Let's do something about Travid

6 views
Skip to first unread message

Tracey Levin

unread,
May 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/11/98
to

Matt wrote:
>
> I'm so tired of Tracey's continued off-topic postings to these
> newsgroups.

Matt, *.general groups are open to general topics of discussion.
Matt, are you gay?

--
Checkout these sites:

http://www.junkscience.com

http://www.reagan.com

http://www.hamblin.com

http://www.instanet.com/~vct/index.html

Joe D

unread,
May 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/11/98
to

In austin.general Matt <ma...@mail.utexas.edu> wrote:
> I'm so tired of Tracey's continued off-topic postings to these
> newsgroups. I sent an email to ab...@swbell.net complaining about
> her.. Maybe if we band together, we can make her go away. Those of us
> interested in what she has to say (or in debating her) should be able
> to find her in talk.politics.misc.

This is a very bad idea, for several reasons. But the best of all is that,
idiot though he may be, he has the right to be an idiot in this public
forum.

I sympathize. I really do. We used to have a nice little community here on
austin.general (I don't know about the other groups), but thanks to David's
crossposted trolls, it's been pretty much wrecked.

The single best way to deal with him is to -ignore- him. Do -not- follow
up, no matter how tempted you may be. You will -not- suddenly convert him
to your point of view. If he stopped getting responses, he would go away.

Why do you think he keeps hanging around austin.general specifically, as
opposed to the other *.general groups? Because the people here pay
attention to him, which is all he's after.

Joe D
--
What is your first wish?

Clay

unread,
May 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/11/98
to

On Mon, 11 May 1998 06:59:37 GMT, ma...@mail.utexas.edu (Matt) wrote:

>I'm so tired of Tracey's continued off-topic postings to these
>newsgroups. I sent an email to ab...@swbell.net complaining about
>her.. Maybe if we band together, we can make her go away. Those of us
>interested in what she has to say (or in debating her) should be able
>to find her in talk.politics.misc.

I'll say again, I think this is childish. First of all it is very
unlikely that swbell will do anything. Second, Tracey was the reason
kill files are an essentail feature. Use them.
_______________________________
Clay Niemann
www.dillonet.com
Remove NO_JUNK to reply by E-Mail

Clayton Colwell

unread,
May 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/11/98
to

Joe D (jo...@jump.net) wrote:

: In austin.general Matt <ma...@mail.utexas.edu> wrote:
: > I'm so tired of Tracey's continued off-topic postings to these
: > newsgroups. I sent an email to ab...@swbell.net complaining about
: > her.. Maybe if we band together, we can make her go away. Those of us
: > interested in what she has to say (or in debating her) should be able
: > to find her in talk.politics.misc.

: This is a very bad idea, for several reasons. But the best of all is that,


: idiot though he may be, he has the right to be an idiot in this public
: forum.

: I sympathize. I really do. We used to have a nice little community here on
: austin.general (I don't know about the other groups), but thanks to David's
: crossposted trolls, it's been pretty much wrecked.

Oh, I wouldn't go that far. It is true, however, that specifically
Austin-related threads are rarer than they used to be, and harder
to wade through to find. And I must confess that I haven't been
that helpful in keeping my posts well-connected and related to
Austin (unless my living here counts :-).

I still see plenty of Austinites here. The fact that NNOs can
still survive indicates that the a.g coulture is not lost
(hey, Lyn, kitten, et al.! How was Brave Combo?).

: The single best way to deal with him is to -ignore- him. Do -not- follow


: up, no matter how tempted you may be. You will -not- suddenly convert him
: to your point of view. If he stopped getting responses, he would go away.

This is true. However, the style of Travid's respondents pretty
much indicate that they don't expect to change Travid's mind.
They include enough information to debunk Its illogic and usually
add a burst from a flamethrower to vent frustration.

: Why do you think he keeps hanging around austin.general specifically, as


: opposed to the other *.general groups? Because the people here pay
: attention to him, which is all he's after.

I'm doing my part to at least minimize the crossposting: whenever
I respond, I try to limit the Newsgroups: line to austin.general
(where I catch them) and houston.general (where Travid hails from).

****** Clay Colwell (aka StealthSmurf) ********** er...@bga.com ******
* "In the future, we will recognize software crashes as technologically *
* mandated ergonomic rest breaks - and we will pay extra for them." *
* -- Crazy Uncle Joe Hannibal *

Clayton Colwell

unread,
May 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/11/98
to

Tracey Levin (trac...@swbell.net) wrote:

: Matt wrote:
: >
: > I'm so tired of Tracey's continued off-topic postings to these
: > newsgroups.

: Matt, *.general groups are open to general topics of discussion.

This is true to some extent. The fact that a "*" precedes the
".general" serves as a clue to most that the "general topics of
discussion" *should* relate to the city substituted for the "*".

: Matt, are you gay?

This is a specific request. If you're looking for dates,
Travid, keep it in e-mail.

Jeffrey E. Salzberg

unread,
May 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/11/98
to

In article <35580d63...@news3.bga.com>,
clayn@NO_JUNKbga.com wrote:

> First of all it is very
> unlikely that swbell will do anything.

Not necessarily; the reason David (ooops..."Tracey" <snicker>) hates Flash Net
so much is because they pulled his access for violating their AUP.


> Second, Tracey was the reason
> kill files are an essentail feature. Use them.

I agree. I don't think anyone's speech should be stifled, especially someone
who advances the cause of liberalism as much as David does.

-----== Posted via Deja News, The Leader in Internet Discussion ==-----
http://www.dejanews.com/ Now offering spam-free web-based newsreading

Joe D

unread,
May 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/11/98
to

Clayton Colwell <er...@bga.com> wrote:
> I'm doing my part to at least minimize the crossposting: whenever
> I respond, I try to limit the Newsgroups: line to austin.general
> (where I catch them) and houston.general (where Travid hails from).

And don't forget to set the followups to alt.david.is.an.idiot, carried by
finer news servers everywhere.

Joe D
--
Do you want to be a journalist, or just sound like one?

Charlie

unread,
May 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/11/98
to
Matt
 
Mind telling me what topics are acceptable here?  And, is it your habit of stepping of the Constitutional Freedoms that we are all supposed to enjoy?  It's not Tracey that worries me, it's idiots like you that are dangerous!!  I will be sending a complaint against you in as well, for conspiring to deny another participant's First Amendment Rights!! 
Matt wrote in message <35619ffb...@newshost.cc.utexas.edu>...
I'm so tired of Tracey's continued off-topic postings to these
newsgroups. I sent an email to ab...@swbell.net complaining about
her.. Maybe if we band together, we can make her go away. Those of us
interested in what she has to say (or in debating her) should be able
to find her in talk.politics.misc.

Of course, I don't know if tinybrain-Tracey is ready for the big boys
in talk.politics.*, but I'd like to see her out of here..

Feel free to cut and paste this, but I wager we will be more effective
if we each come up with our own email.


-------
To: ab...@swbell.net
Subject: trac...@swbell.net

One of your users is posting off-topic messages to the following
newsgroups: austin.general, dfw.general, houston.general,
utexas.general, tamu.general. As you know, USENET operates on a
hierarchy - meaning in the name of the group, the former term[s]
encompasses the latter term[s]. For example, utexas.general is for
general discussion about The University of Texas. *Not* a general
discussion group about anything.

She/He is not posting commerical messages, as far as I can tell.

Her/His (her identity is under question - she used to go by "David")
postings would be on-topic in: talk.politics.misc,
alt.politics.clinton, alt.politics.homosexuality,
alt.politics.republicans, alt.politics.usa.*,
alt.politics.white-power, etc.     

She/He has rebuffed my personal emails asking her/him to stop this
behavior, or at least to take her discussions to a more suitable
forum.

I am very tired of your customers's continued harrassment of the
people who are trying to have on-topic discussions in these
newsgroups. I think a simple email from you might do the trick.

If you need anymore info from me, let me know.
------

Brent Burton

unread,
May 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/11/98
to

Joe D <jo...@jump.net> wrote:
| This is a very bad idea, for several reasons. But the best of all is
| that, idiot though he may be, he has the right to be an idiot in this
| public forum.

I hope others can see the difference between absolute rights and
the inherent consideration, courtesy and responsibility these rights
require. So many on the 'net just don't grok it. For this, letters
to Travid's ISP *are* a good idea.

Do this, and doing it with effect, isn't limiting his speech since there
are other forums he can freely participate in. Asking him to control his
spewings in austin.general (or other .generals) is a reasonable request.

later,
-bpb

--
==================
Brent | brentb@
Burton | io.com
==================

Jay Patrick Howard

unread,
May 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/11/98
to

Charlie (zebra...@email.msn.com) wrote:

: dangerous!! I will be sending a complaint against you in as well, for =
: conspiring to deny another participant's First Amendment Rights!! =20

And I will be reporting you for encoding your posts in that obnoxious
MIME format. ;)

Seriously though, Matt has a point. One's constitutional right to free
speech does not justify harassment and misuse of public property.

Erik

unread,
May 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/11/98
to

On Mon, 11 May 1998 08:14:26 -0500, Tracey Levin <trac...@swbell.net> scrawled
out:

> Matt, *.general groups are open to general topics of discussion.

> Matt, are you gay?

Irrelevant ad hominem.

utexas.general is for general discussion about UT. If it were open to all
topics, why name it? Why have any distinctions amongst newsgroups?

You're wrong.


- Erik Smith
[ http://helix.dorm.utexas.edu ]
["Your indignation, your problem." ]
[My real e-mail is at chrysalis.org]

Jeffrey E. Salzberg

unread,
May 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/11/98
to

In article <6j77mq$b...@bolivia.earthlink.net>,
"Charlie" <zebra...@email.msn.com> wrote:

> dangerous!! I will be sending a complaint against you in as well, for =


> conspiring to deny another participant's First Amendment Rights!!

While you are correct in that we should all be very careful to not vilate the
spirit of the first amendment, remember that, technically, only governments
can actually violate the letter of it.

Charlie

unread,
May 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/11/98
to
Jay
 
And, what justifies harassment and misuse in your book?  It's all subjective.  Now, if a person has a personal complaint against a specific person, then by a means, file a complaint.  But, to try and rally people to conspire to chase someone off because they don't like what that person has to say, is wrong.  What if next week, Matt goes on a rampage against blacks? or hispanics? or Jews? Etc? Etc? Etc?  Will you still claim this position?
 
As for my use of html, I use it more than I do groups that don't.  I prefer it to plain text, since using it is part of my work.  Maybe this board should consider moving into the 20th century? :-)
Jay Patrick Howard wrote in message <6j79kd$n...@opus.cs.utexas.edu>...
Charlie (zebra...@email.msn.com) wrote:

: dangerous!!  I will be sending a complaint against you in as well, for =

James Corral

unread,
May 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/11/98
to

In article <35580d63...@news3.bga.com>, clayn@NO_JUNKbga.com wrote:

>On Mon, 11 May 1998 06:59:37 GMT, ma...@mail.utexas.edu (Matt) wrote:
>

>>I'm so tired of Tracey's continued off-topic postings to these
>>newsgroups. I sent an email to ab...@swbell.net complaining about
>>her.. Maybe if we band together, we can make her go away. Those of us
>>interested in what she has to say (or in debating her) should be able
>>to find her in talk.politics.misc.
>

>I'll say again, I think this is childish. First of all it is very
>unlikely that swbell will do anything. Second, Tracey was the reason


>kill files are an essentail feature. Use them.

I don't see anything childish in this idea. As for kill files, I'm tired of
having to kill 5-6 subjects everyday.

James Corral

"Powered by Macintosh"

remove NOSPAM to reply by email

Bud

unread,
May 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/11/98
to

Tracey Levin <trac...@swbell.net> wrote in article
<3556F9...@swbell.net>...

> Matt wrote:
> >
> > I'm so tired of Tracey's continued off-topic postings to these
> > newsgroups.
>
> Matt, *.general groups are open to general topics of discussion.
> Matt, are you gay?
>
Matt may or may not be gay, but one thing we all know is that Tracey -- you
are an idiot!!!!


Joe D

unread,
May 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/11/98
to

Brent Burton <bre...@pentagon.io.com> wrote:
> I hope others can see the difference between absolute rights and
> the inherent consideration, courtesy and responsibility these rights
> require. So many on the 'net just don't grok it. For this, letters
> to Travid's ISP *are* a good idea.

I understand it just fine. And for the record, I think that Travid's
crossposting is flagrant net abuse.

Unfortunately, unless the charter for the group is changed, it's not
explicitly forbidden.

Joe D
--
It's hard to be an anarchist if you have a mortgage.

Clay

unread,
May 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/11/98
to

On Mon, 11 May 1998 14:04:45 -0500, NOSPAM-...@mail.utexas.edu
(James Corral) wrote:

>I don't see anything childish in this idea. As for kill files, I'm tired of
>having to kill 5-6 subjects everyday.

Tracey is a troll. And is trolling is getting less and less
interesting. Few things are worse then a boring troll. However,
attempts to restrict his rights (which is what is if this IS public
property) you would have to prove that he/she caused you some sort of
harm. So far he (unless Tracey objects or clarifies I'm just going to
use 'he') hasn't hurt anyone. It isn't as if he were going around
threatening people or anything. It is just Usenet litter. Ignore it
as you would any spam.

Brent Burton

unread,
May 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/11/98
to

Joe D <jo...@jump.net> wrote:
|Brent Burton <bre...@pentagon.io.com> wrote:
|> I hope others can see the difference between absolute rights and [...]

|
|I understand it just fine. And for the record, I think that Travid's
|crossposting is flagrant net abuse.

No offense/attack implied.

|Unfortunately, unless the charter for the group is changed, it's not
|explicitly forbidden.

However, *this* is what I'm talking about. It (the net abuse Travid
participates in) shouldn't need to be explicitly prohibited. I'd hate for
every *.general group to have to lay down the law in clearly-defined
"topics X is Good and Y is Bad" terms. Explicit terms are ineffective.
My point is that recognizing and following established customs and
standards is a large part of net.usage. Asking someone to follow is not
unreasonable or childish.

cheers,

Brent Burton

unread,
May 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/11/98
to

clayn@NO_JUNKbga.com wrote:
| However, attempts to restrict his rights (which is what is if this IS
| public property) you would have to prove that he/she caused you some
| sort of harm. [...]

As in driving, participating in usenet is not a right. One agrees to
their ISP's usage policy (which may or may not mention Usenetiquette).
One, by participating in news and the newsgroups, should follow custom.

BTW, which part(s) of the privately-owned ISPs/Internet is public
property? When the Internet was Arpanet, it was clearly Big Goverment's
doing (and clearly trying to subterfuge your individual rights with
10Base-2 nooses). Now that the Internet is co-owned like such a bastard
socialistic goverment, exactly which router did YOUR taxes pay for?

And given the communal cost-sharing and configuring of the Internet, why
are undying pioneers of rugged individualism like Travid participating?

Jay Patrick Howard

unread,
May 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/11/98
to

Charlie (zebra...@email.msn.com) wrote:

: And, what justifies harassment and misuse in your book?

Flooding a newsgroup with posts that aren't related to the acknowledged
topic of the group? My preferred newsreader happens to not implement
killfiles. There are so many Tracey-originated threads now, I can hardly
tell when something on-topic actually appears.

: Now, if a person has a personal complaint against a =
: specific person, then by a means, file a complaint.

I do, and I have.


: But, to try and =
: rally people to conspire to chase someone off because they don't like =
: what that person has to say, is wrong.

That would be wrong, but that's not what Matt did. He simply voiced his
opinion that Tracey was misusing this group, and encouraged others who
agree to take action.


: What if next week, Matt goes on =
: a rampage against blacks? or hispanics? or Jews? Etc? Etc? Etc? Will =
: you still claim this position?

In that case, his posts would no longer be on-topic for the newsgroup, and
I'd send off a complaint about him as well.

Tracey Levin

unread,
May 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/11/98
to

Charlie wrote:
>
> Jay
>
> And, what justifies harassment and misuse in your book? It's all
> subjective. Now, if a person has a personal complaint against a
> specific person, then by a means, file a complaint. But, to try and

> rally people to conspire to chase someone off because they don't like
> what that person has to say, is wrong. What if next week, Matt goes
> on a rampage against blacks? or hispanics? or Jews? Etc? Etc? Etc?
> Will you still claim this position?
>

BTW, I have stated before that if members of the homosexual community
were responsible for writing the Amendments to the Constitution, freedom
of speech would probably be limited to talking about the weather.

Tracey Levin

unread,
May 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/11/98
to

Brent Burton wrote a bunch of silly stuff.


Brent, I will say what I think no matter what you think about it.
If you do not like what I write, don't read my posts.
If talking about sin and homosexuality in the same sentence
bothers you, maybe you need to turn to the Lord and work it out with
him.

But, I promise you that you cannot quiet the opposition to
homosexuality. The Boy Scouts have won. Ellen is gone. And things are
beginingto look much brighter. This country is not pro-homosexual. It
never has been, nor will it ever be. If you want to be queer, no one
can stop you, but don't expect the rest of the population to accept what
youre doing as normal and wonderful or on par with normal
heterosexuality in marriage.
What is the average life expectancy of the homosexaul?
I know the answer, do you?

You would think what with so many leftists seekng to eliminate all
dangers in life through some provision of government that they would
also describe the awfulness of the gay lifestyle. Many commit suicide
because of the frustration of the lifestyle. Many have more than one
STD not counting HIV. Their lives are cut short by almost 20 years on
average! Is this a lifestyle that should be touted as wonderful and
equal to heterosexuality?

Tracey Levin

unread,
May 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/11/98
to

Charlie wrote:
>
> Jay
>
> And, what justifies harassment and misuse in your book? It's all
> subjective. Now, if a person has a personal complaint against a
> specific person, then by a means, file a complaint. But, to try and
> rally people to conspire to chase someone off because they don't like
> what that person has to say, is wrong. What if next week, Matt goes
> on a rampage against blacks? or hispanics? or Jews? Etc? Etc? Etc?
> Will you still claim this position?
>
> As for my use of html, I use it more than I do groups that don't. I
> prefer it to plain text, since using it is part of my work. Maybe
> this board should consider moving into the 20th century? :-)

I agree on both points. HTML is great and I do use it.

Tracey Levin

unread,
May 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/11/98
to

James Corral wrote:

> I don't see anything childish in this idea. As for kill files, I'm tired of
> having to kill 5-6 subjects everyday.
>

> James Corral

Well James, take your best shot, Pal. But remember, Im a girl and if
I tell Clinton that youre picking on me, he will take away your rights
to keep and bear arms. And, who knows what I might do to you by myself!
Girls have their ways you know.

luke

unread,
May 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/11/98
to

Tracey Levin wrote:
>
> Brent Burton wrote a bunch of silly stuff.
>
> Brent, I will say what I think no matter what you think about it.
> If you do not like what I write, don't read my posts.
> If talking about sin and homosexuality in the same sentence
> bothers you, maybe you need to turn to the Lord and work it out with
> him.
>
> But, I promise you that you cannot quiet the opposition to
> homosexuality. The Boy Scouts have won. Ellen is gone. And things are
> beginingto look much brighter.

ohhh really....tracey/david, you really like to ignore facts, don't you.

Just today, the Rhode Island House of Representatives voted to repeal
that state's sodomy law.

Philadelphia PA and Fayetteville AK have become just two of the newest
cities in the country to add "sexual orientation" to their equal rights
statements, and Philiadelphia now offers domestic partnerships.

The state of Arizona last week added "sexual orientation" to it equal
rights amendment.

The Boy Scouts lost in New Jersey, the City of Berkley voted this
weekend to withdraw the free berths that the city had been providing to
the Boy Scouts, and the United Way across the country has dropped the
Boy Scouts.

The future looks bright, all right, bright for those who believe in
equal rights for everyone.

However, if you tend to be an idiot...well, its time to turn off the
lights.

This country is not pro-homosexual. It
> never has been, nor will it ever be. If you want to be queer, no one
> can stop you, but don't expect the rest of the population to accept what
> youre doing as normal and wonderful or on par with normal
> heterosexuality in marriage.

Let's see, Hawaii has already ruled that they cannot withhold marriage
from same-sex couples, Alaska has a simular ruling, and cases are now
pending in Vermont and New Jersey...I'd say things are changing...for
the better.

> What is the average life expectancy of the homosexaul?
> I know the answer, do you?

Oh gawd.,,,,now you've been reading Paul Cameron, who BTW lost his
professional credintials for falsifying research on just this question.
According to Cameron, the average life expentancy of homosexuals is just
30 years, but he got that figure by taking one issue of the "Washington
Blade" and averaging the ages of those listed in the obits. Real
scientific.

Oh, and he's an idiot too....

>
> You would think what with so many leftists seekng to eliminate all
> dangers in life through some provision of government that they would
> also describe the awfulness of the gay lifestyle.

The gay lifestyle is not deadly, however, homophobia is.

Many commit suicide
> because of the frustration of the lifestyle.

You need to read the studies closer. The roots of the flustration is
found in the bashing of gays and lesbians by idiots like yourself.

Many have more than one
> STD not counting HIV.

Ok...how about the recent studies that show that one in five teenagers
have veneral warts? That AIDS is on the rise in the teenage population
(the straight teenage population, that is)....and why? Because real men
don't use condoms, at least according to their parents and religious
leaders.

Their lives are cut short by almost 20 years on
> average! Is this a lifestyle that should be touted as wonderful and
> equal to heterosexuality?

Well, it is wonder and it is equal to heterosexuality.

And you are an idiot....

Now, go away.

Robert

David Smith

unread,
May 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/11/98
to

Actually, SW Bell will revoke the account if any disparaging remarks are
made about Southwestern Bell. It is in their acceptable use policy. (See
http://www.swbell.net/legal/use.html, particularly the section banning
"Materials which hold SBIS including its affiliates, employees or
shareholders up to public scorn or ridicule. ")

Personally, I respect Chuck Herrick more than when he was a regular. Sure
he was a curmudgeon but he was austin.general's curmudgeon.


Clay wrote in message <35580d63...@news3.bga.com>...


>
>I'll say again, I think this is childish. First of all it is very
>unlikely that swbell will do anything. Second, Tracey was the reason
>kill files are an essentail feature. Use them.

>_______________________________
>Clay Niemann
>www.dillonet.com


Charlie

unread,
May 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/11/98
to
Nighthawk,
 
If that is strictly your gripe, you and others could facilitate it by removing the NG's that you don't want listed when you reply.  As for the point of rights, and foreign government's.  A couple years ago, a country wanted to restrict certain material from being seen in their country, they went to court, and won the right to censor their services, but it was made clear in that no country could infringe on the individuals rights that he has in his own country.  The court stated that the internet is a place where the individual is most important and it was individual rights that would be held to this standard.
Nighthawk wrote in message <35579c92...@news.tamu.edu>...
"Charlie" <zebra...@email.msn.com> wrote:

>conspiring to deny another participant's First Amendment Rights!! =20

Charlie,
Who ever said that the first amendement applies to all of the
Internet?

I certainly seem to recall that the internet is a GLOBAL, VIRTUAL
construct.  Many countries do not have a First Amendment.  When
someone is posting from the Ukraine, does their government have the
right to censor their speech... we may not like it but Damn Skippy
they do.

The right to free speech as Oliver Wendell Holmes far more eloquently
stated than I could, does not give someone the carte blanche right to
say anything anywhere.  The specific example of this is yelling fire
in a theater -- this is not constitutionally protected.

You *might* have a little stronger argument in the argument of freedom
of the press, but this is not press in any strict sense of the word.

Legal theologians are struggling with how to define the internet, and
I think that will be its ultimate demise.

Right now we self regulate, when someone like Tracey the Troll annoys
the shit out of us we tell Him/Her to go away.

If Tracey is a TU alum, or lives in Austin, these would be the
appropriate forums for his/her rantings. Since it would not be
possible to be a simultaneous member of the communities of austin,
dfw, houston, utexas and tamu, those of us trying to have our own
discussions would appreciate not being included in all of the others
as well.

If everyone had universal freedom of speech the way you seem to think
the Internet should work, then we'd have 15,000 channels of Public
Access TV (and there'd still never be anything good on)  In this case
Tracey would be on five channels at once - kinda rude if you're
channel surfing trying to get to ESPN  :)

Tracey Levin

unread,
May 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/11/98
to

Robert acting like luke wrote a bunch of silly stuff.

Tracey Levin

unread,
May 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/11/98
to

Nighthawk wrote:
>
> "Charlie" <zebra...@email.msn.com> wrote:
>
> >conspiring to deny another participant's First Amendment Rights!! =20
>
> Charlie,
> Who ever said that the first amendement applies to all of the
> Internet?
>
> I certainly seem to recall that the internet is a GLOBAL, VIRTUAL
> construct.

Wrong. It has become that, but it was designed to be a communications
medium for defense research DARPA etc. Thus, it is American made. Even
the first browsers were American designed. In the past month, our
favorite Marxist turned over the control of the Net to some group of
europeans with respect to name authorization, but they have no control
over content, yet.

> Many countries do not have a First Amendment.

Nooo! Say it isn't so! I suppose you suggesting then that our
freedoms should be equally limited because other countries don't have
the same level of freedom that we enjoy??? Now, isn't that funny!
Thats just like OBE! So, we all shoot for the bottom instead of
encouraging governments to allow people to speak freely on the Net???

Tracey Levin

unread,
May 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/11/98
to

Chip Rosenthal wrote:

> The Nazi assholes who post from dorm.utexas.edu, for instance, should
> be granted a certain right of access. David (Houston) and Speedbump
> (Massachusetts) should not.

What about fat Jewish boys who have ugly pictures on their systems?

Tracey Levin

unread,
May 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/11/98
to

Will Bell wrote:

> Travid's style of posting is to just splat it to as many .general's as
> possible, because he knows that his sophomoric arguments won't last 5
> seconds in a legitimate forum such as a talk.politics.*

illlBlew, you don't have the brain power to counter any of my
messages.

Anthony Sloan

unread,
May 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/11/98
to

Tracey Levin wrote:
>
> Matt wrote:
> >
> > I'm so tired of Tracey's continued off-topic postings to these
> > newsgroups.
>
> Matt, *.general groups are open to general topics of discussion.


Travid is a paper tiger at best, incapable of causing any real harm.
Let him type and either ignore him or engage in the all too easy task of
exposing his hypocrisy.

Expending effort to censure him gives far too much importance to a mere
usenet troll.

Anthony

--
"Things that upset a terrier may pass virtually unnoticed by a Great
Dane."

Smiley Blanton

Chip Rosenthal

unread,
May 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/12/98
to

In article <6j7ir0$liu$1...@news.jumpnet.com>, Joe D <jo...@jump.net> wrote:
>Unfortunately, unless the charter for the group is changed, it's not
>explicitly forbidden.

I disagree. It's prohibited under the "rude guest" provision.

The Nazi assholes who post from dorm.utexas.edu, for instance, should
be granted a certain right of access. David (Houston) and Speedbump
(Massachusetts) should not.

--
Chip Rosenthal * Unicom Systems Development http://www.unicom.com/
Has your mail server been spamproofed? http://maps.vix.com/tsi/
Outlaw junk email * Support CAUCE http://www.cauce.org/
"Sure it's working, but couldn't you shine it up some?"

Nighthawk

unread,
May 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/12/98
to

"Charlie" <zebra...@email.msn.com> wrote:

>conspiring to deny another participant's First Amendment Rights!! =20

Charlie,
Who ever said that the first amendement applies to all of the
Internet?

I certainly seem to recall that the internet is a GLOBAL, VIRTUAL

construct. Many countries do not have a First Amendment. When

Will Bell

unread,
May 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/12/98
to

In a previous article, "Charlie" <zebra...@email.msn.com> wrote:
>
>Mind telling me what topics are acceptable here? And, is it your habit =
>of stepping of the Constitutional Freedoms that we are all supposed to =
>enjoy? It's not Tracey that worries me, it's idiots like you that are =

Sadly, you miss the point. I don't think anyone would deny Travid
the right to post what s/he wants to, it's just the choice of venue.

Anyone with a bit of netiquette left in them (if there are any such
people remaining) knows good and well what is and isn't appropriate to
post to .general newsgroups. Random political screeds du jour are not
on the list unless they are of specific regional interest.

Travid's style of posting is to just splat it to as many .general's as
possible, because he knows that his sophomoric arguments won't last 5

seconds in a legitimate forum such as a talk.politics.* so he sticks to
where he can still get a rise out of people.

Anyway, a carefully constructed kill file can get rid of most Travid
generated information in this newsgroup*, here's some of mine for a
starting point. This is my recommended approach for dealing with him.

/davi...@flash.net/h:,=
/trac...@swbell.net/h:,=
/Newsgroups:.*general,.*general,.*general,.*/h:j=

("This newsgroup" is dfw.general, for me. God knows how many other
.general's have been touched at one time or another by Travid.)

--
Will Bell -- wbb at netcom dot com -- DeepinahartaTexas
Spamblock removed since it wasn't doing any good anyway.

Brent Burton

unread,
May 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/12/98
to

trac...@swbell.net wrote:
| [...] If talking about sin and homosexuality in the same sentence
| bothers you, maybe you need to turn to the Lord and work it out with
| him.

I don't think I need to drag Him into this, because I don't have a problem
with *what* you say. David/Tracey, I am not talking about this one thread
only. I am talking about how you crosspost nearly every issue you deem
important to a variety of unrelated groups. Why tamu.general? What's
specific about TAMU to your threads? Why austin.general -- what's
specific about Austin? If you want relevant groups, try the
following:
alt.politics
alt.politics.homosexuality
alt.politics.economics
alt.politics.radical-left
talk.politics.*

I'm sure with that mix you can find hours upon hours of entertainment.
Of course, each region typically has it's own .politics group,
*presumably* for *local* issues. Ahem.

| [...] If you want to be queer, no one can stop you, but don't expect


| the rest of the population to accept what youre doing as normal and
| wonderful or on par with normal heterosexuality in marriage.

I suggest you substitute "one" for "you" because the personal tone of
your note is misdirected. Obviously, you know nothing about my
personal life. Hint: I married in Texas four years ago.

| You would think what with so many leftists seekng to eliminate all
| dangers in life through some provision of government that they would
| also describe the awfulness of the gay lifestyle.

Homosexuality isn't necessarily more dangerous than heterosexuality.
*Promiscuity* and poor decisions are the risk.

David, you know the drill.

Erik

unread,
May 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/12/98
to

On Mon, 11 May 1998 23:08:08 -0500, Tracey Levin <trac...@swbell.net> scrawled
out:

> illlBlew, you don't have the brain power to counter any of my
>messages.

[snicker]

Tracey, you're an idiot.

Coming from you, that's an admission of inferiority.


- Erik Smith
[ http://helix.dorm.utexas.edu ]
["Your indignation, your problem." ]
[My real e-mail is at chrysalis.org]

Colin Allen

unread,
May 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/12/98
to

Tracey Levin <trac...@swbell.net> wrote:
>the first browsers were American designed.

You are *soooooo* ignorant.

Read http://www.w3.org/History.html and learn something.

--
Colin Allen
http://snaefell.tamu.edu/~colin/

Clayton Colwell

unread,
May 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/12/98
to

Wallowing in irony, Charlie (zebra...@email.msn.com) wrote:

: As for my use of html, I use it more than I do groups that don't. I =
: prefer it to plain text, since using it is part of my work. Maybe this =
: board should consider moving into the 20th century? :-)

Um, this is not a "board", this is a USENET newsgroup.

****** Clay Colwell (aka StealthSmurf) ********** er...@bga.com ******
* "In the future, we will recognize software crashes as technologically *
* mandated ergonomic rest breaks - and we will pay extra for them." *
* -- Crazy Uncle Joe Hannibal *

Clay

unread,
May 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/12/98
to

On Tue, 12 May 1998 01:36:05 GMT, ch...@unicom.com (Chip Rosenthal)
wrote:

>The Nazi assholes who post from dorm.utexas.edu, for instance, should
>be granted a certain right of access. David (Houston) and Speedbump
>(Massachusetts) should not.

So now the ability to participate on a global network is limited by
physical location?

Patrick L. Humphrey

unread,
May 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/12/98
to

er...@bga.com (Clayton Colwell) writes:

>Wallowing in irony, Charlie (zebra...@email.msn.com) wrote:

>: As for my use of html, I use it more than I do groups that don't. I =
>: prefer it to plain text, since using it is part of my work. Maybe this =
>: board should consider moving into the 20th century? :-)

>Um, this is not a "board", this is a USENET newsgroup.

Indeed...maybe Charlie (and his ISP) should consider moving into the late 20th
century.

--PLH, there goes another irony meter

Clay

unread,
May 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/12/98
to

On Tue, 12 May 1998 02:43:30 GMT, w...@netcom.com (Will Bell) wrote:

>Anyone with a bit of netiquette left in them (if there are any such
>people remaining) knows good and well what is and isn't appropriate to
>post to .general newsgroups. Random political screeds du jour are not
>on the list unless they are of specific regional interest.

So now we have to watch what we post in a .general newsgroup? I'll
agree that Tracey is rude to crosspost his boring, predictable, and
phoney brain farts. However, I would rather have the option of
reading or ignoring him then worry about watching everything I say and
do for fear I'll get MY ISP called.

Clayton Colwell

unread,
May 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/12/98
to

[followups limited to austin.general and houston.general]

Tracey Levin (trac...@swbell.net) wrote:

: BTW, I have stated before that if members of the homosexual community


: were responsible for writing the Amendments to the Constitution, freedom
: of speech would probably be limited to talking about the weather.

DejaNews to the rescue!
Funny thing, Tracey. DejaNews has nothing like that archived
over the last two years for you. It *does* have something similar
to this statement made in May & June of 1997 -- by David.

References --
Subject: Re: Marriage and the Gay Political Caucus
Message-ID <33907C...@flash.net>, written by davi...@flash.net

" If today, homosexuals were writing the Constitution, do you think
they would recognize the God given right to Freedom of Speech?"

Subject: Re: brett hawn and homosexuality: If they are bible thumping morons, they are abnormal and should be shot on
Message-ID <3398A7...@flash.net>, written by davi...@flash.net

" A few days ago, I stated something like what if homosexuals were
writing the Constitution at this time in history, would they respect the
rights God has given us all like freedom of speech, freedom of the
press, personal property rights, etc."


Give up the false front, Travid. I don't see why you take
so much pride in being proven an idiot over and over again.

Clayton Colwell

unread,
May 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/12/98
to

Tracey Levin (trac...@swbell.net) wrote:
: Robert acting like luke wrote a bunch of silly stuff.

IOW: "I, Travid the Idiot, once again cannot refute anything
Robert said."

<sarcasm> Color me so surprised. </sarcasm>

kitten

unread,
May 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/12/98
to

luke wrote:
>

[snip]

> Robert

kitten giggles and pokes Robert. "Hey Rob, your SO's showing again."

--
--> kitten <--
cain...@usa.net
<insert witty quote here>

kitten

unread,
May 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/12/98
to

Clay wrote:
>
> However, I would rather have the option of
> reading or ignoring him then worry about watching everything I say and
> do for fear I'll get MY ISP called.

kitten grins impishly. "Go ahead, call my ISP. I'll probably answer the
phone." ;)

Erik

unread,
May 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/12/98
to

On Tue, 12 May 1998 01:36:05 GMT, ch...@unicom.com (Chip Rosenthal) scrawled out:

>The Nazi assholes who post from dorm.utexas.edu, for instance, should
>be granted a certain right of access. David (Houston) and Speedbump
>(Massachusetts) should not.

Huh?

This has me baffled. The National Alliance folks ["Nazi assholes?"] aren't
"from" dorm.utexas.edu.

Chip Rosenthal

unread,
May 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/12/98