ATTN: Washington Mutual Customers

Doug Masters

Jun 23, 2001, 4:06:01 PM6/23/01
Sorry for the SPAM, but I thought I'd share this with you. Maybe you care,
maybe you don't, but I think you should know.

This info is also located at www.wamu-sucks.com and www.wamu-sucks.net

June 23, 2001
I was a happy Bank United customer, but my problems began when Washington
Mutual merged with Bank United. This merger was completed about three
weeks ago, and I truly wish it had never happened. I will start by saying
that my problem began partly due to my error, I admit that, but it is how
Washington Mutual has dealt with the problem that has me so pissed off to go
to these lengths to tell my story.

I use the online Bill Pay system to pay my bills, it's very handy. Due
partially to my error, I had a scheduled payment get rejected due to
insufficient funds. I say partially because the charge was for $98.71, and
the WAMU system said I had $101.xx in my account. Their system wasn't
displaying a $14.xx pending Check Card transaction. That morning was also
pay day for me, I deposited over $1700.00 that morning. What follows is
the part that has me angry and fed-up with banks and their bullshit.

With WAMU's online Bill Pay system, if a payment gets rejected, they lock
you out of the Bill Pay system completely. They do not process other
pending payments, regardless of your balance. Got your car payment due &
scheduled?? Tough. Got a credit card payment due & scheduled??? Tough.
Do they automatically try to run the rejected charge again, like OTHER banks
do when this happens?? No. Eventually you call to find out why you
cannot access the Bill Pay system, and they tell you. YOU HAVE TO ASK TO
HAVE THE CHARGE RESUBMITTED FOR PAYMENT!!! Once that is done, and it
clears in about two or three days, it will take another five days before
your Bill Pay will unlock, UNLESS you call and request it be done faster,
even then it takes two days. I have used lots of banks in my day, but I've
never seen one that locks you out of access to YOUR money.

Remove the electronic nature of this, and it boils down real simple. you
bounce a check, they temporarily close your account. Do you know any
other bank that does this? I don't.

WAMU can kiss my white shiny ass, there are several other banks that offer
free checking, and I'm going. I'll give Compass a try since they have at
least three locations that are VERY convenient to where I spend my time. If
they piss me off too, keep your eyes peeled for www.compass-sucks.com!!!!

Adam Weiss

Jun 23, 2001, 4:54:59 PM6/23/01
Doug Masters wrote:

> Sorry for the SPAM, but I thought I'd share this with you. Maybe you care,
> maybe you don't, but I think you should know.

<<snipped>>

I don't see this post as spam. I've been with Washington Mutual ever
since they absorbed Savings of America. I've had no problems with them
so far, but then again I don't use their online banking. If it's not
online services or computer software that I downloaded online I use old
fashioned checks and cash. Strange for me, given how much I use the
computer for everything else in my life.

According to a coworker of mine, Bank of America is worse. Their online
banking system is systematically down and they charge up the wazoo for
checking there.

--

Adam Weiss
w...@whazo.com

--

"It's all fun and games until someone pokes an eye out, or until you see
the blue lights in the mirror"

Jordan Mills

Jun 23, 2001, 6:04:11 PM6/23/01
That is not spam. It directly involves people in houston (and Austin, I
suppose), and is not an attempt to make money. I consider this post
welcome.
-- Jordan

"Doug Masters" <dougR...@THISdougmasters.com> wrote in message

Larry Kessler

Jun 23, 2001, 7:53:00 PM6/23/01
On Sat, 23 Jun 2001 20:06:01 GMT, "Doug Masters"
<dougR...@THISdougmasters.com> wrote:

>Sorry for the SPAM, but I thought I'd share this with you. Maybe you care,
>maybe you don't, but I think you should know.
>
>This info is also located at www.wamu-sucks.com and www.wamu-sucks.net
>
>June 23, 2001
>I was a happy Bank United customer, but my problems began when Washington
>Mutual merged with Bank United. This merger was completed about three
>weeks ago, and I truly wish it had never happened. I will start by saying
>that my problem began partly due to my error, I admit that, but it is how
>Washington Mutual has dealt with the problem that has me so pissed off to go
>to these lengths to tell my story.
>
>I use the online Bill Pay system to pay my bills, it's very handy. Due
>partially to my error, I had a scheduled payment get rejected due to
>insufficient funds. I say partially because the charge was for $98.71, and
>the WAMU system said I had $101.xx in my account. Their system wasn't
>displaying a $14.xx pending Check Card transaction. That morning was also
>pay day for me, I deposited over $1700.00 that morning.

It WAS partly your fault, for running so close to the edge.

>I have used lots of banks in my day, but I've
>never seen one that locks you out of access to YOUR money.

Nononono, you don't understand. As banks see it, it's all THEIR
money. If you pay them enough, they let you use it for a while, but
it comes back to them sooner or later.

>Remove the electronic nature of this, and it boils down real simple. you
>bounce a check, they temporarily close your account. Do you know any
>other bank that does this? I don't.

No, and it sucks rocks. Time to find a new bank. I just got an offer
from Southwest Bank of Texas for free checking, and they're offering a
free Igloo cooler & jug combo as a gift when you open the account.

And contrary to what Adam Weiss posted, Bank of America has been
pretty good for us too.

--
"Anyone who thinks Microsoft never does anything truly innovative
isn't paying attention to the part of the company that pushes the

Larry Kessler

Jun 23, 2001, 7:53:43 PM6/23/01
On Sat, 23 Jun 2001 15:54:59 -0500, Adam Weiss <aw...@pdq.net> wrote:

>According to a coworker of mine, Bank of America is worse. Their online
>banking system is systematically down and they charge up the wazoo for
>checking there.

This hasn't been my experience with them at all, and I've been an
accountholder there since it was University Savings in the early
1980s.

JTK

Jun 28, 2001, 4:29:12 AM6/28/01
To: The Wamu can kiss my shiny white ass guy!!
If it's not too late DO NOT OPEN AN ACCOUNT WITH COMPASS BANK!!
Believe me, I once worked for Compass, and while their free checking
sounds good, it's not. I opened new accounts day after day & couldn't
begin to tell you the horror stories that I would see & hear at that
bank. Most of it was due to the people in operations. (if not to my
surprise were hired off the street) Constantly, customers deposits
would "go missing" and not post to their accounts. Any type of simple
transaction you may do at this bank could lead to a fiasco!! Online
Banking HA!! That was a joke. The system was never up and the
majority of the time it reflected account info that was most current
as of two weeks ago.
My supposed job position at Compass was in "Financial Sales". That was
a joke, all I did day in, day out was deal with MAD AS HELL customers,
(whom I don't blame) researching where there deposits and checking
accounts disappeared to. By the way I also have my accounts with
Banku (since '94)what is now WAMU and kept them their, just because I
refused to open any such account with Compass. ( I don't use bill Pay,
so I can't say anything negative about WAMU as of yet)
So, If it's too late, and you've opened an account with Compass,
then I would stronglry advise you to close it ASAP!!!
JTK