Aftermarket LEAF charger upgrade?

Don Shin

Mar 9, 2014, 4:59:36 PM3/9/14
to austi...@googlegroups.com
Hey Folks,

Like a lot of others, the battery degradation of the LEAF has been a huge bummer for me; we've lost 2 bars of capacity, and my wife and I recently went to Southwest Austin (from our home in Northeast), and we barely got back - even with a 100% charge. A 6.6kW charger would be a huge improvement for us given Austin's great L2 charger network. I've read that a few LEAF enthusiasts on the West and East coast have upgraded their chargers to 6.6kW (or even more) through the use of additional Brusa chargers; has anyone in the Austin area tried this upgrade? I personally don't have any high voltage experience, but I would strongly consider paying money to buy the necessary components and have this upgrade applied to my LEAF...

Thanks,
Don

Willie

Mar 9, 2014, 5:55:05 PM3/9/14
to austi...@googlegroups.com, Steve Clunn
On 03/09/2014 03:59 PM, Don Shin wrote:
> Hey Folks,
>
> Like a lot of others, the battery degradation of the LEAF has been a huge bummer for me; we've lost 2 bars of capacity, and my wife and I recently went to Southwest Austin (from our home in Northeast), and we barely got back - even with a 100% charge. A 6.6kW charger would be a huge improvement for us given Austin's great L2 charger network. I've read that a few LEAF enthusiasts on the West and East coast have upgraded their chargers to 6.6kW (or even more) through the use of additional Brusa chargers; has anyone in the Austin area tried this upgrade? I personally don't have any high voltage experience, but I would strongly consider paying money to buy the necessary components and have this upgrade applied to my LEAF...

Steve Clunn, from Florida comes by here once or twice a year to fix my
EVs. He is a conversion guy with a lot of experience. Especially if
someone has already blazed the trail, I'm sure he could fix you up with
a higher capacity charger.
http://greenshedconversions.com/
He is due back here in a few weeks; he is working in Oklahoma right now
and also has some work to do in Bryan.

I have one of these:
http://www.emotorwerks.com/products/online-store/product/show/10-smartcharge-12000-a-12kw-universal-voltage-ev-charger-fully-assembled-tested
which works well and probably should be considered for a Leaf upgrade.
Charge power is adjustable like the Tesla.

Of course the REAL solution is to get Nissan to fix your battery.