In case you have not been following the "battery capacity loss" thing...

Andy Nguyen

Jul 19, 2012, 9:54:28 AM7/19/12
to austi...@googlegroups.com
  Phoenix's KPHO's story:
  http://www.kpho.com/story/19050732/2012/07/18/nissan-leaf-owners-claim-az-desert-heat-saps-batteries

  The main mynissanleaf.com thread:

  The recap of battery capacity losses so far:

  Note the seven reports of capacity losses in Texas.

--
Andy Nguyen \ aqnaqn at gmail dot com

Peter Joseph

Jul 21, 2012, 4:29:50 PM7/21/12
to austi...@googlegroups.com
Reports from Arizona on battery degradation are quite alarming.   Folks out there have lost up to 3 capacity bars.    Nissan is beginning tests next week.

My rule of thumb is to not charge if the battery temperature gauge (left side of dash) shows more than 6 bars (battery temperature higher than 98 degrees, iirc).    This usually happens on hot summer days between 2 and 8 pm.  Another rule i follow is to not leave the car at high SOC during these hours (20 to 70% seems an acceptable range).

Babying the battery this way is painful.   But we are awaiting Nissan's contingency plans.

Best to everyone,
Peter
(14,050 miles in 10 months)