Channel

Podcasts

Fountainhead Forum – Chris Baker

Los Libertinos Podcast – Carlos Abelar

Scott Horton interviews

Counterflow -- Buck Johnson

Blogs

Dr. Mary Ruwart

Libertarian translators by J. Henry Phillips

Twitter

Libertarian Party of Texas

TexasGold

Instagram

TexasGold

MeWe

Libertarian Party of Texas

TexasGold

Telegram

TexasGold

Flote

TexasGold

YouTube

Libertarian Party of Texas

TexasGold

Clubhouse

TexasGold

------------------------

5. What is a libertarian?

Some say libertarians are "plotting to take over the world and leave you alone."

Watch this entertaining 10-minute animation on "The Philosophy of Liberty." (English version)

(Other languages)

Tomasz Kaye has created four excellent animations, "George ought to help" (4 min.), "Edgar the Exploiter" (7 min.), "You can always leave" (11.5 min.), and “Sex and Taxes” (5 min.)

Here is a 7-minute video, "What is Classical Liberalism?" from Learn Liberty.

Take this short (10 question) online quiz from the Advocates for Self-Government to see if you might have libertarian leanings: “The World’s Smallest Political Quiz.

More information can be found at:

http://www.lp.org/faq

http://www.libertarianism.org

http://www.theadvocates.org

Austin Liberator editor: Bob Ruliffson

bob.ru...@gmail.com

“If we personally steal from [our neighbor],

we create havoc in our neighborhood.

Nevertheless, we believe we can avoid this

outcome if the government enforcement

agents, acting on our behalf, perform the

identical action.  We believe the act of

stealing is ennobled if the authority of the

majority deems it to be for ‘the common good.’

…The consequences of aggression are the

same, whether perpetrated by an individual

or a group.  When groups of neighbors ask

their government to steal from other groups

of neighbors, we take turns being majorities

and minorities, victims and aggressors.”

Dr. Mary Ruwart

The content of this newsletter is selected by the

editor, and may not reflect the official position

of the Libertarian Party of Travis County. Also,

the inclusion of any particular item in this

newsletter does not necessarily mean my

endorsement, but I'm trying to maintain a

relatively big tent here.

Austin Liberator website

Become a monthly pledger to the Libertarian Party of Texas!

Donate to the LPTravis using PayPal. (Use the “sending to a friend” option)

Donate to the LPTravis using Piryx..

For more information:

tra...@lptexas.org

LPTra...@gmail.com

Libertarian Party of Texas: 1-800-422-1776

National Libertarian Party: 1-800-ELECT US