Open letter to Leaf owners, re: battery capacity loss

Kathy Sokolic

Jul 24, 2012, 3:42:11 PM7/24/12
to austi...@googlegroups.com
This was just posted by a Leaf owner on the forum, addressing the battery capacity loss.

Interesting.

My capacity seems to be going up and down...but I haven't tracked it well enough to know what may be causing the changes...?

Kathy

Michael Chamberlain

Jul 24, 2012, 9:19:06 PM7/24/12
to austi...@googlegroups.com
I feel for these guys.  My guess is that it's a software issue that's misrepresenting the pack.  Or maybe that's my hope.  Either way it's too early to tell.

A few weeks ago I was consistently getting 9 bars on an 80% charge.  But now it's back up to 10 bars for 80%.  The weather has been cooler, maybe that was it.

Michael

Andy Nguyen

Jul 27, 2012, 11:46:54 AM7/27/12
to austi...@googlegroups.com
Many people on there think that letter is not saying anything new; some are somewhat
mollified in that at least the letter is an official acknowledgement from Nissan
that there is _something_ going on with the battery, if not an actual problem.

--
Andy

Andy Nguyen

Jul 27, 2012, 11:54:23 AM7/27/12
to austi...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 8:19 PM, Michael Chamberlain <mcha...@gmail.com> wrote:
I feel for these guys.  My guess is that it's a software issue that's misrepresenting the pack.  Or maybe that's my hope.  Either way it's too early to tell.

I'm hoping that it's a combination of temperature (which explains why most
of these incidences are in AZ and TX) and software/hardware miscalibration...
But you're right, there are many unknowns at this point.

A few weeks ago I was consistently getting 9 bars on an 80% charge.  But now it's back up to 10 bars for 80%.  The weather has been cooler, maybe that was it.

I got 9 bars about 50% of the time in the past 15 charge-to-80% events.

There is a recent discussion in the forums about that:

--
Andy Nguyen \ aqnaqn at gmail dot com