Poll Tax Protest tomorrow, December 13

AustinLiberator

Dec 12, 2021, 2:29:04 PM12/12/21
to AustinLiberator
Austin Liberator
The newsletter of the Libertarian Party of Travis County (LPTC)

1. Poll Tax Protest tomorrow, December 13

Kevin Hale, a Libertarian from the Dallas area, has organized the following event.

Poll Tax Protest
Monday, December 13, 2021
Noon
Texas Secretary of State
1019 Brazos Street, Austin.

Candidate filing fees are due by 6PM to the Secretary of State (SOS) this Monday the 13th. Meanwhile, the Libertarian Party of Texas filed suit for Declaratory & Injunctive Action on December 1, 2021 on the basis that those fees described in the Texas Election Code Section 181.0311 are unconstitutional.

However, resolution is not expected by the filing deadline.

Candidates and all concerned people of any 3rd party and Independents are protesting in front of the SOS office, across the street from the Texas State Capitol, beginning at 12 noon, whether or not they're paying the fee or taking the risk in not paying it.

ALL those concerned of any or no party (NOT just candidates) are encouraged to come participate in protesting for voting & political freedom!

A press release from the Libertarian Party of Texas, December 9:

“The Libertarian Party of Texas is challenging the constitutionality of provisions in Texas Election Code that infringe on their right to free speech, free association, and equal protection.

On December 1st, 2021, The Libertarian Party of Texas (LPTexas), along with several individual plaintiffs, represented by Gordon, Arata, Montgomery, Barnett, McCollam, Duplantis & Eagan, LLC filed suit against the Texas Secretary of State, John B. Scott and Texas Deputy Secretary of State Jose A. Esparaza.

“The complaint asserts that Section 181.0311 of the Texas Election Code requiring Third Party candidates to pay a fee, or submit a petition in lieu thereof, in order to be considered for nomination is unconstitutional and infringes on the rights to free speech, free association, and equal protection…”

Continue at:
https://www.facebook.com/LPTexas/posts/440255367668729

------------------
2. Golden Gala, January 21-23

[From TexasGold.]

Texas liberty turns 50

Celebrate the milestone anniversary on and around the birthday of the affiliation by Texas to the Libertarian Party, which reached a half-century this year.

Of course Texans were among the first to jump on board the freedom train. So stay tuned and save these dates for our multi-event celebration: January 21-23, 2022.

From Ballotpedia:

“The Libertarian Party of Texas was founded on January 21, 1972, and is the state's third-largest political party…”

------------------
3. Benedict, Dixon, Patterson file to run in 2022

Wes Benedict, LPTC member, writes, “Paid my $1,250 filing fee to run for Williamson County Judge! I'd appreciate your support. https://www.wesbenedict.com/

Pat Dixon, LPTC member, writes, “I am filing again for Texas Senate district 14. The incumbent is Sarah Eckhardt. If you would like to contribute to the filing fee ($1,250), visit http://logic14.org/donate Thank you for your support.”

Clark Patterson, LPTC member, will file for U.S. Congress, District 37. He will attempt to file without paying the fee.

------------------
4. Tippetts comments on the new Samsung plant in Taylor

Mark Tippetts of Travis County is seeking the Libertarian Party nomination for governor in 2022.

On December 5th, he wrote:

“Samsung recently announced that the City of Taylor in Williamson County, Texas will be the site for its new $17 billion semiconductor chip manufacturing facility.

“I welcome the new manufacturing jobs, new residents, and supporting businesses Samsung will bring to Texas. However, I'm against the hundreds of millions in subsidies in the form of tax incentives and corporate welfare provided by federal, state, and local governments…”

Continue at:
https://www.facebook.com/mark4gov/posts/317681203509503

See also:
https://www.marktippetts.com/

------------------
5. Fazio named Policy Director for YAL

Austinite Heather Fazio was a former Membership Coordinator for the Libertarian Party of Texas. More recently, she has been the Director for Texans for a Responsible Marijuana Policy.

She writes (December 1):

“I'm so excited to share that this time next month I'll be starting a new job. I will be serving as Policy Director for Young Americans for Liberty*, an outstanding organization working to mobilize young people and elect lawmakers who support limited government, individual Liberty, and personal responsibility. My role will be to work with those lawmakers to PASS legislation.

“Another big part of the job is training students, recruiting political candidates, and nurturing relationships with lawmakers so they are encouraged to advance Liberty legislation.

“I am so grateful for this opportunity to continue doing meaningful work I'm passionate about.

"Onward...Toward Liberty!”

*HQ in Austin

Thursday, December 16: Bastrop County Libertarian Party meetup. 6:00 p.m. Southside BBQ, Bastrop.

Friday, December 17: Caldwell County Libertarian Party first meetup. 6:00 p.m. Loop and Lil’s Pizza, 107 N. Main St., Lockhart.

Saturday, December 18: Libertarian Party of Bexar County Social Event. 1:00 - 6:00 p.m. Food provided, so please RSVP.

Sunday, December 26: Austin Libertarian Meetup Group. 7:00 p.m. Pok-e-Jo's, 4109 Capital of Texas Highway (Brodie Oaks Shopping Center), Austin.

Saturday, January 1: Libertarian Party of Hays County Monthly Meeting. 2:00 - 3:00 p.m. Texas Bean and Brew House, 1328 N. IH-35, San Marcos.

Wednesday, January 5: Texas NORML monthly meeting. 8:00 p.m. Online event.

Wednesday - Friday, January 19 - 21: Policy Orientation 2022. AT&T Executive Conference Center, 1900 University Ave., Austin. Online option available. Sponsored by the Texas Public Policy Foundation.

Tuesday, January 25: Williamson County Libertarian Social. 6:30 p.m. Lupe Tortilla, 240 Bass Pro Dr., Round Rock.

Tuesdays (1st, 3rd, 5th): Speaking of Liberty Toastmasters. Currently meeting in person with an online option.

Tuesdays: Austin Bitcoin Meetup. 7:00 p.m. Online events.

------------------------
7. Local media and web

Websites
Libertarian Party of Travis County
Williamson County Libertarian Party
Libertarian Party of Texas
Texas Gold

Facebook
Libertarian Party of Travis County page & group
Williamson County Libertarian Party
Libertarian Party of Hays County
Libertarian Party of Texas
TexasGold

Discord
LPTexas Discord Server Invitation
LPTravis Discord Channel

Podcasts
Counterflow -- Buck Johnson
Scott Horton interviews

Blogs
Libertarian translators by J. Henry Phillips

Twitter
Libertarian Party of Texas
TexasGold

Instagram
TexasGold

MeWe
Libertarian Party of Texas
TexasGold

Telegram
TexasGold

Flote
TexasGold

YouTube
Libertarian Party of Texas
TexasGold

Clubhouse
TexasGold

------------------------
8. What is a libertarian?

Some say libertarians are "plotting to take over the world and leave you alone."

This 2-minute video from Learn Liberty tells "Free Will and Human Dignity: A Love Story."

"The Conversation" is a 13-minute dramatization from the Foundation for Harmony and Prosperity.

Read this short commentary from Leonard E. Read (written in 1955): "In an ideal America."

Dr. Tom Palmer explains the libertarian principle in chapter 1 (pp. 3-12) of the 2013 book, "Why Liberty."

Take this short (10 question) online quiz from the Advocates for Self-Government to see if you might have libertarian leanings: “The World’s Smallest Political Quiz.

More information can be found at:
http://www.lp.org/faq
http://www.libertarianism.org
http://www.theadvocates.org

Austin Liberator editor: Bob Ruliffson
bob.ru...@gmail.com

“The human race divides politically into those
who want people to be controlled and those
who have no such desire.”

Robert A. Heinlein

The content of this newsletter is selected by the
editor, and may not reflect the official position
of the Libertarian Party of Travis County. Also,
the inclusion of any particular item in this
newsletter does not necessarily mean my
endorsement, but I'm trying to maintain a
relatively big tent here.

Austin Liberator website

Become a monthly pledger to the Libertarian Party of Texas!

Donate to the LPTC using PayPal. (Use the “sending to a friend” option)
Donate to the LPTC using Piryx..

For more information:
Libertarian Party of Travis County: (512) 694-5984
Libertarian Party of Texas: 1-800-422-1776