Learn about the Institute for Justice, tomorrow, July 11

AustinLiberator

Jul 10, 2022, 8:10:17 AM7/10/22
to AustinLiberator
Austin Liberator
The newsletter of the Libertarian Party of Travis County (LPTravis)

1. Learn about the Institute for Justice, tomorrow, July 11

LPTravis Monthly Meeting and Happy Hour
Monday, July 11
6:45 - 9:00 p.m.
Casa Chapala
9041 Research Blvd., Austin.

Visitors are welcome.

This month we’ll host attorney Arif Panju of the Institute for Justice. The Institute for Justice (IJ) is “a nonprofit, public interest law firm. Our mission is to end widespread abuses of government power and secure the constitutional rights that allow all Americans to pursue their dreams.”

Arif Panju is the Managing Attorney for IJ’s Texas office based in Austin. He “litigates cases involving free speech, property rights, economic liberty, and educational choice.”

Note: David Roberson and Judith Ruder invite LPTravis members to stay after the meeting to discuss the formation of a bylaws review discussion group.

Keep up to date at our website, Facebook page, and Facebook group page.

If you are interested in finding a volunteer role with LPTravis (the possibilities are endless), we encourage you to accept this LPTexas Discord Server Invitation. Once you are set up on the Discord application, then join the LPTravis Discord Channel.

-----------------
2. Help the LPTexas Legal Defense Fund

Remember the infamous words of State Rep. Dustin Burrows (R): “The 2020 failure to knock Libertarians off the ballot was a dereliction of duty.”

From LPTexas:

“$320,825.00…That is the total dollar amount that Libertarian candidates in Texas would have paid in filing fees to run for office in 2020 and 2022 in compliance with the law. Legislation passed by the State of Texas in 2020 requires our candidates to pay filing fees to appear on the general election ballot. LPTexas opposes these unconstitutional laws and we are currently fighting them in court. With your help, we will successfully beat the State and end this voter suppression…”

Continue reading and donate here.

-----------------
3. Texas NORML resumes annual Puff ‘n’ Putt Veteran Golf Benefit, September 17

From Texas NORML:

“Texas NORML is proud to announce our Annual Puff ‘n Putt Veteran Golf Benefit on Saturday, September 17th, 2022. Come and enjoy a day of golf, live music, vendors, food and a great day at the legendary Willie Nelson’s Cut-N-Putt Golf Course located in Spicewood, Texas. This family-friendly event is a benefit to raise funds for Texas NORML’s mission to gain safe access to cannabis for adults with a focus on supporting Texas Veteran’s and patient’s fight to re-­legalize cannabis. To be a sponsor for our event, check out our Veteran Benefit Sponsor Packet. Check out this video to learn more about what to expect out of Puff N’ Putts! (Interested in volunteering? Information coming soon.)”

https://www.texasnorml.org/2022-puff-n-putt/

-----------------
4. Libertarian candidates news

Nolan Schmidt, Libertarian for Guadalupe County Judge, wrote a summary of last weekend’s LPTexas’ State Libertarian Executive Committee meeting. The text is here; it was also published in the Seguin Gazette.

Mark Tippetts, Libertarian for Governor, has a list of events coming up in July, including meeting with high school government teachers, visiting the Texas Heat Wave custom car and truck show, and appearing on the Liberty or NOTA podcast.

Kenneth Welch, Libertarian for Blanco County Commissioner (Pct 4), posts regularly on his Facebook page: Comparison of property tax rates in nearby counties; long-term debt in the county; and his key initiatives after election.

------------------
5. Area events of interest

Wednesday, July 13: The Dancer and the Devil: Stalin, Pavlova, and the Road to the Great Pandemic with authors John O’Neill and Sarah Wynne. 11:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m. Free with registration; complimentary lunch for in-person attendees at Texas Public Policy Foundation, 901 Congress, Austin. Online options available.

Thursday, July 14: Discussion on topics impacting our state’s child welfare system with Jamie Masters, Commissioner of the Department of Family and Protective Services. 11:30 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. Free with registration; complimentary lunch for in-person attendees at Texas Public Policy Foundation, 901 Congress, Austin. Online options available.

Saturday, July 16: LPBlanco booth at Blanco Market Days. 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. 300 Main St., Blanco.

Sunday, July 17: "Foundations of a Free Society" Reading Group. 3:00 - 4:30 p.m. Online meetup by Austin Objectivism.

Monday, July 18: Forging an Alliance for Educational Freedom. 12:30 - 1:00 p.m. Livestream from the Texas Public Policy Foundation.

Tuesday, July 19: Libertarian Party of Bexar County Discussion Meeting. 7:00 - 9:00 p.m. Chuy’s, 15639 I-10, San Antonio.

Sunday, July 24: Austin Libertarian Meetup Group. 7:00 p.m. Pok-e-Jo's, 4109 Capital of Texas Highway (Brodie Oaks Shopping Center), Austin.

Tuesday, July 26: Williamson County Libertarian Social. 6:30 p.m. Location TBA.

Wednesday, August 3: Texas NORML August Livestream. 8:00 p.m.

Tuesdays (1st, 3rd, 5th): Speaking of Liberty Toastmasters. Currently meeting in person with an online option.

Tuesdays: Austin Bitcoin Meetup. 7:00 p.m. Online events.

------------------------
6. Local media and web

Websites
Libertarian Party of Travis County
Williamson County Libertarian Party
Libertarian Party of Texas
Texas Gold

Facebook
Libertarian Party of Travis County page & group
Williamson County Libertarian Party
Libertarian Party of Hays County
Libertarian Parties of Bastrop, Bexar, Blanco, Caldwell, Comal, Guadalupe Counties.
Libertarian Party of Texas
TexasGold

Discord
LPTexas Discord Server Invitation
LPTravis Discord Channel

Podcasts
Scott Horton interviews
Counterflow -- Buck Johnson

Blogs
Dr. Mary Ruwart
Libertarian translators by J. Henry Phillips

Twitter
Libertarian Party of Texas
TexasGold

Instagram
TexasGold

MeWe
Libertarian Party of Texas
TexasGold

Telegram
TexasGold

Flote
TexasGold

YouTube
Libertarian Party of Texas
TexasGold

Clubhouse
TexasGold

------------------------
7. What is a libertarian?

Some say libertarians are "plotting to take over the world and leave you alone."

David Boaz of the Cato Institute has described libertarianism this way: "Don't hit other people. Don't take their stuff. Keep your promises."

In this 20-minute video, Mr. Boaz speaks on "Introduction to Libertarian Thought."

"The Libertarian Mind" is the subject of this 13.5-minute video from 2015 featuring several Cato scholars.

Take this short (10 question) online quiz from the Advocates for Self-Government to see if you might have libertarian leanings: “The World’s Smallest Political Quiz.

More information can be found at:
http://www.lp.org/faq
http://www.libertarianism.org
http://www.theadvocates.org

Austin Liberator editor: Bob Ruliffson
bob.ru...@gmail.com

“America needs fewer laws, not more prisons.”

James Bovard

The content of this newsletter is selected by the
editor, and may not reflect the official position
of the Libertarian Party of Travis County. Also,
the inclusion of any particular item in this
newsletter does not necessarily mean my
endorsement, but I'm trying to maintain a
relatively big tent here.

Austin Liberator website

Become a monthly pledger to the Libertarian Party of Texas!

Donate to the LPTravis using PayPal. (Use the “sending to a friend” option)
Donate to the LPTC using Piryx..

For more information:
tra...@lptexas.org
LPTra...@gmail.com
Libertarian Party of Texas: 1-800-422-1776